• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Australian term for pepper

I've been to Australia and can confirm that everything is indeed upside down. Bears hang out in trees, large turkeys run at 40mph instead of just flying and people dangle corks from their hats so they can't see the snakes and spiders.
It's like Darwin met Newton and they both got high on crack. :mouthonfire:

I've been to Australia and can confirm that everything is indeed upside down. Bears hang out in trees, large turkeys run at 40mph instead of just flying and people dangle corks from their hats so they can't see the snakes and spiders.

Sounds like someone fell for the drop-bear trick!
Wanna play knify spoony?

The error was created by Christopher Columbus (Circa 1492) who first sampled Chillis thinking they were directly related to black pepper, hence the name peppers. It just stuck evenm after the mistake was known. The rest of the world refer to them as chilli, chile, chili or thier own lingual reference to chilli sich as Prik in Thailand.

What was interesting though growing up in Australia, was that i did not think that capsicum and chilli was even related until i found out what Americans called them both. Then i made the connection.

Now that is some funny shit right thar!

Booooooooooooooooooo. If we drive on the right side, it means you drive on the wrong side!! Take that!
When tired driving in USA I ocasionally would start to drive on the left (correct) side of the road.
I was amazed at the skill of Yank drivers in avoiding me and the fact that I didn't get shot at.
Here (Oz) the most minor driving misdemeanour is a capital offence usually punishable by death.

Chili is a meal you lot cook, chilli is a plant you grow for the pods, chile is a country.

I came here thinking you sold grinders of black pepper with chilli flakes in them. :rofl:

No no no, chili is a meal we cook with chiles, chile is the fruit/plant of the genus Capscicum, and Chile is a country.

Guys, the bloody Aussies don't even THINK the same.
Chilli = Fruit baring heat and/or a dish you cook. Depends on context. Australians don't have this in their language :D
Chile = Country with an acute.
Cappy/capsicum = Bell pepper.

"Gawd strewth Sheila, yee put beans in it !"
"yeah Bruce, thems good for you"
"Cor blimey mate, oi ain't eatin non of those pommy beans in me wanga"

I guess it is a lot more simple here then.
The word for pepper is "Pilpel". black pepper is "Pilpel Shahor" (shahor = black). bell peppers or capsicums are just "Pilpel" and hot peppers or chiles are "Pilpel Harif" (harif = spicy). some call bell peppers "Gamba" to distinguish them from hot peppers, but people will understand if you just use the word "Pilpel".

No no no, chili is a meal we cook with chiles, chile is the fruit/plant of the genus Capscicum, and Chile is a country.
See? You've confused the transplants:
Wait a minute, I thought chilli was the stuff we cooked?

Much easier to keep the spellings different. Chili, Chilli, Chile, and bell peppers/capsicums(I don't give a toss what you call those big non spicy things).
But once you start say chile little 'c' and Chile capital 'c', you've just confused everyone. A huge percentage of all internet posts are from people that don't bother with any CAPS, and there's many (they seem to be all from the USA) that are all CAPS. The poor people of Chile must be mental wrecks when they read about slugs and caterpillars devouring their country, or someone is going to toss them out.

So if you spell chile and Chile the same, everyone is going to be all confused.
If you lot up you game in that regard and spell them different, the rest of the world will maybe come to the bargaining table and make the amercian only 'chili' it's own special word to involve the spiced meat dish that features chillies and which may, or may not contain beans. Hell, too many Americans call chilli, chili, if they call chillies chiles, what do they call chili? One some guy has one chile does everyone thing he owns a country or has a pot of spicy meat to share? The poor guy might only have on chilli pod :(
Do they not differentiate between a spicy meat dish and a plant? The mind boggles, and that's why each should have a different spelling, plant/pod food and country. So chilli, chili and Chile!

[embed stirring music for podium speech]
[applause]
[cut to weeping audience]
:rofl:

Back