Beer Here

I went to Love2Brew. Was really a combo wharehouse retail store, but the guy were great and they had a nice selection of stuff.

Should I burp those beers? If yes... How often?

Oh God ... probably already pretty loaded up, dude!

Go take the one w/ the most-headspace to the shower stall or outside, and wear oven mits and sunglasses ;)

The other's can be assuming to have more pressure inside.

grantmichaels said:
Oh God ... probably already pretty loaded up, dude!

Go take the one w/ the most-headspace to the shower stall or outside, and wear oven mits and sunglasses ;)

The other's can be assuming to have more pressure inside.
Are my concerns glass or the liquid...champagne effect?

grantmichaels said:
It'll geyser, so there's that ... but I always worry more about cutting or hurting my hands (the money maker's) ...
Popped them open....the one with the most headspace let out a nice whoosh...but no geyser effect....nothing...so lids back on and back in the basement.

Should I repeat the process?

tctenten said:
Popped them open....the one with the most headspace let out a nice whoosh...but no geyser effect....nothing...so lids back on and back in the basement.

Should I repeat the process?

I don't know ... you're trailblazing ...

On some levels I feel like saying you can drain pour whenever, but the tinkerer in ME would keep playing with them trying to see if I couldn't get enough CO2 into solution to learn something more about how they turned out ...

There's no magic happening, yeast in solution is eating leftover sugar plus whatever you added in priming sugar, and farting CO2 ...

The glass is not designed to contain pressure, but will contain a small amount safely ...

While the bottle is closed CO2 is going into solution, especially at fridge temp ...

When you open it, it's getting released, albeit faster from the air/headspace than the liquid ...

Burping would probably mean having the lid popped for as limited a time as possible, to limit the amount the escapes the liquid, and maximize the amount leaving the headspace ...

Basically, this is kind of like mental masturbation ...

So long as your excited about your next batch, I wouldn't waste too much energy on these ... see if you can't get a little CO2 into solution and get a lowly carbonated taste of your 1st homebrew before the oxygen makes it taste like ass, then prepare for the next two batches IMHO ...

Makes sense. I am going to leave them till next weekend and then try one. I tasted it before I bottled. Smelled and tasted like beer...not sure if it tasted like a beer that I will drink....to be continued.....

tctenten said:
Makes sense. I am going to leave them till next weekend and then try one. I tasted it before I bottled. Smelled and tasted like beer...not sure if it tasted like a beer that I will drink....to be continued.....

With or without mid-point burping?

Also, FWIW, I'm not sure that's a beer I'd like either ...

If I have some time maybe I will burp them mid week.

Hopefully a few more Met games to watch, need to get dough made for pizza TD, some dance dad chores, etc...

Have you tried the Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point yet?

tctenten said:
If I have some time maybe I will burp them mid week.

Hopefully a few more Met games to watch, need to get dough made for pizza TD, some dance dad chores, etc...

Have you tried the Habanero Sculpin from Ballast Point yet?

Nope!

I kind of like the Grapefruit Sculpin, but I don't like the plain Sculpin at all, and don't really like habanero as a pepper ... so I let is pass ...

You like?

grantmichaels said:
Nope!

I kind of like the Grapefruit Sculpin, but I don't like the plain Sculpin at all, and don't really like habanero as a pepper ... so I let is pass ...

You like?
The more I drink it yes. It has a nice burn that is kind of interesting. Certainly not an everyday beer....but once in a while.

I was curious if it was what you were after when you came up with JayT's beer.

Regardless of whether JayT's made-batch turns out drinkable, I'm brewing it again ...

I'm going to turn it down, and turn it up at the same time ...

I'm not going to mash it as high, and I'm going to learn to calc out the degrees Lintner of the grist before I brew it again, to ensure I create a fermentable wort in the 1st place ...

It's not going to get lactose, maltodextrin, a half-dozen C* specialty grains, rye, oats, AND high mash temp ... LOL.

I think I'm going to keep the mash temp around 150F, soak a lot of grain if need be to hit gravity in a reasonable time, keep the lactose but toss the maltodextrin, reduce the syrup by like 25% (I might reserve that to use again later in secondary), and add some szechuan peppercorn to add a physical numbing to the overall picture ...

Dropping all of Cara* grains and maltodextrin and mashing low-normal should get that beer right where I want it ...

I'll ask Wheebz if I should drop the oatmeal, or perhaps toast it or something ...

But basically going to remake that using a rye stout recipe with decent integrity, and add lactose and szechuan peppercorns and the bhut sizzurp only this time ...

I might split the batch and do a bunch of variants in this next step, so I can hopefully have it pretty dialed in for a 3rd batch ...

I'm going to brew Darkness Everybody again ... it's needs body, and more strength, and maybe a more stout-y yeast than WLP001 ... maybe some WLP002 or WLP007 or Wyeast 1056 or 1968 or something ... we'll see.

That's the fun, though ;) ...

All signs seem to point to thermopen no matter if you are talking BBQ circles or brewing circles, but if you don't shell out ...

http://amzn.com/B00LGLITS2

... is supposed to have been tested to be reliably accurate by the anal dude's over at BIABrewer.info, which is why I picked one up (I never use it, though) ...

I ordered a stir plate so I can have a yeast starter for my next batch. I hope that this will solve the issue of under attenuation on my first batch.

I watched a few videos and tutorials on how to do this and have a question. The US-05 packet and the tutorials I watched were for 5 gallon batches. If I am brewing a one gallon kit, do I use the whole packet and pitch all of the yeast starter?

Thanks. Seems like if I start the starter on friday night... It should be in the sweet spot to brew sunday morning. Either way... Sounds like it will be brtter than pitching the dry yeast.

Back