• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Attempt to separate these 3 orange habs?

I know what you mean Potawie it doesnt seem natural -- Thanks for your opinions though and sorry for hijacking the post it was a question that I thought of after posting --

Potawie is on the money. Would you rather have 3 small crappy plants making small pods while battling each other for light and nutes or 1 large healthy plant efficiently churning out hordes of huge healthy pods. The choice is yours - Mass mediocrity or singular excellence.

But of course, you can have 3 healthy plants too...

Shake the soil off, pull the roots gently apart; try to find the plant/roots which has the least resistance, the one which allows you to pull the fine filaments away. Try to untangle the roots very gently. If this is still not successful, rinse the soil completely, and you'll be able to pull the roots apart very easily. Don't worry about the eventually tearing filaments; as they break, they'll stimulate more vegetative growth.

Two days ago I separated over 50 similar plants which were overwintered, but still small (late plants; they couldn't grow because the lack of light/soil). Most of them are 15-20 cm tall despite of their age, and they are doing fine. They got their new big pots and they immediately started to develop fresh tiny leaves. I foliar feed them with a bionutes after transplanting.

Bence said:
But of course, you can have 3 healthy plants too...

Shake the soil off, pull the roots gently apart; try to find the plant/roots which has the least resistance, the one which allows you to pull the fine filaments away. Try to untangle the roots very gently. If this is still not successful, rinse the soil completely, and you'll be able to pull the roots apart very easily. Don't worry about the eventually tearing filaments; as they break, they'll stimulate more vegetative growth.

Two days ago I separated over 50 similar plants which were overwintered, but still small (late plants; they couldn't grow because the lack of light/soil). Most of them are 15-20 cm tall despite of their age, and they are doing fine. They got their new big pots and they immediately started to develop fresh tiny leaves. I foliar feed them with a bionutes after transplanting.

+1 What I've been saying all along. One can't be clumsy when separating, but if one has a feel for the things one is growing then all things are possible.
One can only learn by doing and by doing (practice makes perfect) one does in fact learn. Speaking only for myself; I generally know what I want and if that is beyond my present ability then I learn how to bring that to my ability. I don't mean to sound preachy (sorry if I come across like that) but there seems to be a lot of timidity on the forum to try new things; especially if it may mean losing a plant. I think in the long run chancing the loss of a plant may advance a skill set that will in fact result in the saving of plants in the future.
Uh oh, okay I'm stepping down from the soap box, just saying. Cheers! :oops:

bigt said:
Potawie is on the money. Would you rather have 3 small crappy plants making small pods while battling each other for light and nutes or 1 large healthy plant efficiently churning out hordes of huge healthy pods. The choice is yours - Mass mediocrity or singular excellence.

I dont see how they would be battling for nutes when you are feeding them directly ?? and as for light if man-made light is in use they should be pretty well surrounded and if out side in a garden Im sure they would do ok -- I'm not totally convinced that the pod size and production would be effected if anything the pollination of the nodes would increase the chances of better production. Since no one has tried because its a gardening taboo we wont know for sure. Even myself, I have separated my seedlings early on.

^ You bring up some good points and I'm intentionally growing some doubles and triples to see the actual results.

^^ This thread brought it up honestly when I first posted I agreed wetting the roots and separating then I thought more of it. I know your conditions are a little rough and I want you to have a successful year so choose carefully. Would you be trying in your Hydro set up or soil ?

^ LuckyDog,
Soil for sure. My hydro set up wouldn't support three or even two plants per station. I've got the time and space to mess around a bit. Also, the climate here will give me 12 months of growing. Actually this is our summer and it's been 37c to 39c for 63 straight days now; so this is the worst time of year for Capsicum (and humans). They are dealing with it but not liking it much; growth has slowed to a crawl.
And yeah, conditions are a challenge for sure, but that aside, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Every little bit will help me to succeed. Cheers.

I had a couple of Naga Morich plants share a pot last season. The two of them ended up about the same size as the Naga's flying solo. Pod production was about equal too. I'm going to do it again this year with a couple of different species. This season I'll be using a much larger pot, say 10-15 gallon.

So, what's the final disposition of these three orange habs?

Here in Hungary, the old people always say to put 2 "paprikas" in a pot. They are not alone and can talk to each other. But what happens when you select 2 plants who hate each other...? :)

UPDATE:

Sorry about the delay in responding!

I was initially going to separate the 2 smaller habs and repot them, while leaving the largest plant undisturbed... but at the last minute I chickened out and didn't pull the trigger. LOL

Fast forward to today…

I've now decided to put all three into a large container together undisturbed and see what happens…

But I thought I’d conduct a little experiment:

The weekend that just past was the official "last danger of frost has past" weekend up here, so the in-laws finally planted their garden -- and I stole some of their garden space.

All of my other orange hab seedlings were 3/pot, just like the picture in the OP. I simply pulled the 2 smaller plants from each of those pots and planted the best one in the garden, chucking the other 2.

We will see how the 3 “best” habs in the pot compare to the individual habs in the garden.

I will update this thread with pics.

UPDATE!

The results are in!

Before I post the pics, do any of you care to guess which plants did better?

I'll post the pics later tonight, but until then, I would be curious to know what your predictions are. ;)

My prediction is that the pots will initially do better than the one(s) in the garden. At the end of the year the one(s) in the garden will catch up and put out pretty much the same amount of pods and growth as the ones in the pots.

Back