Beer Reviews

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

IMG_9260.jpg

at first it was a bit too strong in the flavor/taste area for me..but after having a little i warmed up to it and it was pretty good. i was looking forward to trying this stuff once the guy pointed it out. its basically the hoppiest belgian i've ever had. you can still tell its a belgian ale, but with plenty of hop bitterness. i am buying another one of these bottles, but i'm going to age it. i can't imagine how good this shit would taste after sitting around for a few years. its not incredible as is, but i think with time it would become a very very good beer...especially for being such a strange style. not too many ipas produced in belgium.

Shipyard Brewer's Choice 2007 Honey Porter

IMG_9261.jpg

wasn't sure what to expect with this one, but i was pleasantly surprised. pours a nice dark porter color with about an inch of head that doesn't stay for too long. the smell immediately makes me think of honey. its not overpowering, actually subtle in a way, but definitely present. taste is malty but sweet..not as much of the honey coming through until the aftertaste sets in. even then the honey isn't as present as it is in the smell.

not too heavy for a porter, i would drink this again without hesitation. i would buy it again..especially because its not very expensive..though i wouldn't say its one of the best porters i've had. easy to drink and i'm happy to drink it, but its not spectacular in any sense. give it a try if you like porters or are a fan of other shipyard offerings.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

IMG_8763.jpg

maybe i'm crazy..maybe its all in my mind..or maybe there is something more to drinking from the right kind of glass than i thought..but i swear i found it more pleasurable to drink it from a tulip glass (ba recommends this) instead of the pint glass i had the first one in. maybe i was taking smaller sips? i really can't say, but its a pretty solid ipa. not my favorite though..there was something to the flavor that didn't quite sit well with me..i guess its just because its a double ipa and i'm more used to standard ipas...expensive...but you can still buy a 4 pack for a couple bucks less than ONE 12 oz. 120 min IPA! i was actually reaching for the 120 then saw it was about $12 a bottle!

Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout

IMG_8774s.jpg

picked this up randomly after noticing what style it was. glad i did too. a nice chocolate malty flavor to a medium bodied stout. i was thinking it would be heavier..but wasn't the case. its from the uk, so i guess all of you across the pond should be able to find this stuff..not sure how widespread it is over on this continent but i don't think its too obscure. definitely give it a go if you like chocolate stouts.

La Fin du Monde (the end of the world) from Unibroue brewing co.

IMG_8315s.jpg

another belgian style ale from the french canadians at unibroue. GREAT stuff! i think of all the unibroue beers i've had (only 4 of however many they offer) this is my favorite one. i like them all a lot too. pours a nice golden color with a pretty decent head. the smell is complex and welcoming. sorta sweet and yeasty overall. this is another beer you can't drink from the bottle as there is a layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle that you want to disturb as little as possible. the taste is light, sweeter than yeasty, but you can taste the yeast. pretty balanced overall i'd say. goes down very smooth. mild alcohol or carbonation to the taste as well.

so far i have yet to really learn much about pairing beer and foods, but right now i am eating some extra spicy beef lo mein from my favorite chinese place and it goes very well together. none of the flavors clash at all.

IMG_9853.jpg

didn't go too crazy tonight as i am trying to wake up pretty early tomorrow. but i did also pick up some of this lost coast brewing co 8 ball stout. it doesn't say 8 ball stout..but just a picture of the ball and then it says stout so there you have it. its an oatmeal stout to be more specific. from the side of the bottle: "this rich, robust stout is made with pale malted barley, oatmeal, roasted and chocolate malts, pacific northwest hops, crystal clear mountain water and ale yeast." the smell is malty. the taste is malty too...kinda roasty....maybe even a hint of yeast. a moderately light stout. somewhat bitter too. can't really taste the hops..but maybe i am just not used to tasting them in a stout. i like the imperials more than the oatmeal though. all in all...pretty good, but not something i am planning on picking up again. maybe if i get more into oatmeal stouts..but i would buy the samuel smiths os first.

unibroue 15

brewed specifically for their 15th anniversary, this beer is a limited production beer. a belgian style pale ale from french canada.
IMG_9925.jpg

a great beer. a hazy golden color. good head at first...dissipates a little. smell is predominantly yeasty..a bit of sweetness/fruit. the taste is similar. a little more on the yeast side than sweet. very smooth, and doesn't taste very alcoholic either, especially considering it is 10% abv. doesn't taste nearly as strong as other beer i have had with slightly less alcohol. i must admit i am reviewing this in the state of not having much for dinner (the last of my left over pulled pork, with a healthy dose of ez earls blazin hot stuff) and have had several beers before hand. but i believe i have a good idea of this beers flavor..and i think my palate was fairly "clear" while trying this beer. actually i think the ez earl goes well with this beer because the flavor doesn't really change between bites of the bbq. i'm not great at pairing alcohol with food...but so far this is a great combination! :)

