food Basil

I constantly use basil for my pizza sauces and add it to any kind of pepper sauce when I make one...
also good in pasta, salads, pesto, cheese sandwich ... especially good with tomato
when I'm checking out my garden, which is every day .. i pick a few tops of basil and eat it on the spot ... it gets bushy that way fast so you get even more growth.... also helps with stomach issues I was told

tried once or twice with baked potato, but prefer rosemary or parsley

DaQatz said:
Geeme I have grown the purple before. It's sweet, with a bit more of an anise edge the genovese basil.
Thanks! It will be interesting to try when I get home tomorrow.

geeme said:
 The store-bought dried variety have a similarity to BP, but without the ammonia-like hit. Good in sausage, too. I'll sometimes tear up fresh leaves as an alternative to lettuce on a burger or sammie.

Really? another attack on BP? ammonia like?? WTH.

Yes fresh basil is better, that is why  have several plants, but in the winter, what are you going to do but use dried stuff?

I just wish BP bushes could survive in our climate. I'd mail you some if I could grow it.  :D

Just ooo, a crop from yesterday:
ibqbmyRneIUSPW.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Make a mojito with basil instead of mint.
Is it good (ok, i suppose it is otherwise you hadn't said that, just before tasting i'm more conviced with mint...)? It's some time that i want to try to make mojito (a granita mojito flavored maybe is a good idea).

Essegi said:

Just ooo, a crop from yesterday:
ibqbmyRneIUSPW.jpg

Is it good (ok, i suppose it is otherwise you hadn't said that, just before tasting i'm more conviced with mint...)? It's some time that i want to try to make mojito (a granita mojito flavored maybe is a good idea).

Essegi, what do you do with that much harvested at one time? I usually only take what I need for the meal  I am making.

Jeff H said:
Essegi, what do you do with that much harvested at one time? I usually only take what I need for the meal  I am making.
That time i had to give it to an uncle of mine since he needed it.
Sometime in end season we had harvested much basil too, we made pesto and freeze it (fresh is better but also frozen it isn't bad). 

SavinaRed said:
my bet is a pesto sauce
Of course if we kept it this was 1st choice.

At the end of the season. can bottle (washed and dried) fresh basil. Dipping in olive oil without leaving air between the sheets. You can add garlic unod feel. 
This holds one year in the bottle tightly closed  in the refrigerator ..

always prepare one or two containers, and so have fresh basil in the winter, to accompany meats, pizza, etc..

Pic of google.

Albahaca+conserva.JPG

Back