• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bahamian Goat Pepper

Here you go Mike, fresh from the garden today... several more ready by the end of the weekend. Gotta love that tail on the pepper in the center.
2CE1F0A4-807C-4A74-B22F-49AFADB36FBD.jpeg

This will be my first year growing this pepper out, I'm curious to see if it can dethrone the Scotch Brain for my favourite pepper.

Winegums said:
This will be my first year growing this pepper out, I'm curious to see if it can dethrone the Scotch Brain for my favourite pepper.

It's got a good chance. Hope you dig em as much as I do!

Hi folks,

I have had a hard time IDing a mystery pepper.  Initially I thought it could be a 7-pot or a scotch bonnet (yellow or orange variants), but after reading this thread and looking at the pictures I think I may have a BG.

The task and aroma are amazing, and the color and shape fits the description here.   Can you guys who have had the plant take a look and tell me if you think it is a BG or something else? 
Here is the link of the ID threads with pictures:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72505-new-in-the-forum-and-need-your-help-to-id-this-beauty-;/

Can add more if needed.  Thank you in advance!

I would say yes, it looks like you've found your answer, those seem to be goat peppers.
For comparison, here's pictures of some I grew a few years ago...look like brothers to yours...I'm jealous!

Ezekiel said:
Last year member cmpman1974 was kind enough to send me some goat pepper seeds. Love these little peppers!

20140915_163350_HDR-1.jpg

Ezekiel said:
Beautiful peppers and the plant is producing well. I'd compare the heat to a Caribbean Red Habanero.
Picked a few last night. That's the Bahamian Goat Peppers up front and in focus (2 with the tail/stinger).

DSC_2618.JPG

Ezekiel said:
I would say yes, it looks like you've found your answer, those seem to be goat peppers.
For comparison, here's pictures of some I grew a few years ago...look like brothers to yours...I'm jealous!

Thank you for your input!

Those are absolutely stunning peppers.  I think this is the answer.

I will do a final follow up in that thread with some extra pictures of my 11 pepper haul and declare them an goats (finally).  After I post the pics I will ping you, since mine are equally beautiful.  The only difference is that mine look like little pumpkins and no stinger or second inner lobes.

Not all of mine had the stingers either, actually those two with the stingers were the only ones in that specific batch that even had the stingers, which is why just those two were tipped for the picture. Stoked you found your answer!

Grew these next to Freeports. Both varieties produced pods both with and without stingers. They looked almost identical; i could tell which were which mostly by the note angular grooves betwixt the Freeports' lobes. They tasted pretty much identical, too. We did plenty of "Pepsi challenge" tests with multiple tasters, and no one could reliably id one or the other.

Lucky thing is, they're danged tasty, good producers, hardy plants. The whole nine yards. Next year, I'll be growing the Goats over the Freeports, mostly bc it's a radder moniker

Back