Armadillo Deterrent?

I've got armadillos digging up the rows in my garden at work. I'm trying to avoid building a hog-wire fence, which is what most gardeners in this area seem to do. Last year we had a pretty good pack of yard dogs, which must have kept them away. The dogs are gone now, and the armadillos are free to browse with impunity...Anyone here experienced this problem?

dang!!!........... wish i had armadillos digging up in my garden......... we consider armadillo a "wild meat" treat in trinidad........... send them by me........

but i'm thinking some type of fence may be yur best option....

trinicoolieboy said:
dang!!!........... wish i had armadillos digging up in my garden......... we consider armadillo a "wild meat" treat in trinidad........... send them by me........

but i'm thinking some type of fence may be yur best option....

Really!!! I never thought about eating one. They must be a bitch to clean.

Windchicken, get some more dogs.

Thanks for all the replies. AjarnV, that's what my coworkers said to do, too, except they suggested a 12-gauge. Only problem is armadillos are nocturnal, and there's no one there at night to watch for them. MrArboc (dig your avatar!) I like that idea, but it's a pretty big garden, and a perimeter of even a cheap chile powder would be prohibitively expensive. Trinicoolieboy, we eat armadillos here in Louisiana, too, usually barbecued. I reckon I could set a trap out, but I'm certain there would be more...Our yard is in a rural wooded area where armadillos are abundant.

It looks like a hog-wire fence, with the bottom edge buried a foot in the ground is the way to go. The only other thing I can think of is an electric fence, but that would be about the same amount of trouble and expense. Again, thanks so much for your help. I've got 72 plants in containers ready to go in the ground, but now it looks like they will have to wait until I get a fence put in...

windchicken said:
Thanks for all the replies. AjarnV, that's what my coworkers said to do, too, except they suggested a 12-gauge. Only problem is armadillos are nocturnal, and there's no one there at night to watch for them. MrArboc (dig your avatar!) I like that idea, but it's a pretty big garden, and a perimeter of even a cheap chile powder would be prohibitively expensive. Trinicoolieboy, we eat armadillos here in Louisiana, too, usually barbecued. I reckon I could set a trap out, but I'm certain there would be more...Our yard is in a rural wooded area where armadillos are abundant.

It looks like a hog-wire fence, with the bottom edge buried a foot in the ground is the way to go. The only other thing I can think of is an electric fence, but that would be about the same amount of trouble and expense. Again, thanks so much for your help. I've got 72 plants in containers ready to go in the ground, but now it looks like they will have to wait until I get a fence put in...

There was a day when the 44 would've been my solution; but the buried hog wire sounds good. They are kind of cute. Cheers.

I've got these little bastards nosing up my tomatoes and peppers in my front yard, too. I'm all ears for how you'll beat 'em.

They seem to be random with their mayhem. My guess is they stumble around blindly till they smell worms.

Hi Patrick!

Patrick, I've definitely been thinking about leaving them in pots. I really like planting things straight into our Red River alluvium, though. This is probably a subject for a another thread, but it's commonly acknowledged among the farmers of this valley that peppers planted in the river sand will be crazy hot. In fact, I've been told that if I plant my jalapeños straight into the ground that they will be too hot to eat. Naturally, I did just that, and yes, they came out crazy, wonderful nuclear! As for the Caribbean Reds, well...

7735_1150552207241_1330704158_30523867_3566414_n.jpg

7735_1144540936963_1330704158_30507637_151267_n.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

DarkTrak, are you sure you're not from Louisiana? :) The Wikipedia entry for Tannerite has a photo of Bubba blowing up a car with the stuff...

Eephus Man, will do, and I feel your pain. There's a fair-sized pine tree near the garden that they have almost completely uprooted. Got to admire their digging ability...

Once more, thanks everyone for your responses. This forum kicks ass...

Back