• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ARRRGGHH!!1 This weather is pissing me off!!!

I planted the plants extra early this year. I started hardening them off about a week and a half ago and they are still not hardened off to the sun (we had sun today and they only lasted a few minutes in direct sun b/f wilting...but I kept them out for an hour). In the shade they are mostly fine for a good 6 hours.

We're going to have one decent day (today) and rain and overcast for the next 10+ days!!! I WANT TO PLANT THE PEPPERS!

I may just leave them out overnight in the garage (with the door close) too see if the survive. If they do I'll leave them outside overnight. If they survive that, I'm going to plant weather be damned!

What do you guys think? Am I getting too antsy?

imaguitargod said:
I planted the plants extra early this year. I started hardening them off about a week and a half ago and they are still not hardened off to the sun (we had sun today and they only lasted a few minutes in direct sun b/f wilting...but I kept them out for an hour). In the shade they are mostly fine for a good 6 hours.

We're going to have one decent day (today) and rain and overcast for the next 10+ days!!! I WANT TO PLANT THE PEPPERS!

I may just leave them out overnight in the garage (with the door close) too see if the survive. If they do I'll leave them outside overnight. If they survive that, I'm going to plant weather be damned!

What do you guys think? Am I getting too antsy?

Yes.

why not plant a few soon as you can and see what happens.
if it gets too cold, maybe cover them up???
here in sw part of ohio, I have volunteer peppers from last year starting to grow in the ground, so the ground here is warm enough for pepper growing anyway..
wether it stays warm enough is another question... I starting to get my plants outside, but will wait a week or two now, at least, and depending on this rain.......
I would have put some in the ground this weekend if i had anyt ready.

Hey look Iggy I'd wait until the after the rain this week. No sense in flooding out your plants the first week you plant out all my back-ups are hardier almost every year. Keep your plants safe.:)

Don't do it. Be patient my son. Remember, we in Mi. last year had a frost on June 3rd i believe. Chris will tell you what happens to those who get impatient.

krukurr said:
why not plant a few soon as you can and see what happens.
if it gets too cold, maybe cover them up???
here in sw part of ohio, I have volunteer peppers from last year starting to grow in the ground, so the ground here is warm enough for pepper growing anyway..
wether it stays warm enough is another question... I starting to get my plants outside, but will wait a week or two now, at least, and depending on this rain.......
I would have put some in the ground this weekend if i had anyt ready.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey look Iggy I'd wait until the after the rain this week. No sense in flooding out your plants the first week you plant out all my back-ups are hardier almost every year. Keep your plants safe.:)

I'm not really worried about the cold. It's not going to freeze anytime this season anymore. I'm mainly worried about the rain (like PRF mentioned) and the sun. They aren't completely hardened off because we don't have any sun going on right now.

Yeah, we had a few days of near 80F weather here.
Now, all this week is cold and rainy, actually wearing a sweater.

this week:
weather_5-4-09.png

We've had a ton of rain here too. I've been leaving mine in the garage with the door open in the day and then closed at night. They really seem to love the light even though it's overcast. Big contrast to the 90+ temps we had a week ago or so. The strong sun really crushed a bunch of my primary plants and like PRF said, my backups that were babied are now stronger. Patience pays.

Back