Beer Here

Ok, you'll need an FG of 1.024 for that ABV, based on that OG ... which I think is quite reasonable.

If it hit's 1.020, it's a 5% ABV. And, the other direction, 1.028 would be 4%.

I think you've made beer, and I am pretty sure 5.75g of rehydrated 05 is going to go to town on this one =)

Did you get it good and oxygenated? ...
tctenten said:
Gravity was 1.058...brix....15.

Just out of curiosity, though ...

15 Plato is 1.061
14.5 Plato is 1.059

* Brix and Plato are numerical similar to 3 decimal places, and brewer's read Brix in the meter and use Plato for the description ...

I could be reading this completely wrong.. But this is my refractometer

image.jpeg

15 brix is 1.057 or 1.058.

Who knows. Science us not my thing.

tctenten said:
I could be reading this completely wrong.. But this is my refractometer

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

15 brix is 1.057 or 1.058.

Who knows. Science us not my thing.

Use the Brix on that, the markings for SG are dead wrong ...

Details on SeanTerrill's site, somewhere:
http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

(It might not be that post, but it's in one of them ...)

So, let's say OG = 1.061 ...

A FG of 1.027 would be the 4.5% ABV they sell it as being ...

FG 1.030 for 4%
FG 1.023 for 5%

Looks good.

Ok..will do.  Thanks for catching that.

image.jpeg

According to this... My original Brix at 15 = 1.0587(same as my refractometer)
Final brix at 10 = 1.0225(different than my refractometer due to the presence of alcohol)?

This would get me 4.6 abv...target is 4.5

So if I continue to take gravity readings with my refractometer, I should be fully fermented at brix 10?

tctenten said:

Ok..will do.  Thanks for catching that.

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

According to this... My original Brix at 15 = 1.0587(same as my refractometer)
Final brix at 10 = 1.0225(different than my refractometer due to the presence of alcohol)?

This would get me 4.6 abv...target is 4.5

So if I continue to take gravity readings with my refractometer, I should be fully fermented at brix 10?

You can't use that until you've calculated a wort correction factor over 10x batches, or you've calibrated your actual refractometer somehow ...

You can do a c-mash w/ some known grains, I guess, but screw all that ...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brix-converter/
http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

http://www.brewersfriend.com/stats/

;)

Most likely going to head to a local home brew shop tomorrow or Wednesday. I have 2 more gallon kits that need to be brewed and then I would like to maybe try a larger batch.

Should I remain with the kits?
Should I go straight to a 5 gallon kit? Or should I try something in between first?
When I go to larger size batches, should I buy the glass carboys? Or the bottling buckets?

I would guess a 5 gallon batch would produce 45-50 12 oz bottles...how long does bottled homebrew stay good?
wheebz said:
Dude I am the most patient person I know. Ask grant. That asshole.
Ahhh yes...great. Right now I have been "asking Grant". I really am reading up on this stuff, but sometimes practical experience is more helpful.

Helpful ... and a lot more patient than I am!

Wheebz beer is a lot better than kit beer.

:cheers:

I try to answer the questions of his that you've already answered for me ...

tctenten said:
So far no action with the stout…24 hours in.  
Mead still bubbling away.

The stout batches don't krausen to the same extent, but I think you should try to get it some more aeration, personally ...

If Wheebz doesn't chime in before you get home, go w/ my recommendation ...

tctenten said:
I am home today….heading to dentist.  Aeration by shaking again?  

I think so ... but you can post it up in ASK WHEEBZ too, just to be sure ...

I don't think you want to be forcibly smashing the yeast in there by shaking it per se, but you can definitely swirl it for a couple mins straight to get more oxygen into solution ...

grantmichaels said:

I think so ... but you can post it up in ASK WHEEBZ too, just to be sure ...

I don't think you want to be forcibly smashing the yeast in there by shaking it per se, but you can definitely swirl it for a couple mins straight to get more oxygen into solution ...

Seems like some krausen on top now, but it is not the foaming bubbling that I saw on my first batch.  Will let it go another day, then I will post a pic and "Ask Wheebz"

So I stopped at another local homebrew store tonight. Pretty cool place. You can brew there and use their equipment.....something to think about for a larger batch down the road. I think the next step I take after I finish the kits is to do either a 2 or 3 gallon batch. Pretty sure I can handle that with the equipment I have. They said they would custom fill any recipe. So whichever kit I like the most, I am going to try and find a similar recipe.... Or maybe try one that you guys recommend.

Back