• Do you need help identifying a ๐ŸŒถ?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? ๐Ÿคง
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Australian term for pepper

I was at my local salad bar for lunch, and some obviously (strong accents) Australian tourists were ordering the salad ingredients. One little girl wanted the chopped (not hot) peppers and used a term to describe them that I had never heard before. It was some variant of the word capsicum. It sounded to me like capsinoids, or capsoids. The guy behind the counter had no idea what she was talking about, until she used the term "peppers." Do the Australian folks here know what I am referring to. Is there an Australian official, or slang word to describe peppers, that is related to the word capsicum?

Theyโ€™re usually red or green, sometimes yellow, and common on pizza. The British and Americans call them peppers, but Australians call it capsicum.

He knows what capsicums are, they are capsicums here too, he is saying it sounded like capsicum.

1 SEC LET ME CLEAR THIS UP

http://outerhoard.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/food-and-drink-in-australian-english/

Australia uses the botanical name capsicum for what the Americans would call (red or green) bell peppers and the British (red or green) peppers.

This is now cleared up. I knew what the girl wanted as I am familiar with the terms, but have never heard it interchangeable with pepper.

Yeah, pepper to them is reserved for peppercorns only. Capsicums are capsicums.

So this site, The Hot Pepper, to them should be about black pepper :lol:

Yes only the sweet/bell capsicums get called that, the rest are just chillis. I have only ever called them peppers after joining this site!

Oh yeah chilli, not chili, or chile. Down Under all messed up!

Pepper is pepper! Capsicums are Capsicums, and chilies are hot!
To confuse matters though, there is one exception. We call small capsicums bell peppers for the most part.

Also, if you said red/green/yellow peppers, none of us would find that unusual. (EDIT: referring to capsicum that is)

No Aussie and NZ are all the right way up ... its everyone else that gets confused ;) :lol:

Bwahaha :D

Pepper is pepper! Capsicums are capsicums, and chilies are hot!
To confuse matters though, there is one exception. Most of call bell peppers exactly that... bell peppers.

Also, if you said red/green/yellow peppers, 99.999% of us would not find that unusual. (EDIT: referring to capsicum that is)

Bwahaha :D
Oh hell you didn't use two LLs in chillie now you're really confusing us!

Drop the extra e boss! Its chilli not chille ya goose!
Oh and while ya at it change it from thp thc!

Ok but Rachael still used one L!

Booooooooooooooooooo. If we drive on the right side, it means you drive on the wrong side!! Take that!

Back