• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beautiful colors but my God that 7 Pot is hot

I could have easily picked more 7 Pots and Citos today but i just wanted a few to compare to..........My ripe Beni's!!!!!!
FR6ekpt.jpg

I have no idea how hot these are ripe yet. Probably wait a day or two before i try one.
e5bSnvT.jpg

LOVE the production of the Beni highlands and both have been amazingly healthy.
C2Bkrzh.jpg

KPmrOuq.jpg

The color of the ripe CCN gochu is also stunning. This pic does not do it justice.
UB8C6xQ.jpg

Sauce, all of your plants are looking great!

Bicycle808 said:
I googled it right quick; most peppery liquor is the result of infusing the booze with chiles; it seems like most don't involves peppers in the mash or even the ferment....  but now i'm curious.  I hope other folks with more experience will chime in.

I make various honey wines (mead) with chiles.  My most popular is a habanero wine that I drink and that most other people use for cooking.  I include sliced peppers in the ferment.  The placenta goes in, but I deseed them because there's a surprising amount of tannin in the seeds of chile peppers and it will throw off the balance of the wine.  I wouldn't make a wine out of straight chiles.  While there are enough sugars in some varieties to make a weak wine, the end product would be poorly balanced and probably not even well suited for cooking.

Thatś interesting, Slug.  Very cool to put some chiles in the ferment.  & that totally makes sense re: the tannic vibes put out by the seeds.  I´ve recently started to omit the seeds from my sauces, b/c of the bitter aftertaste they impart.I find it´s noticeably stronger when using fresh pods versus dried or smoked pods; i tend to leave the seeds in for recipes that use the dry chiles.

Thanks for weighing in with some firsthand experience on the subject!  Chile-mead sounds great; do you think it work out if you added chiles to the ferment as a MOG in a white? 

Bicycle808 said:
Thatś interesting, Slug.  Very cool to put some chiles in the ferment.  & that totally makes sense re: the tannic vibes put out by the seeds.  I´ve recently started to omit the seeds from my sauces, b/c of the bitter aftertaste they impart.I find it´s noticeably stronger when using fresh pods versus dried or smoked pods; i tend to leave the seeds in for recipes that use the dry chiles.

Thanks for weighing in with some firsthand experience on the subject!  Chile-mead sounds great; do you think it work out if you added chiles to the ferment as a MOG in a white? 

A traditional mead is a white wine; in essence, so I think they would work equally well to give a bit of flavor and kick to a traditional white wine.  Whites are delicate, so you need far fewer chiles than you might think.  I only use 40g (5 peppers or so) worth of habanero per gallon of wine when using honey as a fermentable.  Both the habanero flavor and habanero heat are very forefront in that end product.  You'd want even less pepper when using a lighter sugar.

My CCN Beni highlands plant was one of my most productive plants last year

I ended up digging it up at the end of the year, repotting it and gifting to a friend of mine because he loved the pods so much!

Plants are looking good Sauce

Well i tasted the Beni Highlands and its not what i was expecting at all. Kinda grassy, citrus and very little sweetness. Bottom half of the pod had almost no heat. Stem end though was about like a Serrano. Smells like a mild hab but does not really taste like a hab.

Slug said:
Sauce, all of your plants are looking great!

I make various honey wines (mead) with chiles.  My most popular is a habanero wine that I drink and that most other people use for cooking.  I include sliced peppers in the ferment.  The placenta goes in, but I deseed them because there's a surprising amount of tannin in the seeds of chile peppers and it will throw off the balance of the wine.  I wouldn't make a wine out of straight chiles.  While there are enough sugars in some varieties to make a weak wine, the end product would be poorly balanced and probably not even well suited for cooking.

there is a winery near niagara falls that does a take on Icewine with hotpeppers. I think they call it Hot Ice.

http://grapeselections.com/crown-bench-estates/#.WXYxT_ltmUk

If you like yellow pods that taste amazing but not too hot you should try P.Dreadie Scotch Bonnet SS. I grew it along side yellow MoA SB last season and found the P.Dreadie to be VERY fruity and delicious with heat slightly less than a habanero. MoA on the other hand tasted grassy like bell pepper, nice but not special IMO.

Check out the P.Dreadie thread in the glogs for more info.

Jase4224 said:
If you like yellow pods that taste amazing but not too hot you should try P.Dreadie Scotch Bonnet SS. I grew it along side yellow MoA SB last season and found the P.Dreadie to be VERY fruity and delicious with heat slightly less than a habanero. MoA on the other hand tasted grassy like bell pepper, nice but not special IMO.

Check out the P.Dreadie thread in the glogs for more info.
I agree; the PDreadie pods I got from Hybrid_Mode01 last year were delicious.  I got some PDreadie plants growing; i hope there´s still enough time for me to get ripe pods from them this season.

I also agree re: the MOAs.  I got pods from a couple different growers; they look like the real deal (although it seems that they tend to throw out a lot of off-pheno shapes) but the flavour was, imo, too annuum-ish/grassy and lacked a lot of what I consider to be Scotch Bonnet character. Of course; I´m no expert; i´m just a fat guy from New Jersey who´s never even been to JA (where de rum come from) and who, until 2 years ago, was afraid to even cook with Bonnets, let alone pop a raw one in my mouth for a snack...

Whichever one you prefer, though, I think it´s safe to say that yellow Bonnets are an awesome addition to any collection of yellow chiles....

By my humble (WIMP!!!) standards, Aji Cito is already damned hot!
I grew an Orange 7 pot two years ago and found it delicious but - as you say - unfathomably hot.  I'd take a tiny nibble of the thing, enjoy the fantastic taste, then sweat and suffer for 5+ minutes.  After about 20 min, I'd feel up for another tiny morsel.  One pepper per day was about my limit!  :)

The bonnets i got mainly for hot sauce and to put some zip into a curry. The aroma a chinense gives curry is wonderful. Even an orange hab works great for that.

BTW i air dried one of the Benis. Mainly for the seeds  Curiosity got the better of me so i tried a piece of the dried pod..Oh yeah, thats nice...those will make a tasty powder and fresh they may work as a filler for a SB hot sauce.

I got around to tasting the CCN MOA today while collecting seeds.

Very fruity with just the slightest citrus. Nothing "anuumish" about it. Strong but pleasant aroma.
Slices starting at the tip
Tip was kinda mild but hotter than a serrano
Tiny bit of placenta...yeah its getting hotter
Stem end...Oh yeah its hot but I thought it smelled much hotter than it actually was. Pretty close to orange hab heat but i think my tolerance has improved.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I got around to tasting the CCN MOA today while collecting seeds. Very fruity with just the slightest citrus. Nothing "anuumish" about it
(Sorry in advance for the slight hijack) Shouldn't be anything "anuumish" about it since it's a Chinense, but how was the pheno on CCN's MoA? Got a pic? They just started selling those this year. I grew their "Yellow Scotch Bonnet" back in 2015 (before they had MoAs) and that plant put out some perfectly shaped "cup and saucer" Bonnet pods. Absolutely delicious too!

Back