Beer Haul

Fresh back from New York with as much beer as I could cram around the Puppies O'Thunder. Here's what I got:

Middle Ages Dragonslayer Imperial Stout - One to drink now, the rest to age
Andersson Valley Brewing Company's Deep Enders Dark Porter
Lagunitas Limited Release Cappuccino Stout - One to drink now, the rest to age
Oak-aged Yeti Imperial Stout
Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter
Stout's Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout - To be aged
Weyerbacher Ols Heathen Imperial Stout - One for now, one to age
Smuttynose Robust Porter - One to drink, one to age
Boulder Beer Planet Porter - To be aged
Arcadia Lakes Starboard Stout
Arcadia Lakes London Porter
Avery New World Porter
And a case of Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout! My Great Poo Pet of Love bought it for me last winter and kept it until I could bring it home.

I'm always torn between getting stuff I haven't tried and getting some "tried and true" varieties.

you shouldnt age the stoudts, weyerbacher, or the lagunitas. the stoudts and weyerbacher are filtered pretty heavily, and aging them will yeild off flavors. the lagunitas is only 7% or so, i think, and its pretty good fresh. hopefully you will like the middle ages, its good stuff!

brooklyn choc stout, one of the best. i have 3 or 4 years of it, great stuff to age. it really peaks around 3 years.

nice haul!

party at Pam's!!!

beer tasting
pepper poppers
home made tomato salsa
(hopefully) witty conversation

I'm in - I'll bring along some Kangaroo Steaks and a few Crocodile Cutlets, plus the mandatory Banana Prawns (shrimp) to throw on the barbie - I hope your grill can handle 12 inch shrimp Pam...

chilliman64 said:
party at Pam's!!!

beer tasting
pepper poppers
home made tomato salsa
(hopefully) witty conversation

And don't forget the guacamole!

I'm in - I'll bring along some Kangaroo Steaks and a few Crocodile Cutlets, plus the mandatory Banana Prawns (shrimp) to throw on the barbie - I hope your grill can handle 12 inch shrimp Pam...

I can take the big ones! I mean, you know, my grill can handle the big ones.

Anyway, now we can marinate the shrimp in Devil Duck's Sauce!

ross said:
you shouldnt age the stoudts, weyerbacher, or the lagunitas. the stoudts and weyerbacher are filtered pretty heavily, and aging them will yeild off flavors.

Ok, that's good to know. I didn't know there were stouts or porters that don't age well. I'm new at the aging beer stuff. I only aged some by accident a while back.

Summer before last, I found three of bottles of Black Fly Stout that had gone into hiding beneath a pile of mismatched socks in the laundry room. I brought them into the kitchen to dump them out, as they were part of the booty from Christmas a year ago, and it can get really hot in that laundry room in the summer. I figured they would be spoiled.

Anyway, I popped the top off one to dump it, and it popped loudly, like a champagne bottle, and shot the cap across the kitchen. I quickly held the bottle over the sink, expecting frothy, yeasty beer to spew over the top of the bottle, but nothing happened at first. Then a bit of wispy, foggy-like mist curled eerily over the top and rolled down the side.

I peered suspiciously into the bottle, but the beer looked normal. I sniffed, and got a noseful of rich, roasty stout smell. I poured a little bit into the sink, and it rolled out of the bottle thick and black. I thought about it a minute, and took a quick sip. Yum! A stout I had considered somewhat ho hum a year ago is black gold now!

I put the other bottles in the 'fridge.

the lagunitas is only 7% or so, i think, and its pretty good fresh. hopefully you will like the middle ages, its good stuff!

I really wanted to try the Lagunitas, but I thought some of it might be good aged, too.

brooklyn choc stout, one of the best. i have 3 or 4 years of it, great stuff to age. it really peaks around 3 years.

nice haul!

Oh yeah, one of my favorites, but it's seasonal, and rare for them to have any when I get up to the beer store in the summer.

Pam said:
Ok, that's good to know. I didn't know there were stouts or porters that don't age well. I'm new at the aging beer stuff. I only aged some by accident a while back.

Summer before last, I found three of bottles of Black Fly Stout that had gone into hiding beneath a pile of mismatched socks in the laundry room. I brought them into the kitchen to dump them out, as they were part of the booty from Christmas a year ago, and it can get really hot in that laundry room in the summer. I figured they would be spoiled.

Anyway, I popped the top off one to dump it, and it popped loudly, like a champagne bottle, and shot the cap across the kitchen. I quickly held the bottle over the sink, expecting frothy, yeasty beer to spew over the top of the bottle, but nothing happened at first. Then a bit of wispy, foggy-like mist curled eerily over the top and rolled down the side.

I peered suspiciously into the bottle, but the beer looked normal. I sniffed, and got a noseful of rich, roasty stout smell. I poured a little bit into the sink, and it rolled out of the bottle thick and black. I thought about it a minute, and took a quick sip. Yum! A stout I had considered somewhat ho hum a year ago is black gold now!

I put the other bottles in the 'fridge.

I really wanted to try the Lagunitas, but I thought some of it might be good aged, too.

Oh yeah, one of my favorites, but it's seasonal, and rare for them to have any when I get up to the beer store in the summer.

you should be able to buy BBCS in SC this year. start looking in october-november.

ross said:
you should be able to buy BBCS in SC this year. start looking in october-november.

Well, we're allowed to have big beer now, but we still have to get through the distributer system that thinks people only like fluffy beer.

you can buy alot of stuff down there already. so i mean, it will probably get through the distributor. it was one of the first big beers we had in nc.

chilliman64 said:
with a bit of careful quoting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
...I can take the big ones! I mean, you know....

I know Pam, I know...:shocked:

Is that why it says "smokin hot" below her name?

I am a fan of the oak aged yeti, but just in small doses. It is the only bottle of beer that I have ever encountered that I have to work hard to finish. It's not the high ABV (alcohol by volume) it is the charred oak flavor that comes through so strong! The first sip is yummy, but by the end of the bottle I feel like I have been standing out by the smoker for 12 hours straight. I love smoked beers, and especially imperial stouts, but they lay that smoke on THICK.

cheezydemon said:
I am a fan of the oak aged yeti, but just in small doses. It is the only bottle of beer that I have ever encountered that I have to work hard to finish. It's not the high ABV (alcohol by volume) it is the charred oak flavor that comes through so strong! The first sip is yummy, but by the end of the bottle I feel like I have been standing out by the smoker for 12 hours straight. I love smoked beers, and especially imperial stouts, but they lay that smoke on THICK.

its because OA yeti is not aged in a barrel. so it has a much stronger flavor

Back