contest August Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olympics schmolimpics.

The games ain't what they used to be and I haven't watched them in years.

They've added so many games to the gig that it seems almost anything can qualify as an Olympic event.

I ain't gonna' be watchin' no underwater midget wrasslin'!

My preferences for the next throwdown are either SPAM or Caribbean/Cuban.

i dont get what the point is in having "sandwich of the month" and TD as the same thing

kind of redundant

although i wouldnt mind like a Sammich TD, anything goes for sammiches

wheebz while we did a Cuban sammich for SOTM, it is a mere star in the galaxy of Cuban dishes.

I reckon a Cuban/Caribbean t-down would be awesome.

Its a great reason to break out the trinidad scorpions and scotch bonnets!

my ag/hort teacher in college was big on insects as a renewable food resource. USA is the only country where insects aren't a staple. grubs, crickets - just protein. Just like prawns and lobster & crab - mmmmm, sea insects. :woohoo:

I have actually tried grubs (same teacher cooked 'em for us) and they weren't half bad.

I have actually tried grubs (same teacher cooked 'em for us) and they weren't half bad.
That's nice. For you. Sorry, but in my mind, grubs are no better than maggots - both are insect larvae, one is just larger than the other. Can't make myself go there, since I'm not starving. Ew. Ick. Shudder.

Tho, in retrospect, I have tried escargot. It wasn't repulsive, but neither is it something I will ever intentionally seek out again.

Call it, boss. Times running out!
Call me strange (not), but I like not knowing for sure until it's either almost time or time. Keeps it mysterious and a challenge. Still, I get that it's too hard for some people to get ingredients together with that kind of short notice.

wheebz while we did a Cuban sammich for SOTM, it is a mere star in the galaxy of Cuban dishes.

I reckon a Cuban/Caribbean t-down would be awesome.

Its a great reason to break out the trinidad scorpions and scotch bonnets!

I think it makes sense...about this time of year, we all wish we were parked on a beach in the caribbean, with a plate of jerk chicken, or jerk chicken, or even jerk chicken...nursing an island-themed beverage...I mean shit man...what else do we need to do to make this happen?

Furthermore...those of us growing a lot of caribbean varieties can showcase...and even non-growers can still go to the store, get habaneros, and create a pretty authentic meal.

So...as the unofficial shot-caller for this TD...I say caribbean...with 3 requirements:

1. A caribbean style protein and sides if desired.
2. At least one fresh chile native to that area...this covers store bought habaneros as well. (although I'm reasonably certain that comment just started a chile-origin-shit-storm debate)
3. Some sort of adult beverage with an island theme.

THERE...I HAVE SPOKEN.

...and it don't mean shit, mon...

:BOLD:

I think anything that lives in a shell is best covered in butter and garlic when eaten. Makes sense that escargot would be like shellfish.

I eat them bitches any chance I get. Love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back