• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Australian term for pepper

Now I'm confused. When you say "A huge percentage of all internet posts are from people that don't bother with any CAPS" is that an abbreviation for CAPSICUM or CAPSAICIN? So if these people don't bother with caps perhaps they don't eat chile, chilli or chile, at which point it becomes moot, like the tree falling in the forest when no one is around.

So in the winter when I am chilly can I go to Chile and pick clean a chilli plant to make some good chili w/ beans???
[strike] darn tootin' right[/strike]
almost had me, I'll not weigh into the chili with beans debate
[strike]vege goes into EVERYTHING I cook though [/strike]
Now I'm confused. When you say "A huge percentage of all internet posts are from people that don't bother with any CAPS" is that an abbreviation for CAPSICUM or CAPSAICIN? So if these people don't bother with caps perhaps they don't eat chile, chilli or chile, at which point it becomes moot, like the tree falling in the forest when no one is around.
Doesn't matter which, as long as they don't call them pepper!

I think by CAPS they meant capital letters during the post about chile and Chile

See? You've confused the transplants:

Much easier to keep the spellings different. Chili, Chilli, Chile, and bell peppers/capsicums(I don't give a toss what you call those big non spicy things).
But once you start say chile little 'c' and Chile capital 'c', you've just confused everyone. A huge percentage of all internet posts are from people that don't bother with any CAPS, and there's many (they seem to be all from the USA) that are all CAPS. The poor people of Chile must be mental wrecks when they read about slugs and caterpillars devouring their country, or someone is going to toss them out.

So if you spell chile and Chile the same, everyone is going to be all confused.
If you lot up you game in that regard and spell them different, the rest of the world will maybe come to the bargaining table and make the amercian only 'chili' it's own special word to involve the spiced meat dish that features chillies and which may, or may not contain beans. Hell, too many Americans call chilli, chili, if they call chillies chiles, what do they call chili? One some guy has one chile does everyone thing he owns a country or has a pot of spicy meat to share? The poor guy might only have on chilli pod :(
Do they not differentiate between a spicy meat dish and a plant? The mind boggles, and that's why each should have a different spelling, plant/pod food and country. So chilli, chili and Chile!

[embed stirring music for podium speech]

[applause]

[cut to weeping audience]
:rofl:

Meh, Spanish speakers don't seem to have any trouble differentiating between the two, I don't know why English speakers would. If they can't tell what is being discussed based on context clues then they must be a little slow. :P I would rather keep the correct Spanish spelling. We don't go bastardizing taco into tacko or tauko, cilantro into silantro, etc. so why do it with chile? Maybe I'll start calling avocados aguacates to really confuse people, since that's the correct word. Avocado is a bastardized form of the Spanish word for abogado (lawyer) because our mentally handicapped ancestors couldn't pronounce aguacate for some reason. :D

You're too serious Mr Avon Barksdale, that is going to get you into trouble with the authorities again sooner or later.

Cilantro? Bah, it's CORIANDER!

I know lol....I was just trying to get a rise out of Pablo :onfire:
Not going to happen.

Coriander is when Cilantro goes to seed. When it is green and leafy it is Cilantro. This is a fun thread.

Edit: it is confusing my sleepy half-drunky head.

Coriander is when Cilantro goes to seed. When it is green and leafy it is Cilantro.
Only in America.
A few wiki quotes for you:
"The earliest attested form of the word is the Mycenaean Greek ko-ri-ja-da-na"
"Coriander seems to have been cultivated in Greece since at least the second millennium BC. "
What's the spanish term got to do with it, and why half arse it for calling the seeds coriander seeds, and the leaf cilantro?

Enough about herbs anyway. Sorry, I mean 'erbs, what 'ope do I have when you can't get coriander right? At least you don't call chillies " 'eppers", or call the plant one thing and then the pods another!

What's next?
Gas/Petrol?

Enough about herbs anyway. Sorry, I mean 'erbs, what 'ope do I have when you can't get coriander right? At least you don't call chillies " 'eppers", or call the plant one thing and then the pods another!

Just another example of linguistic conservatism in The US. :D

The American pronunciation is the older and more traditional one. The word came into English from the Old French word "erbe". The modern French word is "herbe", with a silent "h". The word was spelled "erb" and pronounced that way in English until some limeys decided to add the h and start pronouncing it differently hundred years ago for who knows what reason (trying to be more French with the spelling?). The Latin word from which the French came is "herba", which also had a silent h.

In the US a "herb" with the h pronounced is slang for a dork or geek. :D

Cilantro - The seeds and leaves (entire plant) in Latin American countries but they mainly only use the leaves.
Coriander - The seeds and leaves (entire plant) in Asian countries but they mainly only use the seeds.

The fact that supermarkets label the leaves as cilantro and the seeds as coriander is because that is the language used in the above areas for the entire plant but they cook with different parts, so recipes will call for this by name.

Back