Beer and food in Seattle?

Hey all, I have a 6hr layover in Seattle in May and planning to head out into the city for food and drinks. What local brews and eats should I be keeping an eye out for? Anywhere you recommend going? I was thinking of heading down to Chinatown/International District via the Link.

Thanks in advance!

13 Coins is a classic restaurant and the source of our long-standing family story about Fettuccini Apollo.   (long story, not that funny so never mind right now~~~)  Fairly high end restaurant.  If you are wanting somethng a little more "local", there are a lot of neighborhood pubs etc. 

Just so you know...the airport is about 30 miles south of Seattle proper and nothing of interest out there except the usual Holiday Inn. 

13 Coins is kind of on the north end of downtown Seattle.  Probably enough time on a 6 hour layover to head into the city to 1 local, eat/drink, and then back to SeaTac.  13 Coins is GOOD!  we had dinner there a couple years ago.  Just dinner, didn't go into the bar.  Maybe check out some YELP or other Seattle blogs for other Seattle p[laces of interest.

Kell's Bar is in downtown right near the Pike Place public market.  It's purported to be haunted, and it's a cool local place that's been there for a long time.  Can't vouch for if it is acutally haunted or not, but we had drinks there a couple years ago....and it's a bar. 

And it's right near the waterfront where there a lots of other establishments of all sorts.

Likely you'll get more suggestions than able to explore, have fun wherever you go!

Chile Juju said:
 The original 13 Coins is in Seatac. 18000 International Blvd. Right next to the airport.

View attachment 17303
If you are willing to go to China town, then I would strongly suggest FX McRory's. It's close to Safeco field, a few blocks West of China town but the best of the Pacific NW flavor anywhere. Local Penn Cove Mussels, fresh Salmon, and their specialty, Oysters. Local and fresh.
http://www.fxmcrorys.com

+ to FX McRorys.

The original 13 Coins is at Seatac?  So...I got the StepChild/Poser at the downtown 13 Coins?????  OOOOOhhhh Boy!  (edit-DELETE-edit)

For the record, I did not grow up in or live in Seattle.  I'm from an area about an hour north of Seattle.  My Hubby grew up in the Seattle area, CJ and Scovie have lived in the Seattle area..... 

I'm just hoping some people who currently LIVE in the Seattle area will get in here. 

Don't make me go get my little brother-in-law who moved out of Seattle 2 years ago to join THP just to post in this thread!
and whatever you do.....DON'T go to Dick's Drive-In for a "good" burger!

Lol got it! No to dicks drive in. That's the weirdest name...

Yeah I am actually hoping someone might wanna meet up and take me around for a couple hours lol.
Gonna be a weekday though

hahahaha Don't listen to SL. she was at Dick's one time and it wasn't what she was expecting. But for those of us that grew up in Seattle, Dick's is a very special place. The beauty is in it's simplicity. And their sauce lol. Fresh cut fries and simple burgers EXCLUSIVELY SEATTLE. Dick's has been doing it right since 1954.  If you see a Dick's on your way back to the airport, tell your limo driver to stop and by him a couple burgers too. He'll love you.

I wish we weren't 5 hours out of Seattle Filmost, I would be there in a heartbeat. Me and CJ ruled that town. We have never lived anywhere else for longer.

I'm serious about 13 Coins and /or FX McRory's. Dead serious.

mmmmmmmmmm.... Dick's....

View attachment 17328

View attachment 17327

If you're curious... http://www.ddir.com

Scoville DeVille said:
hahahaha Don't listen to SL. she was at Dick's one time and it wasn't what she was expecting.

NOT TRUE!   I've been there 3 time!  First time about 10 years ago with lil Evan and 'Dude.  Then 2 more times with Evan at later dates. 

1st time...OK....That's not so bad...good milkshake, white buns that I would think might be like a White Castle bun...
2nd time.....Hmmm......
3rd time......yea...this is just isn't cutting it.....(neither Evan or I finished our burgers)

BUT!  Based on my experience....if filmost only goes there once, It'll be GREAT!  :lol:

LOL. Based on Scovies description it might turn out similar to this hole in the wall like mom and pop burger stand in my home town called the Yellow Umbrella. They've been around forever, and still going strong too! A true burger joint ;-)

8LFQYYlBype6Ky-640m.jpg

I was thinking about the distance / drive time from SeaTac to China town and FX Mcrory's so I mapped it. It says it's only a 22 minute drive, but I would allow 30 minutes. If you took a cab, it wouldn't be any shorter or longer. They are both on the south end of downtown so it's fairly direct. I sure wish I could meet up with you.

View attachment 17353

How close is FX McRory's to Pioneer Square?  Or should Pioneer square not be on the list?  FX is probably 5-10 minute cab ride to the Pike Place Market.

John has had Fettuccini Apollo at 13 Coins many times "back in the day".  It's their take on Fettuccini Alfredo with chicken and I'm not sure what else.  We were on vacation in Hawaii and went to a local Italian restaurant.  John wanted "Fettuccinin Apollo" and the waitress was like..."uuhhmmm don't know what that is...." 
John- "You know...Fettuccini Apollo...like they serve at 13 Coins." (like the waitress in Hawaii should know how 13 Coins in Seattle makes something~  :crazy:  :lol: )
Waitres- Do you mean Fettuccini Alfredo? 
John- No, Fettuccini Apollo!

Anyway, on the way back ot the condo, John was sitting up on the back of the convertible tripping out on all the Christmas lights and "Jingle Bell Rock" was playing on the radio.  Just one of those times that you never forget.  And now it's a standing joke about Fett Apollo -vs- Alfredo.

Many moons later he FINALLY took me to 13 Coins and I had to order it- Fettuccini Apollo.  Which was very good, by the way~ 

Back