• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies Astronomy

Been into astronomy for a few years, unfortunately clouds and weather has dominated so Ive rarely seen clear skies.
Was able to get on the 16th and got the best Jupiter pics so far, and a few good images of the moon :)

26465913486_7574660e79_o_zpskbqtv0xu.jpg

Clavius_zpstgd9qoen.png

CapernicusApril16_zpstznon3bo.jpg

Moon_April16HR-1500_zpsj46i0yub.jpg

damn that looks amazing.

can that camera thing do videos?

there is this flat earth genius on youtube that makes these insanely high quality videos of the moon... not as good as your pics, but very good. curious as to how he does this... is the moon bright enough to not need like multi second exposures?

The full moon is taken with a DSLR and I use 1/600 to /1200, the Moon is bright enough to take fast images. I used to use the DSLR video for the Planets, the ASI120mc is very sensitive and made for Astrophotgraphy. If you already have a dslr then you can use that, does not have to be expensive. The ASI120mc has an attachment so you can just do fish-eye frames or videos and mount on a tripod.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Good astrophotographers layer the photos over each other to create a better image. Wanted to get into astrophotography but it's a very expensive hobby.
where u been hiding lol? i dont think ive seen you in forever. or maby its because your avatar is different.
dragonsfire said:
The full moon is taken with a DSLR and I use 1/600 to /1200, the Moon is bright enough to take fast images. I used to use the DSLR video for the Planets, the ASI120mc is very sensitive and made for Astrophotgraphy. If you already have a dslr then you can use that, does not have to be expensive. The ASI120mc has an attachment so you can just do fish-eye frames or videos and mount on a tripod.
very cool... i saw a blog some time way back... guy took apart an expensive DSLR camera and added a thermoelectric cooler to the back of the assembly that holds the sensor... i guess it blew cold air around the sensor and got better quality pictures owing to less noise in the image. do people still do these mods? this was probably 5-6 years ago...

i also recall seeing some dudes telescope with a fan inside it? apparently to get the telescope mirrors to equilibrate with the air temps faster?

cool stuff gentlemen...

Depending on were you live their are many mods. The fan in the base of the scope is so the cool down time is shorter. Winter is the best time to take pics (well it used to be but its been dominated by clouds for 2 years) In the Summer my camera ca over heat, well the batteries (DSLR)do thats why cooling is preferred.

This is my Sky tracker were you can just use your camera and lens, theirs lots to see with just a 200mm lens. The tracker is $400 (I have since the next model up, 7.7lb version)
iOptronSkytracker_zpsulpvhgys.jpg

This is my attachment I used to pop the camera into the telescope Eye Piece for my Dobsonion.
dragonsfire-albums-equipment-picture105547-p1010114-epm2-primefocusbarlow-1000.jpg

here is my Astrobin site were it has all my stuff up to 2015 (they started charging space so I stopped)
http://www.astrobin.com/users/NeilMac/

queequeg152 said:
where u been hiding lol? i dont think ive seen you in forever. or maby its because your avatar is different.
I rarely visit this forum anymore queequeg. Not growing any peppers this season as I really don't eat them much anymore.

ahhhh. thats so cool... i used to follow satelites and junk all the time...

i always wanted to try and image some of the closer ones against the moon. you ever contemplate such a thing?

Back