• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bahamian Goat My Take

I decided to try my small BG today it was black on the inside around the seeds but  I cut a piece off that was good.
The flavor to me was green bell/orange habaneroish but more pleasant .
The heat was up front & aggessive but did not last as long as a orange habanero & became a pleasant burn.
That  little pod had a lot of oil for one its size .
I think they would go good in a stry fry or salad.
Anyway its not much but thats what I got form my small sample

I'm gonna have to agree with Joyner here.  I get absolutely no green bell pepper taste from a BG.  To me they are almost a bland fruity,  slightly chinense taste yet delicious. Almost like a MoA Scotch bonnet in flavor but less flavorful if that makes sense.  MoA's have a much stronger flavor.

Jamison said:
I'm gonna have to agree with Joyner here.  I get absolutely no green bell pepper taste from a BG.  To me they are almost a bland fruity,  slightly chinense taste yet delicious. Almost like a MoA Scotch bonnet in flavor but less flavorful if that makes sense.  MoA's have a much stronger flavor.

agreed on that account.  Also, the Goat ti me is much hotter than an Orange Hab.  It has a pretty vicious pins and needles burn for a scotch bonnet type. 

I dont eat the goat peppers raw, and I dont like them as pepper powder.  But... they are brilliant in sauces, I make a Peach Habanero hot sauce using the goats instead of Orange habs and it is phenomenal!   Screw the orange habs, goat for the win!  lol

I'd never tried Bahamian Goat before I ordered powder from Chris. Absolutely love it. That jar went super fast. Loved it so much that I have 6 or 7 plants growing. Can't wait to try em fresh.

I also can't stand the flavor of bell peppers. I really don't like any sweet peppers to be honest. Kinda strange I guess but if a pepper doesn't have heat I just don't like the taste. I grow a few sweets for family but that's it

Stuff with blue cheese and let them soak in olive oil for bit.  I wasn't fond of them raw at first.  There is something about the heat that is different.  Hard to put my finger on it.  But with blue cheese and olive oil, they are wow.

Jamison said:
This Pod was bland but it did have that green bell orange hab taste to it.
I will not Judge them just by this one pod that would be stupid.
I have hope form what y'all have said .
JoynersHotPeppers said:
I think once you have a full not rotten pod your opinion may be changed. I get 0 green bell taste and in fact hate that taste with a passion. They are also good stuffed :)
Thanks I hope so.
I hope the year doesn't have something to do with it and its only that one pod.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I get 0 green bell taste and in fact hate that taste with a passion.
Green bells taste of grass imho! :rofl:

Jamison said:
Agreeing here!
I add also that i've felt heat slow to start, not particularly persistant either, and pure burn, no sting.
Based from just one pod, at the moment i prefer MoA, i have still to make up my mind on that pepper. :P

To all those who say they dislike bell peppers-  :confused:

Are you speaking of green bells primarily? I'm saying to myself- surely you can't also dislike red or yellow bells (most people don't know - assuming those here DO know- that the differing colors have different tastes, and most certainly higher/lower sweetness levels.)

I can fully understand not liking the greens- the grassy/chlorophyll taste! Buy do you also dislike the oranges...and the reds and yellows (especially!!) too?!? They are total juicy, crispy, sugary snacks! And what about roasted? That takes them to a whole other level. I've never had the purple ones yet.

I just have recent experience with this- got my father to try some orange and yellow bells last season (he never tries new things...automatically thinks they will be 'bad', or won't like them). The look on his face when they were not 'green' tasting was awesome! He now eats/loves bell peppers! 

ps: green bells are normal to me...grew up eating them, they were the cheapest, thus most affordable = what we ate! But I also love 'green' tastes- eat handfulls of raw kale, swiss chard, collard's, mustard's, and any other greens with gusto. 

I also just picked and tried my first Bahamian Goat and I love them! It was fruity without being too sweet. I also don't like too much sweet with my heat. I agree that green bells taste like lawn grass, but I still like them...except on pizza. I'm not a huge fan of roasted peppers...I prefer raw. But I can see using BG in a lot of things where you want fruity heat. I would put the heat on mine at a little hotter than an orange Hab. I've never tried an MoA, so I can't compare. But I think BG have a permanent place in my garden.

ajdrew said:
Stuff with blue cheese and let them soak in olive oil for bit.  I wasn't fond of them raw at first.  There is something about the heat that is different.  Hard to put my finger on it.  But with blue cheese and olive oil, they are wow.
not a blue cheese fan but when I grow them I will try it with some feta cheese  :)
Alchymystic said:
To all those who say they dislike bell peppers-  :confused:

Are you speaking of green bells primarily? I'm saying to myself- surely you can't also dislike red or yellow bells (most people don't know - assuming those here DO know- that the differing colors have different tastes, and most certainly higher/lower sweetness levels.)

I can fully understand not liking the greens- the grassy/chlorophyll taste! Buy do you also dislike the oranges...and the reds and yellows (especially!!) too?!? They are total juicy, crispy, sugary snacks! And what about roasted? That takes them to a whole other level. I've never had the purple ones yet.

I just have recent experience with this- got my father to try some orange and yellow bells last season (he never tries new things...automatically thinks they will be 'bad', or won't like them). The look on his face when they were not 'green' tasting was awesome! He now eats/loves bell peppers! 

ps: green bells are normal to me...grew up eating them, they were the cheapest, thus most affordable = what we ate! But I also love 'green' tastes- eat handfulls of raw kale, swiss chard, collard's, mustard's, and any other greens with gusto. 
My yellow bells are outstanding this year and I really like them. I like my mothers green stuffed bell peppers and I also use green bell pepper in my spaghetti sauces and jambalaya. I also put them on my pizza's I make at home.  

Well I tried another Bahamian Goat it was better but still not my cup of tea.
I also tried moa yellow & I prefer it & sb7J .
I just don't think I am a orange pod guy it was sweet & fruity & bland but not for me.

Back