• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bay Plants

These grow quite readily in my climate (USDA zone 8a, coolsummer, maritime climate), and grow fairly vigorously once established.

Beware seed offers... the seeds must be kept moist during shipping or they die. This is a seedstock that should be purchased from reputable merchants only. Sporadic germination. I haven't tried cuttings, but i think this can only be better than seed propagation in most circumstances/applications.

They only seem to be bothered by pests of the scale/mealybug type but these can be a pain in hot summer weather.

note: i've never had the space to grow one myself. These remarks are based on observations of specimens in my neighborhood. The scale/mealybug pests can spoil quite a few leaves. I have no practical advice for this, as i have never treated a bay laurel for these pests.

Hope this helps.

Cuttings work but are very hard to root (or I'm abosolutely crappy with cuttings). Out of two dozen only two rooted enough since August to survive the winter.

Greek bay from cutting

regular laural noblis

New Orleans French Bay from cutting

Crispa Bays

Another Crispa Bay

Crispa from air layering

Another Crispa from air layering

Nice :) The scale can be a problem , had that a few years ago and had to use this sulferus stuff to deal with it. I dont use the leaves hardly, probably because I dont have recipes that use it, maybe start a Bay Recipe thread lol.

dragonsfire said:
Nice :) The scale can be a problem , had that a few years ago and had to use this sulferus stuff to deal with it. I dont use the leaves hardly, probably because I dont have recipes that use it, maybe start a Bay Recipe thread lol.
Just throw them in anything that is soupy or stewy.
Shoots coming up from where I cut off some of the air-layered branches. When the get woody, I can dig below the dirt and cut them off below where their roots and have some new plants.

I have the laurel noblilis monem that looks really similar. It's an Emerald Wave Sweet Bay by Monrovia nursery

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 77
Back