• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Atlantic Journal "So God Made The Worlds Hottest Pepper"

I really hate the tone towards hobbyists. Butch T., who is very generous guy, is also an hobbyist. The mentality with us (hobbyists) is to share not profit, lol. It's silly and unscientific to attribute a pepper you crossed to God. 

It's a good idea to measure the average though. However, I think we should look at it in ranges and averages. We could say a pepper has the hottest average or max range. Then we can have more than one record for hottest.

Exactly, people keep buying into these new "hottest pepper" and they may never even get to that level of heat. But if we quantified it by average heat then I can say without a shadow or a doubt that they will get a pepper that is that hot. Here are some averages I have been able to find.

Red Moruga Scorpion - 1,207,000
7 Pot Douglah - 1,169,000
Primo - 1,476,000
Jay's Bhut Scorpion (Red) - 900,000
Carolina Reaper - 1,474,000
Original 7 Pot - 1,066,000. 
Red Trinidad Scorpion – 1,029,271
Bhut Jolokia – 1,019,687
7 Pot Brain Strain – 1,500,000

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Exactly, people keep buying into these new "hottest pepper" and they may never even get to that level of heat. But if we quantified it by average heat then I can say without a shadow or a doubt that they will get a pepper that is that hot. Here are some averages I have been able to find.

Primo - 1,476,000
Bhut Jolokia – 1,019,687

I'm surprised by how hot the 7 pot Primo is testing. I ate one of those whole, and I never planned on eating whole peppers beyond 1.1 million . They seemed about as hot as a 7 pot original to me. Of course with all the variables affecting heat, it's impossible to tell by just eating them. Maybe it's impossible for me to tell the heat at that level. I know both burned the crap out of my ears, lol. I'm also suprised how low the average for Jay's ghost scorpion (red) is. I don't know if those are stable, but the ones I grew this year are ridiculously hot.

Edit: My experience above is reason enough to not worry about what's the hottest in the world, lol. The heat varies so much. I don't think you can tell by averages or ranges.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
They are extremely hot but for some reason do not seem to get as hot as people seem to think in terms of SHU

Jay's? That's interesting about their testing. They scare me, lol.

Haha yeah they are very VERY hot peppers but apparently once they were tested they averaged around 900,000 SHU from what I found. Funning bringing them up, just got done crossing a Jays red with the Reaper, We'll see what we get!

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Haha yeah they are very VERY hot peppers but apparently once they were tested they averaged around 900,000 SHU from what I found. Funning bringing them up, just got done crossing a Jays red with the Reaper, We'll see what we get!

That's should be a cool cross.

LawrenceJ2007 said:

Primo - 1,476,000
Bhut Jolokia – 1,019,687
What was the 7 pot brown (not Douglah)? 

I haven't been able to find it. Most people have said the douglah and brown are the same but we know different. So that information I do not know.

This is trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, and, if posters on chile fora did not continue to post about it, it would go away.

It is a dull, overused subject leading nowhere scientifically.....it's just opinion.

I'm a bit lost here.  Who exactly tested the Reaper?  Has the CPI ever tested the Reaper?  I read how some here advocate that perhaps an average heat level should determine the title of "Hottest."  If that's the case, wouldn't it make sense to have a standard of where such testing is conducted, like CPI or others?  

I'm more of an outsider in this debate about the Reaper.  But based on what I just read in the article, Currie comes across as a bit of an asshole.  There's just too much he's withholding from everyone, and he comes across as very overprotective.

I sell superhot plant starts locally to retailers.  At this point, I have chosen to stay away from the Carolina Reaper for a number of reasons, even though I know people are going to be asking my customers if they carry the Reaper.  First, there's way too much controversy about the Reaper.  Second, it is FAR from stable, according to my seed sources.  The last thing I want is to sell a plant to a retailer, who sells it to a customer, only to have that customer come back to the retailer pissed off that he/she didn't get what they paid for!  Third, I am against the patenting of seeds (or living organisms in general).  The patenting of "Life" is very immoral to me!

It's not unusual for growers of any number of plants to... patent/copywrite/whatever...their plant.  Red Savina Habanero seeds are patented and only licensed growers can sell Red Savina seeds.  And given the plethora of rip-off seed sellers on eBay and elsewhere, I don't blame Currie for wanting to maintain control over who grows and sell the Reaper seeds.  And they also keep track of who the growers sell the pods to.   

Many labs do HPLC tests on chiles and sauces.  It's not specific to CPI.  Anyone can send a pod and have it tested. 

Currie did due diligence in the testing, monitoring of the plants during growth and keeping track of everything from start to finish.  Guinness upped the standards recently as to how a new hot pepper is to be rated and verified.  As far as I know, Currie grew out the plants for something like 8 generations.  There's lots of other articles and posts about that. 

The reaper seeds are not patented. Neither is the name. The only thing protected is "Ed's Smokin' Carolina Reaper." Only the Red Savina name was protected. You could sell them under another name.

Back