• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beehives

There are lots of stingless bees, I was not aware that any of them reached the socialization levels of European Honeybees, and ants. I was unsure if the stories I had heard of honey producing South American stingless bees were true.

Many insects are pollinators, - wasps, flies, and native bees- some are more specific in what flowers they visit, others more catholic in their taste. the European fruit trees that were imported to the states by the early colonists would not survive here if the European honeybee were not imported also- but those bees happily collect nectar from local sources, as well. There are some wasps that visit only certain orchids.

I did not know that peppers needed pollinators-their flowers have a nectar content? or is it the pollen itself that attracts the insects? do they require pollinating insects or do they depend a lot on wind pollination? It seems as though everything about a pepper plant is designed to repel rather than attract. (except for us fools)

Are peppers native to Australia? I will read your links to answer my stingless bee questions! (my dads a beekeeper, this is interesting).

Celeste said:
I did not know that peppers needed pollinators-their flowers have a nectar content? or is it the pollen itself that attracts the insects? do they require pollinating insects or do they depend a lot on wind pollination? It seems as though everything about a pepper plant is designed to repel rather than attract. (except for us fools)

I want them for things like pumpkins and zuchinnis, mine at least don't pollinate well. Just thought the bees would be handy to increase the rate of pollination amongst the chillies and vegetables.

so can you buy the colonys?
I would definately get some for the home garden area.
great idea?
what do they cost for a basic set up?

I just contacted a few people I think I will get a hive or two depending on price. it will keep me a better gardener and help with pollination and the idea of eventually getting a klittle honey...even just a taste is coool
LV are you gonna get some too?
I might buy a few of there information booklets I'll photo copy them for you if your interested
thanks for the link

Mick

stillmanz said:
I just contacted a few people I think I will get a hive or two depending on price. it will keep me a better gardener and help with pollination and the idea of eventually getting a klittle honey...even just a taste is coool
LV are you gonna get some too?
I might buy a few of there information booklets I'll photo copy them for you if your interested
thanks for the link

Mick

I'm planning on get a hive for home, my mate went through Col Webb over at Brassall.

I'd be keen for a photocopy of the booklet/s, thanks Mick.

yep they bite like ants but dosn't hurt.
heres a pic of my hive
DSCF4805.jpg

and a little fella lookin around.
DSCF4801.jpg

DSCF4802.jpg

I have a honey storage 3rd level to put onto the box (its not in place yet) when the colony gets big you put them on but first they have to gain a couple kilos I have a a pretty heavily planted yard.. I have been talking to Tim Heard and Russel Zambal they have a heap of hives with honey levels they are actually producing enough to sell.
Moy your right mate you probably won't have the heat for honey production but a colony would survive an definately increase your pollination rates

Back