• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Authentic Ukrainian Perogies

Every year we get together at my Parents house and set up an assembly line for the creation of one stinkload of Perogies.

Perogies are, as Wikipedia puts it: 

Pierogi (Polish pronunciation: [pjɛˈrɔɡʲi]; also spelled perogipierogyperogypierógipyrohypirogipyrogie, or pyrogy; juvenile diminutive form: Pierożki Polish pronunciation: [pjɛˈrɔʂki] also in use) are dumplings ofunleavened dough – first boiled, then they are baked or fried usually in butter with onions – traditionally stuffed with potato fillingsauerkrautground meat, cheese, or fruit. Of central and eastern European provenance, they are usually semicircular, but are rectangular or triangular in some cuisines.

So without further ado, here's a look at what goes into making some 1,200 odd Perogies in a day.

First off, creation of the dough and fillings.  The dough (Once mixed) is best left to sit overnight.  I'm not sure of the details why, but we've always done it that way and heck...they just taste better.

THen, of course, there's the Cheese, Potatoes, Bacon and Onion...all to be chopped, fried and diced into the Mashed potato mixture

IMAG2176_zps652f8224.jpg

ZOE_0039_zpseb7f7bd5.jpg

IMAG2178_zpsb5f7dd90.jpg

ZOE_0040_zpscf782cdc.jpg

ZOE_0045_zps6a0a0c70.jpg

and the resulting 10lbs + of filling

ZOE_0051_zps1cca5bd6.jpg

All of this is done the night before the big day, as it gives the ingredients a chance to settle in with each other and create a smoother, more "blended" flavour.

The next day is when all the family members come over and pitch in.

First off, there's the dough-cutting station where large lumps of cool dough are rolled out, cut into circles and placed on floured trays (so they don't stick)

ZOE_0055_zps06f5c31d.jpg

THEN, there's the filling station, where the big vats of filling get scooped out into cookie-dough drop sizes and placed on trays before being sent to the assembly table.

ZOE_0056_zps2844a37d.jpg

This is the assembly table.  The first few perogies created are always rather deformed, but as everyone gets some practice in and continues to improve they begin to not only get smaller but more tightly packed as well.

ZOE_0057_zpsaddaef40.jpg

ZOE_0060_zpseb1d9127.jpg

...more pictures and steps to follow...

Uh oh, Having trouble with the posts being merged and there being too many images.  Any way around this?

Once there's a fair amount of perogies pinched, they get sent to the boiling station...usually done by the matriarch of our family (Granny/Baba).  She's got that age-old touch, or rather simply knows to pull the finished perogies out of the big pot of boiling water once they float to the top.

IMAG2189_zpsef583578.jpg

Once they've finished boiling/cooking, they get sent over to the ice baths for shocking/rapid cooling

ZOE_0062_zps1e95e4df.jpg

The only way to know if a Perogy is properly cooled is to hold it in the palm of your hand and squeeze it lightly...you'll know.

IMAG21901_zpsa2d54c8d.jpg

From here, the cooled perogies are tossed lightly with oil and put outside to freeze (-30 temperatures at the time help get these perogies frozen quickly.

ZOE_0071_zps328f053d.jpg

ZOE_0063_zps4fb0769c.jpg

Once firm, they go into plastic freezer bags...a dozen at a time...and left out to continue hardening.

IMAG2195_zpsbb9e7b88.jpg

And that's that!  You'll now have a HUGE batch of frozen ukrainian delicacies to pop in the frying pan whenever you feel like it.  They go great with homemade smoked Kubasa!

IMAG2816_zps64cb288c.jpg

IMAG2821_zps68faf9f3.jpg

And there are always a few blueberry dessert perogies made by yours truly...

IMAG2198_zps90035a1d.jpg

(This post has flung a beer craving on me.  And sausage and dumpling cravings.)

How about with a few fresh thyme leaves and an ají amarillo salsa?

The family that cooks together . . . what a nice thing to see.  Pass the perogies!

swellcat said:
(This post has flung a beer craving on me.  And sausage and dumpling cravings.)

How about with a few fresh thyme leaves and an ají amarillo salsa?

The family that cooks together . . . what a nice thing to see.  Pass the perogies!

