• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Atlantic Journal "So God Made The Worlds Hottest Pepper"

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Interesting read my friend... Although i'm not sure if the Reaper does in fact have the highest average? I could be wrong.
I have not see the data on the reaper, and I doubt it will ever be released. But my guess would be the highest average would either be a brainstrain or a butchT. Im sure ed currie is a nice person. I think his reapers which I have, are a bit over-hyped as the "hottest", thought hot, they do not match the "average heat level " of a brown morunga, brain strain, butchT which are stable peppers. Perhaps some members can chime in-

Damned hot and tastes good.
Prolly another decade or so before the critical mass of casual hobbyists give up on the chase for the brass ring (IMHO) and the hard core flame brains can play in leisure with the hundreds or thousands of crosses and muties created in the race to the top.

Might even need an archivist or 6 to keep the original strains alive and isolated.

If lava munching becomes more mainstream, and less of a hobby for sado/masochists and endorphin junkies, all bets are off. :dance:

I did note that there was a negative tone towards backyard hobbyists. As if some how most of the guys who sell seeds were not backyard hobbyist hacks at one time. And now, that a "few", have fancy websites, where they peddle there seeds & wares, somehow they have arrived with a Phd in pepperology. Maybe im wrong I don't know...I personally admire some of these hobbyists who are pushing the limits on some of these superhot variants. Comon, without hobbyists like Nigel reviews, and others on here. This place would "not" be as interesting. Just saying..

The superhot craze and race has turned into a little kids slap fight. I mean seriously It's getting ridiculous who cares whether you can get a pepper 1.5 mil shu or 1.543 mil shu they are going to be hot either way no one in there right mind would eat three peppers past 1mil with a meal, they cook with it and even then one is enough for most meals. I don't care how high your tolerance is they arent enjoyable whole to its pointless to have worlds hottest the rush might be enjoyable but stomach cramps aren't fun

Nightshade said:
The superhot craze and race has turned into a little kids slap fight. I mean seriously It's getting ridiculous who cares whether you can get a pepper 1.5 mil shu or 1.543 mil shu they are going to be hot either way no one in there right mind would eat three peppers past 1mil with a meal, they cook with it and even then one is enough for most meals. I don't care how high your tolerance is they arent enjoyable whole to its pointless to have worlds hottest the rush might be enjoyable but stomach cramps aren't fun
I think the fight has to do with $$$. Ed is a big time farmer, so when you start getting lawyers involved. 99.9% of the time, that is a clear sign, that we are talking $10's,100's, possibly millions to be harvested in "small arms race" niche, of super hot peppers.

I had a pepper trade and got some butch T s, Morugas, and hp22b aka C reapers, not sure what strain the butch T was or which Moruga I got it looked just like a TSMB on flavor the hp22b reaper followed by moruga then butch t in heat #1 reaper # 2 moruga # 3 butch T the reapers were smaller and thinner fleshed and still beat the others in heat even when mixed in food hot is hot for next year I need to compare Reaper to Primo and Brain strain 7 pot and Mississippi strain butch T, and see what the mouth has to say about SHU

Ed Currie is not a "hobby" grower.  Whether or not the Carolina Reaper will be crowned the next "hottest-in-the-world" remains to be seen.  Ed's grown it out for several generations and has the parent plants for genetic references/testing.  It's a freeking hot chile and there are many posts from Ed in other forums regarding the integrity of that specific chile. 

If anyone has any questions about the Carolina Reaper, Ed has always encouraged folks to contact him.  Puckerbutt Pepper Co~

Unless someone pulls out a genetic Einstein out of there rear-end by crossing a butchT with Euphorbia resinifera to get the get the chem resiniferatoxin, then we could be looking at a potential of 1 billion SHU. Which will make our current SH look like ice cream sandwiches. But until then, the guys from Oz, i think will be producing the world record SH for years to come....

Nightshade said:
Eh x3 bhuts in my fajita yesterday ... ok it was a little to hot for a fajita and ruined dinner a little. X3 in a stir fry is ok though.

X1 moruga & X1 barakapore added to my thai curry dish I cooked up for tea this evening - perfect. Cooking just a dish for 1.

1 million is a lot if eaten on own but mixed with a dish it can become a hell of a lot more tolerable :)

Reapers are damn hot and taste decent, as well. They aren`t the hottest by any stretch IMHO, but they are a good pepper. I`d like to see a higher %-age with long tails, but we will in time probably. 

