• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Bacterial spots or other bacterial/fungal disease?

I have some brown spots on one of my plants and I *know* it's not going to be good...

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

As well as that, my blossoms have been dropping like flies!

What's the best way to treat these kinds of problems or would I be better off just getting rid of the plant? It has been causing me all kinds of grief from the start! Aphids, fungus gnats, you name it. Talk about a bad first time growing experience!! (But I'd like to see it stop me hahaha). I have two other plants which have been sitting next to this one but so far don't have the same symptoms... I'm guessing I should move them away post haste, but should I treat them also?

I have a dozen little sprouts inside... if I have to sacrifice this one to save them in the future, I will (no matter how much it hurts)

i too have that problem on my sweet bell pepper plant. i think mine was worst but i think should not worry so much because my plants had that when it was about 4-5 inch tall and now they are more than one feet tall & fruiting. the newer leaves did not have that problem anymore.

it could be fertilizer burns , aphids etc.

well take it this way, you are getting a crash course experience with all this problems.

Looks like BLS to me. If it's just one plant get it out of there ASAP. Sterilize your tools and keep the other plants leaves nice and dry.

You might want to use some preventative measures on your other plants. Garden products with Sulfur, Copper, or Streptomycin may be required.

How do you think you got it? It can travel by seed.

srin2 said:
it could be fertilizer burns , aphids etc.

That was my initial thought... but after seeing some photos and reading about bacterial spots etc, I'm not quite sure...

The tricky part is knowing what is what... some conditions look far too similar!

srin2 said:
well take it this way, you are getting a crash course experience with all this problems.

Haha I keep telling myself that.

The way things are going, I may end up a huge expert in pest/disease control before I even see a single pod!!

Pepperfreak said:
I think it could also be a magnesium deficiency (maybe).

Was another thought. However, I have been misting with and watering into the soil with epsom salts weekly.

ZanderSpice said:
Looks like BLS to me. If it's just one plant get it out of there ASAP. Sterilize your tools and keep the other plants leaves nice and dry.

*sigh* Not what I wanted to hear... but what I was expecting.

"Get it out" as in dispose of it?

ZanderSpice said:
You might want to use some preventative measures on your other plants. Garden products with Sulfur, Copper, or Streptomycin may be required.

I'll do some research of my own, but in the meantime, are these kinds of products toxic? I'm trying to avoid anything that is toxic at all.

ZanderSpice said:
How do you think you got it? It can travel by seed.

Nursery-bought plant. *New rule:* Never will I buy another plant from a nursery... I have had nothing but problems! By the looks of it, all three nursery plants have bought along something else with them... Aphids from one, fungus gnats from another, and now it looks like bacteria from the third. The thing is though, I did take the time to check the plants all over from head to toe, and at the time, they looked very healthy. Maybe I am just in a very bad area for pests and diseases.......

Yes, dispose of it before it infects your other plants. I had two Guam Boonie plants that had leaf spots this summer. They were still growing and I really wanted to try the variety so I kept them in the garden. If I knew what I know now I would have thrown them away at the first sign of trouble.

I may not have fully learned my lesson because I'm trying to overwinter a few plants that didn't have a big problem, but I will never again let a plant with leaf spots grow next to healthy ones.

The products I listed are in order of strength. I've not yet tried Streptomycin (agricultural anti-biotic) but I'm planning on giving my seedlings a single treatment at plant out.

I don't know if you have "Safer" brand products down by you, they make Sulfur products like 3 in 1 that work for pests, bacteria, and fungi. The products are usually considered organic. It should be safe especially if you spray the leaves, not the peppers.

ZanderSpice said:
Yes, dispose of it before it infects your other plants.

So if my other plants are infected, how long do you think it will take to become noticeable? At the moment there are no signs of the same crap whatsoever. The plant with the infection has had the spots for a few weeks now - only I simply thought it was just aphid damage or burns.

ZanderSpice said:
The products I listed are in order of strength. I've not yet tried Streptomycin (agricultural anti-biotic) but I'm planning on giving my seedlings a single treatment at plant out.

Hmmm, will have to seriously do some research on these products I think. Even if my other two plants are not showing any signs of infection, I don't want to take any chances...!

ZanderSpice said:
It should be safe especially if you spray the leaves, not the peppers.

No worries there, at the rate the blossoms are dropping, I don't think I'll ever see a pepper from this guy. But yeah, I'll probably end up getting rid of it anyway. As for the other two, they are still youngins and don't have any fruit!

try isolating the plants from others and wait and see if it get worst or not. that is if u got the space to put them isolated.

i read somewhere that you have to treat the seeds for all this problems before using them but if u get them from a good source , its usually done already.

good luck.

srin2 said:
try isolating the plants from others and wait and see if it get worst or not. that is if u got the space to put them isolated.

i read somewhere that you have to treat the seeds for all this problems before using them but if u get them from a good source , its usually done already.

good luck.

Thanks srin... the way things are going, I think I need an endless supply of luck hahaha

Yeah, I'm kind of up and down on the whole keep-it-and-isolate-it or trash-it-now issue. In a way, I do want to keep it to see what happens (a good learning experience) but in another way, I just want it gone so as to not risk infecting other plants (plus I don't have much space here). Haven't made my decision yet...

It may sound crazy, but if I had the space, I'd probably try and infect all three and isolate them so I could try different treatments on them and see the results.

gasificada said:
Thanks srin... the way things are going, I think I need an endless supply of luck hahaha

Yeah, I'm kind of up and down on the whole keep-it-and-isolate-it or trash-it-now issue. In a way, I do want to keep it to see what happens (a good learning experience) but in another way, I just want it gone so as to not risk infecting other plants (plus I don't have much space here). Haven't made my decision yet...

It may sound crazy, but if I had the space, I'd probably try and infect all three and isolate them so I could try different treatments on them and see the results.

just curious ... is all the leaves have this problem ???

like i said before i had almost the same type before. it effected only some of the plants and its fruiting now. i have other pepper plants beside it and they were not effected. these are not potted plants , all planted in the ground.

this is one of the plant.
p1010256s.jpg

srin2 said:
just curious ... is all the leaves have this problem ???

like i said before i had almost the same type before. it effected only some of the plants and its fruiting now. i have other pepper plants beside it and they were not effected. these are not potted plants , all planted in the ground.

this is one of the plant.
p1010256s.jpg

I thought it was only on a few of the leaves, but on inspection just now, it looks like it is on most of the leaves. It may only be a spot here and there (and on the side of one of the leaves) but it does look to be spreading and gaining momentum.

It also looks like buds are now dying and/or dropping - as opposed to just blossoms.

Damn... and I was really looking forward to home-grown habs too! :(

gasificada said:
I thought it was only on a few of the leaves, but on inspection just now, it looks like it is on most of the leaves. It may only be a spot here and there (and on the side of one of the leaves) but it does look to be spreading and gaining momentum.

It also looks like buds are now dying and/or dropping - as opposed to just blossoms.

Damn... and I was really looking forward to home-grown habs too! :(

when my plant had them , they too was just dropping the flowers and not one fruit set at that time. after they grow out of it them the fruits were setting. :) if u can possibly try isolating them then wait and see.. i am also new to planting pepper plants and lots of problems with trying to treat the plants but end up sometimes killing them in the process of healing them .. hehehe

Back