• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Attention Pepper Reviewers!

I love the heat and flavor of nearly evey type of pepper I've tried. I love'em fresh, pureed, in sauces, and in my recipes. There isn't a day that goes by thay I fail to break out the "heat". I've been loading up on spicy foods since I was 10 years old....(that's 1978.....OOF!!)...and I believe myself to be a true chilihead right down to the core.

BUT.....

There is no damn way I'm stuffing a whole, raw 7-pot, douglah, Trinidad scorpion, or bhut jolokia into my mouth. I already know how hot they are. I've seen plenty of videos and the reactions of the people who try. I say......good on you guys! Know why? Cause that means that I don't have to! :lol:

I have several rifles. I know that they're capable of killing.....but I'm sure not gonna turn one on myself just to prove it. I know the candle flame is hot.....I don't have to stick my finger in it to have that understanding. I'm pretty sure of what would happen if I ate an entire brain strain at once.

Just to clarify......I'm NOT saying that people that jam that much heat into their mouths at once are crazy. I'm just saying that I appreciate that you do so that I don't HAVE to.

I love the heat and flavor of nearly evey type of pepper I've tried. I love'em fresh, pureed, in sauces, and in my recipes. There isn't a day that goes by thay I fail to break out the "heat". I've been loading up on spicy foods since I was 10 years old....(that's 1978.....OOF!!)...and I believe myself to be a true chilihead right down to the core.

BUT.....

There is no damn way I'm stuffing a whole, raw 7-pot, douglah, Trinidad scorpion, or bhut jolokia into my mouth. I already know how hot they are. I've seen plenty of videos and the reactions of the people who try. I say......good on you guys! Know why? Cause that means that I don't have to! :lol:

I have several rifles. I know that they're capable of killing.....but I'm sure not gonna turn one on myself just to prove it. I know the candle flame is hot.....I don't have to stick my finger in it to have that understanding. I'm pretty sure of what would happen if I ate an entire brain strain at once.

Just to clarify......I'm NOT saying that people that jam that much heat into their mouths at once are crazy. I'm just saying that I appreciate that you do so that I don't HAVE to.

True but eating superhots can make you able to eat hotter peppers. While testing your rifle on yourself won't help make bullet proof.

True but eating superhots can make you able to eat hotter peppers. While testing your rifle on yourself won't help make bullet proof.

Very true. :rofl: But, I don't think people video themselves eating superhots do it to build up a tolerance. I'd say it has a good bit more to do with proving that they can. ;)

After reading everyone's posts, I'd have to say for myself, for the fresh pods, it's equal parts-
what's the taste
entertainment for others
prove I can do it

For sauces, it's all about finding out the flavor and heat. I've tasted 357 and would not ever taste it again, even for a video. It's horrible. Too bad we didn't have the camera running when we did taste it at a restaurant. That would have been a classic. Anyone know what the "Mr. Yuck" poison stickers look like? That was our faces looked like...

It's a good fun thing to do and the 'Kid and I have enjoyed most aspects of our pepper tastings this last summer. I have a few home-growns stashed, might just have to do an end of season bash.

I've always wondered why people eat whole raw pods as well. Always assumed they were trying to get a legal high or something. I tried a whole Bhut once and had stomach cramps for two days, never again.

I love the heat and flavor, but hate the stomach cramps. I grow all the common superhots, but I use them in moderation, and mostly cook with them.

The video that made me want to grow the Bhut is that one grower in Hawaii, he was in serious pain. And my favorite reviewer so far is snacksandsuch, that kid just amazes me.

Back