Here is the real data on CR testing,

http://bart-j-meijer-chillies.blogspot.com/2013/03/hp22b-carolina-reaper-or-carolina.html

I think the hobbyists are a vital part of all of this, not a barrier to the "real" growers. To paint the hobbyists as detrimental to the whole process is disingenuous in the extreme.

I have a few Euphorbia resinifera and poisonii, so I think I`ll try to cross them with a Fatalii, for flavour ....... :rofl:

Does anyone else think the God element of this is slightly irrelavent? It seems the issues leveled against Currie and the Reaper were related to its claimed status as the worlds hottest pepper, the legal wranglings around it and stability.  The faith of those involved seems a red herring.  Also Jim Duffy is selling the Reaper so anything he says should be viewed in that context.

That said whoever wrote the article nailed the key issues as well as speaking to relavent people.

Jim Duffy is quoted in the article saying essentially that a lot of backyard growers are selling seeds they claim are the worlds hottest for $30 a packet.  Can anyone think of an example of this?  The only seeds I can recall going for $30 are Jims Moruga package and, um, that is it I think.  Actually a lot of what Jim said left a bad taste in my mouth as he seems very dismissive of hobby growers - he might find that attitude comes back to haunt him when he realises he is alienating his customer base.

I believe Ed (and everyone else who claims their pepper is 'the hottest') should submit seeds to the CPI for growing/testing during the same season, under the same growing conditions, or it is all apples and oranges.

Almost every "backyard grower"  I've ever met has been MORE THAN willing to share seeds, for free or at least for trade.  The only place I have ever seen $1 each seeds is Carolina Reaper at Pepper Joes,  although a handful of chlies at Refining Fire Chilies come pretty close.

In the grand scheme of things,  $1 for a seed that can grow into a plant giving you countless pods isn't really a "bad" deal per say,  but I have pulled 30, 40 seeds from a pod before.  The thought of somebody in the industry making nearly 50 bucks off every pod they de-seed is a little bit disconcerting 

illWill said:
Almost every "backyard grower"  I've ever met has been MORE THAN willing to share seeds, for free or at least for trade.  The only place I have ever seen $1 each seeds is Carolina Reaper at Pepper Joes,  although a handful of chlies at Refining Fire Chilies come pretty close.

In the grand scheme of things,  $1 for a seed that can grow into a plant giving you countless pods isn't really a "bad" deal per say,  but I have pulled 30, 40 seeds from a pod before.  The thought of somebody in the industry making nearly 50 bucks off every pod they de-seed is a little bit disconcerting 

suppose though if you have taken the time, effort and cost's to produce your plants then there is nothing wrong with asking for a small charge of a dollar for a seed or 2. These small earnings can go towards your pots and soil for next seasons.

Nigel said:
Reapers are damn hot and taste decent, as well. They aren`t the hottest by any stretch IMHO, but they are a good pepper. I`d like to see a higher %-age with long tails, but we will in time probably. 

Here is the real data on CR testing,

http://bart-j-meijer-chillies.blogspot.com/2013/03/hp22b-carolina-reaper-or-carolina.html

I think the hobbyists are a vital part of all of this, not a barrier to the "real" growers. To paint the hobbyists as detrimental to the whole process is disingenuous in the extreme.

I have a few Euphorbia resinifera and poisonii, so I think I`ll try to cross them with a Fatalii, for flavour ....... :rofl:
Finally some actual data shows up on the elusive TP22b. (sic) Thanks Nigel...

Wow, that article reads like a high school effort. Journalism is indeed dead. 

This has all got me thinking, The carolina reaper has an average SHU of ~1.4 Million, correct? But we call the hottest pepper in the world the hottest because there was a variable in the testing where one pod came out to be ~2.0 Million, but as we all know Morugas have one of the largest ranges of SHU, something along the lines of ~580,000 - 2,000,000, correct?

I think it should all be redone on average heats of peppers, and I know many others do as well. All this trying to claim the hottest pepper out there when we are trying to say it is the hottest because of a singular pod that was above average on heat? Have we made a list of AVERAGE SHU of some of the better known pods out there? 

So why not just take the SHU ratings we already have and list the averages of those results, Red Morugas were 1,207,000, 7 Pot Douglah 1,169,000, Primo 1,476,000, Jay's Bhut Scorpion 900,000, and the Carolina Reaper in at 1,474,000, even the original 7 Pot came in at 1,066,000. 

This just seems like a much more scientific way or doing it. I'd like to see the average SHU of the Brain Strain, and Brown Moruga. They would be higher than all I bet.

Back