• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

ASK THE NEXT PERSON ANYTHING ! GAME !

Why japan? Well there are lots of reasons haha. Filmost showed me a link to a flashsale for flights to tokyo. I missed out on the sale, but the flights during my spring break in march are relatively cheap 1350. I've been to japan once in the summer after 5th grade and loved the experience. I went with my best friend at the time who was japanese and had family there, we traveled to see the most of the country. Her family was in Osaka but we saw kyoto, hiroshima, but didn't see much of tokyo that I can recall. Now that I'm much older, I really want to experience japan, especially in another season such as it being cold in march. I think i'll miss the sakura blossoms, though I might take up the opportunity to go snowboarding in nagano. But to delve deeper into why japan, i've been influenced by various asian cultures my whole life. My mother grew up in hawaii and bangkok and singapore because my grandfather was a parisitologist traveling studying tropical diseases. Her influence was passed down to me and I was raised going to a thai buddhist temple that my mom and dad helped found and eventually got married in. Mainly, I love asian food and the real stuff, not americanized crap. I really want to meander around tokyo and enjoy a city known to have some of the best food in the world. I do watch anime and have watched naruto since the 7th grade, which has ended in the comic and will end soon in the anime, but I'm not one of those crazy anime nerds, so I'm not going to japan for the anime....especially since i don't know japanese and the whole cosplay thing isn't for me, but it would be interesting to look at. Honestly now that I think of why japan? It's hard to say, there's just something that's drawing me back  (maybe it's my obsessive tendencies like how I'm currently obsessed with peppers). I've been researching airbnb and am definitely on a budget, found a nice couple who teach english in tokyo and it's 17$ a day. I really want to experience a city like anthony bourdain would with its people, not really as a tourist. For that reason, and budget reasons, I'm trying to find someone to experience the city with that would let me crash for cheap. Those capsules are 30$ a night and me being 6`6 might be a bit too big. There's another host from airbnb for 10$ a day and he says he's fluent in english and would take me around which I would be really cool. I'm thinking march 3rd-22nd and miss a week of school. Still not sure if I would travel outside of tokyo aside from going snowboarding, maybe a week in kyoto and week in tokyo, but with the dates I have now I know I could spend the entire time in tokyo looking for things to do and not just be a tourist. Oh and i'd hit up the chileheads near tokyo too, i know there's a few ;)

Would you go to tokyo with me?

I would love to show you around. Trouble is we are really in a bind right now. May not even be able to afford christmas.
When near Tokyo you need to visit shabuya,ropongi, shinjaku, akasaka metska. Look them up.

Are you asian yourself?

I'm 100% white caucasian european lol there aren't too many 6`6 asians haha, but I definitely connect with them on a cultural level!

If you could visit anywhere for a year, where would it be?

Tom kha gai is a specialty of mine, thai chicken coconut soup. I also make a pretty mean red curry from scratch. I also make a pretty good panang and green using store bought paste, but honestly it's the addition of fresh ingredients like chopped kaffir lime and thai basil is what really spruces the dish up

what asian cuisine do you prefer the most?

Yes, I have a really good pho recipe if you want it. 

Obviously there are many styles of ramen, many japanese versions and even chinese versions. What country and style do you prefer? I like chinese hong kong style with roast duck, wontons and char sui pork but that's because i have it really good and local. Only japanese ramen I've had was tonkatsu which was really good, but expensive. I liked the ramen i made though from momofuku

If i had to choose one, chinese duck. Though i've been on a shrimp/pork wonton phase for a while, i usually get to choose 2 and go with either of those or the char sui 

What's your favorite fried rice? (country)

Not to big on curries. I should say i usually eat the tom som soups. I liked all the curries I have had and don't have a favorite.

Ever had the dried squid jerky. Big in Japan.

Ive had jack fruit and love it, but I don't think I've had durian. If offered iwill try, but I won't be buying it.

What's is the wierdest food you have tried?

jack fruit is delicious, i have a tree myself and a few seedlings if anyone near me wants one lol.  Durian is uhh, not so good...very pungent odor lol 

It depends what one considers weird. Balut is definitely up on the list, fried bull testicles were good, I like tongue, i've had pork intestines, brains, tripe (i think is stomach?) I really enjoy a nice bowl of menudo which is mexican tripe soup, jellyfish wasn't too pleasant, iguana frog and alligator tastes like chicken, the beating heart of a blackfin tuna

What do you think of dango? 

Dango? Had to look it up. Never had it but looks good. I've had nearly all that you mentioned and thought most of it was good. Tongue is good, tripe is ok, I like pazole better than menudo, had gater, jelly fish is ok, frog is good, never had mountain oysters, had balut. Sounds like our palets are about the same.

Philippines has bloodmeat. Ever had that?

I love blood sausage which I've had countless times at a few brazilian and argentinian steak houses as well as purchased my own to cook. Good stuff

What's something that you wouldn't eat that you know is a real dish?

Back