• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AZ 1000 2016 Pubescens Grow

This year I started very early because most of my plants will be Capsicum Pubescens  First plants are sprouted in August and  September.
This is my list
Rocoto Red 1           
Rocoto Red 2           
Rocoto Yellow           
Rocoto Orange         
Rocoto Amarillo        
Rocoto  Peru Cusco 
Rocoto Peru Bitdumi 
Rocoto Marlene         
Rocoto San Isidro                 
Rocoto Guatemalan Orange
Rocoto Guatemalan Red
Rocoto Guatemalan Yellow      
Rocoto Costarican Red.      
Rocoto Costarican Yellow    
Rocoto Peruvian Red.         
Rocoto de Seda.                
 Rocoto  Santa Natalia.        
 Rocoto  Macara.                  x 2
 Aji Oro.                               
 Aji Largo.                            
 Rocoto Manzano                
 Rocoto Rio Huallaga          
 Rocoto Pineapple               
 Rocoto Ecuadorian Red    
 Rocoto Ecuadorian Sweet 
 Rocoto Rojo Arequipeno  (Thegreenchilemonster)
 Rocoto Rojo Lima Market (Thegreenchilemonster)
Rocoto Riesen Gelb             
Rocoto Giant Red
Rocoto P 360
Rocoto Canario
Brown Rocoto 
Finland Orange
Tropical Orange. x2
Yellow Manzano. FPB
Rocoto Lima Market 2. FPB
PI 387838 Mini Rocoto
PI 585261 Ultra Pube x2
PI 585267 Turbo Pube
PI 585273 Rocoto Montufar
CAP 217 Hyper Pube x2
CAP 357
CAP 468
CAP 907
CAP 1242
CAP 1479
CAP 1481 x2
CAP 1492
CAP 1693
Gondol
Cabe Gendot PaulG
Orange Manzano PaulG
Orange Manzano Hogleg
Orange Rocoto Hogleg x2
Yellow Rocoto Hogleg x2
Red Rocoto Hogleg
Long Yellow Rocoto GIP
Rocoto Yellow Early GIP

Comptine said:
You seem like the right person to ask, do pubes have different preferences for what temps they'll set fruit in? Or light preferences, or something? I've had a bunch of flowers that I've been hand pollinating, but no fruit seems to set. I have other chillies, bacs and fructs that set fruit in the same conditions. So I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong. 
It's the first year when I get pods from Pubescens.
I have grown some last year but without any luck.
I have 10 varieties with pods right now and some varieties started in the same time that not even flowed yet.
I keep them in the same conditions.
What variety do you have?

OCD Chilehead said:
Very nice plants. Love the varieties. I've not grown a pubescen yet. I don't know why. Now that I'm getting into sauce making, I may have to start some seeds.

Thanks for sharing your grow.

Chuck
Thanks for watching!
You should try some varieties .
I think they are very useful for sauces .
If you want some seeds I can help you at the end of season.
Cheers

az1000 said:
It's the first year when I get pods from Pubescens.
I have grown some last year but without any luck.
I have 10 varieties with pods right now and some varieties started in the same time that not even flowed yet.
I keep them in the same conditions.
What variety do you have?

Hmm, I guess this will be an experimental year for me then. 

I'm growing Río Huallaga Rocoto, Locato, Mini Rocoto PI 387838, Peru Bitdumi Rocoto and Aji Oro. All from pepperlover. I chose them because they're all meant to be early producers and not fussy about climate. The Aji Oro is the one flowering, I sowed the seeds last summer and it has over wintered, it's the first time it's flowering now. 

Comptine said:

Hmm, I guess this will be an experimental year for me then. 

I'm growing Río Huallaga Rocoto, Locato, Mini Rocoto PI 387838, Peru Bitdumi Rocoto and Aji Oro. All from pepperlover. I chose them because they're all meant to be early producers and not fussy about climate. The Aji Oro is the one flowering, I sowed the seeds last summer and it has over wintered, it's the first time it's flowering now. 
I have :
Rio Huallaga not flowered yet
Peru Bitdumi flowed yesterday
Aji Oro not flowed yet but shel lost a lot of buds
Mini Rocoto sowed later is too small
I have varieties with pods sowed in the same time with these.

Wow, I'm amazed you're growing nearly all of the ones I am. Most of my other ones are still small, they were sown end of January. The Aji Oro I sowed last year in June, so I thought it should be about time. It's lot a few tiny buds, and it has lost a few flowers that I pollinated for sure. We've had a bit of a cooler spell when a few new flowers opened, I'm hoping they take. If they do it might have been the heat that killed the first few. I'm giving it plenty (not too much though) nutes, so I really don't know what to put it down to otherwise. 

Now I'm even more excited about following your glog and comparing results! 

Comptine said:
Wow, I'm amazed you're growing nearly all of the ones I am. Most of my other ones are still small, they were sown end of January. The Aji Oro I sowed last year in June, so I thought it should be about time. It's lot a few tiny buds, and it has lost a few flowers that I pollinated for sure. We've had a bit of a cooler spell when a few new flowers opened, I'm hoping they take. If they do it might have been the heat that killed the first few. I'm giving it plenty (not too much though) nutes, so I really don't know what to put it down to otherwise. 

Now I'm even more excited about following your glog and comparing results! 
I had the same problem with Rocoto Santa Natalia , he lost a lot of flowers and unopened buds until set pods .
My larges plants are sowed in August , I think age is important in setting pods .
My Aji Oro  is about to flower , will see if he set some pods .

I just love the pubes!

I feel they're the most beautiful of all the pepper plants. The purple flowers and the fuzzy leaves are reason alone to grow them. And the fruits are great too!

I struggle with them here due to the heat here in Tejas. But that doesn't stop me from trying ;)

I'm wishing you continued success with your grow, the plants look very happy!

Devv said:
I just love the pubes!

I feel they're the most beautiful of all the pepper plants. The purple flowers and the fuzzy leaves are reason alone to grow them. And the fruits are great too!

I struggle with them here due to the heat here in Tejas. But that doesn't stop me from trying ;)

I'm wishing you continued success with your grow, the plants look very happy!
Thanks for passing by!
Pubescens are my favorites!
Keep trying,maybe you could get a variety that works in your area.
Maybe Cabe Gendot from Indonesia will be good for you .
Cheers

Back