• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense BeagleStorm vs. The Peach Bhut Jolokia

This really took me by surprise. I am not a big fan of the Bhut Jolokia’s. I do like the chocolate ones for the most part but I just don’t like the flavor profile of the red ones. At least not fresh, as a powder or sauce, I enjoy them and I think almost any chile can be made to work well. Ok, so then last week I had a Yellow Bhut which was great but did not have the traditional Bhut shape and texture. Now this week I am trying a Peach Bhut from AjiJoe on thehotpepper.com. I think this looks like a perfect copy of a Bhut Jolokia. Size and shape is about right, it has a wrinkly, thin skin and the heat level seems to be spot on or just slightly lower. (It’s been a while since I had a regular Red Bhut) This one had a nice fruity sweet aroma even before I cut it open. The thin skin gives its aroma up easier. Holding it, it feels light and very thin skinned. Cutting it open reveals a beautiful interior. A nice white and peach flesh. The chile has a central vein of placenta with seeds growing off of it. The interior walls do not have a layer of placenta on it like a scorpion or 7. This is in line with a lot of Bhut’s I have tried so again this seems very accurate to the original. What it lacked in placenta it made up for in capsaicin oil. It had drops all over the interior. The aroma of the interior is unusual, and it is hard to place. Smells sweet, fresh and fruity and a tiny bit musky. Seed count was medium-low. First bite tasted unlike anything I have tried before. A bit like a watered down grape/pear but a lot more complex. Quite easy to eat, I ate the whole half with out ever thinking I did not like the taste. Really nice flavor overall. Heat was great. Not a bring you to your knees heat, but enough to get your blood pumping. Mostly in the tongue with just a tiny bit of burn in the throat. This chile makes it on to my top 10 best tasting list easily. I would say even top 3. I have had better tasting mild chile, but for a Superhot this takes the cake! Thanks Joe!

The pictures below look yellow. If you watch the video, I put them next to a yellow banana and you can really see the beautiful peach hue.

P1010456.jpg

P1010461.jpg

Here is a better picture showing the oil inside:
2011-10-08_01-17-38_211.jpg

Love the video reviews Beagle. I think I've watched everyone of them.
You're always very precise on the taste, heat, pain, etc.
That peachbhuts a real beauty. Can't wait to grow em.
:cheers:

Once again, great review. I enjoy your reviews most of all. I might have to put my red bhut seeds up for free giveaway to make room for Joe's peach bhuts!

Great video Mike! I got some seeds from Joe a few weeks about a month ago and now cant wait to grow them!

Matt

Back