• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Asian Beetles

Ok, not sure how the hell they got in my basement, and only a few, but how do you keep this little stinky bastards from eating on your leaves?

Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) concentrate makes a cheap spray that works well for mosquitoes, hornworms and fungus gnats. I did some more searching around and it looks like it works on the Asian beetle grubs, not a whole lot for adults. Maybe someone else knows something better.

i did a google on asian beetle and got 2 results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_long-horned_beetle

as you can tell killing one of these would be wrong........ can you pick which one?

Hell RF I dunno. this time of year we get these suckers by the millions...they just don't normally mess with my peppers..they prefer soy beans. :)
I know they are aggressive, they bite, and they stink..and apparently if they get in your basement where you have plants, they like to eat them.

ok..just looked up an Asian longhorn..for SURE its not those. These ones look like a ladybug..just orange instead of red

i did a google on asian beetle and got 2 results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_long-horned_beetle

as you can tell killing one of these would be wrong........ can you pick which one?

yea I guess I better quit squashing these. i didnt realize that would trigger MORE...geesh

yea I guess I better quit squashing these. i didnt realize that would trigger MORE...geesh

i guess, i don't understand what your saying here, but i will put in red neck lingo, they are fucking ladybugs, what the hell do think you are doing!

i guess, i don't understand what your saying here, but i will put in red neck lingo, they are fucking ladybugs, what the hell do think you are doing!

lmao..nope..they aren't lady bugs..yes they look like lady bugs..but they aren't. Darker color and aggressive (they actually bite). They are darker than a lady bug. The USA brought them here years ago to try and fight aphids. They assumed it didn't work. I guess in the 80's they accidentally took over one way or another and now they are considered a pest. I know in this part of the country they are a major pain in the ass. They eat aphids but they also eat crops. If only they were cute little lady bugs..i would keep around..but trust me..they aren't lady bugs :)

too bad you do not have an army of beetle bashers!

oh, wait a minute

maybe you could get some extra hands to eradicate those

i care not if you just grab them and take them outside or

pound them into submission

then when you got their attention have them help get rid of the bugs

you see, now i would be completely confused, who knows, maybe i have been bringing in asian ladybugs into the house in the summer for my indoor plants - wiki's says they are used to control aphids.

Ummm no, not really, they are a different species. Squashing them makes them release a chemical that calls out to the rest "help I am being murdered".

you see, now i would be completely confused, who knows, maybe i have been bringing in asian ladybugs into the house in the summer for my indoor plants - wiki's says they are used to control aphids.
Yeah they are a major PITA in rural areas. We have seen hordes of these in my area for years, more so near farms that grow beans. They love aphids, but they also love plants.

From the link redtail posted which seemed to have a lot of good info on these it stated the following:

Multicolored Asian lady beetles are beneficial insects. Their natural control of aphids in pecan orchards has decreased insecticide use against those pests. Additionally, they have controlled aphids on some ornamental plants. Still, these lady beetles are unwelcome guests for many homeowners.

Are u sure its them that are chewing up your plants?

Back