• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Attempt to separate these 3 orange habs?

A gentle stream of water helps to separate the filaments. Of course, you'll end up with a naked rootball, but they will be easy to separate.

I'm with the Duftser on this one, leave them just repot in a larger container and loosen gently apart in the new container then apply fresh soil in the separation. Here are two Fresno sharing the same pot and I have no intention of separating them - my fresno's grew so fast with no attention I am almost considering them the weed of the pepper world, I bet I couldn't kill them if I tried. I separated another pot and gave them away and the owner says they are doing just wonderful and full of flowers. Of course, you can't compare a Fresno to a Habanero - I worship my habs because they are so hard to grow for me.

HPIM1786.jpg

Im with Bence on this one I have done this several times mostly with seedlings just use a light mixture of soil to get the roots in nicely and water the heck out of it once in place it may take a day or three but they 'll bounce back. its ok if some roots break off too

You know I got to thinking about this after I responded -- Why separate at all? if you keep them in a pot why bother, I mean you control the growing conditions so there will not be a struggle for nutes just need good sun and a larger pot IMO --

let the soil get little dry.
dump it all out
now with no dirt the roots should be easier to separate.
Then re-pot them all and give them a good drink too.

Oh an do this in the shade or outta the sunlight.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll probably take bigt's advice. I'll definitely let y'all know how this turns out!

@chillilover, Walmart sells orange hab plants up here in Canada? I didn't notice any habanero's except for "Caribbean reds" and "Scotch Bonnets" anywhere in the GTA last spring - Are you in Ontario?

I would defiantly separate, This method works amazingly well for plants extremely rooted together:

Bence said:
A gentle stream of water helps to separate the filaments. Of course, you'll end up with a naked rootball, but they will be easy to separate.

POTAWIE said:
+2, but personally in the future I wouldn't recommend starting more than one plant per cell or pot, and growing more than one plant per pot never seems to produce nearly as well as having just a single plant

It isn't the best method, but I do it often when I expect low germ rates, or question how the stragglers will fair. I'd rather have to separate than have a bunch of empty cells/pots.

openfire said:
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll probably take bigt's advice. I'll definitely let y'all know how this turns out!

@chillilover, Walmart sells orange hab plants up here in Canada? I didn't notice any habanero's except for "Caribbean reds" and "Scotch Bonnets" anywhere in the GTA last spring - Are you in Ontario?

Yes, i'm in St.Catharines though. I didn't see any Caribbean reds or scotch bonnets at my walmart, I wish they did. I would rather have the caribbeans reds anyday.

Just an idea..... Go get root stimulator (cloning gel, powder, or if you have an ez cloner liquid root stimulator) cut the 2 weaker plants put root stimulator on then and place in a peat cube :) Just a thought Here is a little info on making your own ez cloners and how to use them.
I followed this guys set by step instructions on how to make the cloner.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40055

I followed these guys video of how to clone. The aeroponic section is at the end of the video. I used the same products they recommended.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bewellfarmer#p/a/u/1/faOKTFgXIlI

Can someone tell me why seperating these plants is necessary? I know it seems rather taboo to have a multiplant pot but considering the pot is large enough, and we are delivering the necessary ferts, nutes and light to the plants shouldnt they grow and produce the same as though they were solo?

In my opinion the roots will grow into each other and will never grow to full potential no matter what the pot size. Individual plants' roots can grow in all directions and are not competing for good loose soil as well as water, space, nutrients, light etc.

but if the plants are in a larger than normal pot they would potentially have the space. Now if they were planted in a garden wouldn't the roots expand or reach out in individual directions given the space? We are controlling the conditions they are in not like in their primal environment. I'm trying to understand the separation idea because honestly before this post I was, and did, think the same now I am double clutching on it.

Separating is not "necessary", but I understood the question to be; can they be separated? The simple answer is; yes!
All of the answers here simply represent each posters prejudice, not what can or cannot not be done.
So ultimately it's up to the OP as to what it is they want. Everything else is just one opinion against many others. IMO, it isn't a matter of right and wrong; it's just a matter of what one wants. Cheers!

But the multiple roots are confined and have less areas to travel in, they can only grow out or down and they may even strangle each other. In a bigger pot or in the ground the roots may have oxygen issues as well, and the plants will compete for light since they'll shomewhat shade each other

Oh I know AjarnV - Sure they can be separated and possibly lose 1 or all. But what I am asking is, why separate at all ? I'm not kicking the bee's nest I'm just curious. :cool:

So does it essentially come down to competing for light ? Wouldn't the plants grow taller, bushier or broader leaves to compensate, I think roots would be fine, given tilled soil in a garden or large pot , maybe some possible choking but new roots would take over no?

I just see it like planting too closely in the garden where everthing competes and plants aren't able to reach their full potential. Everybody had their growing method but I really see a difference when my plants are well spaced in the garden or in their own individual pot

Back