beer ASK WHEEBZ

wheebz said:
kolsch, or hybrd kind of deal

97 pils 3 carapils

1/2oz of some low AA hop at boil

whirlpool with 2 ounces pacifica, D Hop as needed

ferment with US-05 at 60 degrees, let it free rise after 3 days

okay, sounds good ... thanks!

probed liquid temp = 60F, as opposed to chamber env set at 60F with ~65F liquid in it from ferm heat - right? ...

Happy Sunday Slammage ...

Destroying glasses of a hopped-up spin on Ozzy's tripel ...

06525109c54428e6e7879f693917f05d.jpg

bb11478522c2c3fd1a98f05ce9ca961a.jpg

The people want to see a Backwoods Bastard disappear!

Wheebz

What infection is this?

It still taste okay....but it was freaking awesome right when it carbed up. It is a batch that I oak/bourbon aged awhile back.

It's not sour. It has an almost metallic smell, but the taste is just super dulled. I guess I could just bring one to you or send it out. I just done want to have the same issue.

has to be some sort of wild yeast infection creating that refermentation

ill be honest, thats one thing I still cant figure out what it is, that "homebrewy" metallic flavor

I tend to see it in extract beers, but its also from improperly stored malt, or could be just wild yeast that took hold, its something, but i only typically see it in homebrewed beers and I cant figure out what the cause of it is for the life of me

Well, when I brewed that one I had a large sack of grain and didn't have a storage container yet, so it was just rolled up. Everything else is always in ziplocks or vac'd. It's probably not that though, because this was from a 7.5gal batch that I split up, and everything else stayed great in the keg.

Must have been something from when I switched to the secondary with the wood chips and bourbon. I did soak the chips in the bourbon before adding them in the secondary.

Are there any other sanitizing techniques when using oak chips and liqor?

My money's on inadvertent under-pitch ...
In the beginning they taste ok, seems a little green, but the ingredient flavors are strong still and help cover ...

Then the ingredient flavors fade and the beer rounds and all's revealed ...

I'm crushing this mashup of your tripel vs columbus smash, and it's the first clean ferm at my house in a half-dozen batches ...

Towards your idea, though - infection - did you reuse the carboy, tubing etc from the wild beer?

No. everything g was sanatized prior to use. It was definitely enough yeast. Whole pack of rehydrated US05 for 2.5 gallons.
It was before I had idiophor though so I'm guessing the quick rinse stuff didn't do the job on the carboy.

Glad you like your Belgian IPA. I'm going to do a Belgian pale in the next few batches.

Just completed a Domination victory on Civ. Fun stuff.

A lot of folks seem to end up marking their gear that's had sour cultures and keeping them distinct unless they can use boil or steam temp (like kegs, but not carboys or most tubing save silicone) ...

I have kegs and tubing that aren't marked, that have had sour cultures, and I didn't not keep them separate ...

I won't complain too badly when it happens, though, because I was lazy - but at once knowing, I guess ...

Hmmm ...

I just used 3x month-pre-milled M.O. ...

Domination was awesome. It was only on king, but I'm about ready to crank it up. Religious victory is the only one I haven't done yet.
I guess next game I'll try Ghandi or Saladin and try that one.

Using Aztecs on the 6 cloverleaf map right now. Fun so far. Leaning towards dom or science right now.

There's some aspects of the new game I haven't totally figured out yet ...

Making peace is one of them ...

Another is that I have found myself with great people and no slots for them, often ...

Another is figuring out where tiles/hex's for Naturalists are easily ...

Back