• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH Average Shelf Life of Hot Sauce batch (below 4.0pH)

Hi!

Establishing my business here.  In Oregon, we don't need to do shelf life testing or Nutritial Facts unless we sell over something like 10k bottles a year.  So, I am putting my start up funds in other departments for the time being.

I am curious, how long does a shelf stable hot sauce usually last after bottling?

My hot sauce usually lands between 3.4 and 3.9 pH, I use 5oz woozies, all natural, vegetables, vinegar, salt and agave.

I bottle with the HFH method.

I hve heard anything between 5 months to 6 years.  

I'm starting to get more demand and I am thinking of making 100's of bottles at a time.  If I do that, some of the unsold bottles may sit for up to 6 months. Should I feel odd about this?  I know there are lots of variables, but I'm just trying to get a general idea....I'm starting my Better Process Controls class tomorrow so maybe I'll learn all this info while doing that.

Thanks!

No they won't do this because it can make a product look old faster. Good for beer, not hot sauce. Except small batch/fermented. 

Reactions: Bou
The Hot Pepper said:
No they won't do this because it can make a product look old faster. Good for beer, not hot sauce. Except small batch/fermented. 

Good point and for beer I NEVER buy an IPA without a bottling date!

Back