Perogies are such a great blank canvas to pair with so many other things.  The starchy weight of the perogies go great with any protein, be it chicken, beef or pork...but ideally a nice hickory smoked piece of kubasa and a cup of baked beans are what I reach for first when I'm frying these babies up.

Nulle said:
That looks really delish. :drooling:

Would you care to share the recipe?
No prob!  I'll have to get the calculator out though, as we're used to using ratios that are 20x what you'd normally use for a typical application.  ;)

Thats awesome. I remember my Grandmother making these back in the day.    I Gotta start a tradition like this again.

swellcat said:
Sorry guys, forgot about this thread.

The dough is the big one, as the potatoes are really just a mixture of potatoes, cheese bacon and onion to taste.  These are NOT scientific by any means.  The only thing I'd say is that the potatoes need to be cold before making the perogies...so you should probably do them the day before and pop them in the fridge overnight.  This recipe is using about 10lbs of potatoes...and an important note is you SHOULDN'T use new potatoes...as they don't have quite enough body to make a good filling. 

Here's the dough recipe, which is the most important

12 cups of All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Crisco solid shortening (Don't use more than this)
2 TBSP salt 

Work the shortening into the flour/salt with your hands.  Make sure this is done very well

3 eggs beaten with 5 cups of cold water.

Add this liquid to the flour with a fork or wooden spoon (To mix thoroughly).  

Flour and knead well (so it's non-sticky).  Do NOT over knead.

Place on a floured pastry sheet and cut into 4 equal parts.  Knead each bundle for a few minutes.  

Place in container, seperating the bundles and cover.  Let rest about 20 minutes (or overnight in the fridge, like we do...this is up to you...both work, but somehow the overnight rest is nice)

On a floured surface, roll out a bundle and cut into small circles and fill with the cool potato mixture.

Penny said:
LOVE perogies!!!!
me too prolly one of my favorite foods!!

i am from an area where there are still quite a few polish and Ukrainian people living and one of the local bar owners i know also owns a catering company and he serves possibly the best perogies in the Lehigh Valley area, they are made by a local church just one town away by old polish women, i look forward to them every-time i get over that way Good stuff i tell ya!!

samcanadian said:
Once there's a fair amount of perogies pinched, they get sent to the boiling station...usually done by the matriarch of our family (Granny/Baba).  She's got that age-old touch, or rather simply knows to pull the finished perogies out of the big pot of boiling water once they float to the top.

IMAG2189_zpsef583578.jpg

Once they've finished boiling/cooking, they get sent over to the ice baths for shocking/rapid cooling

ZOE_0062_zps1e95e4df.jpg

The only way to know if a Perogy is properly cooled is to hold it in the palm of your hand and squeeze it lightly...you'll know.

IMAG21901_zpsa2d54c8d.jpg

From here, the cooled perogies are tossed lightly with oil and put outside to freeze (-30 temperatures at the time help get these perogies frozen quickly.

ZOE_0071_zps328f053d.jpg

ZOE_0063_zps4fb0769c.jpg

Once firm, they go into plastic freezer bags...a dozen at a time...and left out to continue hardening.

IMAG2195_zpsbb9e7b88.jpg

And that's that!  You'll now have a HUGE batch of frozen ukrainian delicacies to pop in the frying pan whenever you feel like it.  They go great with homemade smoked Kubasa!

IMAG2816_zps64cb288c.jpg

IMAG2821_zps68faf9f3.jpg

And there are always a few blueberry dessert perogies made by yours truly...

IMAG2198_zps90035a1d.jpg
OH MY GOODNESS !! Can I come over for dinner. :)

Just seeing this brings back memories when I was young and the entire family got together to make pasta. Seeing your granny reminds me of mine working over the stove. Keep this in your heart my friend. Very little of this type of family cooking goes on anymore.

There is a Ukrainian Church  in Portland Oregon that makes these every Saturday. I've got to get there, as I do enjoy Perogies so.

Is that cheddar cheese in your filling mix? In Portland, if you want them made with the traditional Farmer's cheese, you have to special order them. I hear that even the children prefer the bastardized version with cheddar cheese, so that is what they mostly make now.

Back