Toheys Old

Tooheys have been brewing this black/brown ale since 1869 and in Australian beer history that's almost the year Dot. Many believe this to be a dark ale in the style of British brewing, while Tooheys disagrees describing OLD as more like the German "Alt" beers. Like so many dark ales brewed in Australia, Tooheys OLD doesn’t make the mistake of overpowering the palate with roasted malty flavour.
The black malt gives OLD its dark colour as well as its nickname, "Black". It's not as "thick" as a stout. It is made with top fermentation ale yeast. Slightly roasted flavour. :) Perfect with pepper steak. :)

dogfish head aprihop

IMG_0929.jpg

another "different" offering from dfh. pretty decent though. honestly dfh doesn't make my favorite ipas (a bit malty) but i've enjoyed the ones i've had. this has a nice balance though between the hops and malts..though still a little on the malty end for me. medium bodied...small head..a little sticks around..not much lacing at all. you can taste the sweetness from the apricots but its more present in the smell, however the malts are the dominant aroma. now that i taste it again, i'd say the apricot flavor is strongest right after you swallow a gulp, then it moves into a more malty flavor with little bit of hops in there.

i wouldn't even have thought of putting apricots in an ipa. better than i'd have guessed. the only reason i gave it a shot was because i really like ipas. they are challenging my favorite beer style for the throne! stouts beware! :lol:

Smuttynose Robust Porter

Pours nice and dark with some glints of mahogany, Nice roasted, chocolately malt smell, and silky mouth feel. The taste is a smooth roasted chocolate with just a bite of hops in the finish for balance. Very drinkable, and one of my favorite porters.

Saranac Black Forest

This beer is a nice mid-point between hearty dark beers and their lighter cousins. It has the nice malt flavor of a porter in a light bodied beer. Nice roasty flavor with only a faint echo of hops. A little too much of a sweet, cola-type aftertaste to be a really great beer, but it's a nice change of pace.

Brother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale

(keep in mind, I'm drunk and haven't shaved in three days)

brothersbeerfx3.jpg

Bother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale- by Anderson Valley Brewing Company- 10% ABV.

Ok, if you are looking for perfection, you will find it in Brothers. Coming in a 1 pint bottle at around $6.00, complete with a wax/plastic top (reminicent of Defcon's hot sauce), this is the best beer that you will ever have. I would rate it as 5% bitter, 90% smooth, and another 5% ""get you waaaaaayyy drunk". It's not too hoppy which is a nice feature for a high abv beer.

The real treat for this is the taste. The subtle flavors really make the beer. Noting that this is a pasturized beer, this is the closest thing to a "fresh brewed, unpasturised, taste" that you'll ever have.

IMG_1410.jpg

tastes just like it smells...delicious! damn this stuff was good. expensive but good. comes in a nice big corked bottle and is a limited release. i bought two more bottles of this, despite the fact that its $13.99 a bottle. i drank one, and am going to let the other one age for a while. hell i compare this more to wine (not in that it tastes like wine, just is solid as far as its own taste and quality) so really 14 bucks isn't so bad. one thing that surprised me was that its bottle conditioned. not something i'm used to for an ipa...except that belgian one i guess.. has some fruity flavors in there as well as the typical hops and malts of a double ipa. very smooth though and pretty easy to drink for a double ipa. if you like ipas and see this, buy it.

lost coast brewing co. downtown brown (brown ale)

IMG_1602.jpg

not much head, but i did pour it kinda slow. dissipates fairly quickly...no lacing. smells first of faint alcohol then more malty, even a little bit of chocolate. smells nice..the alcohol isn't too strong in the smell at all, not even noticeable until you stick your nose into the glass. color is dark brown/amber..not black like the picture..my flash always makes beers look darker. taste is good, medium to light body, similar taste as smell...hint of alcohol (this stuff isn't very strong i don't think as far as ABV goes), feels kinda carbonated in my mouth, lightly roasted malts dominate the flavor..not really tasting the chocolate i smelled..just a tiny bit in the aftertaste. good stuff...i tried their indica pale ale before which was a good ipa, so i am now working through their other beers. (sorry for the out of focus picture)

allagash dubbel reserve (batch # 60)

IMG_1608.jpg

7% ABV with a nice creamy light tan head, smells of delicious yeast and malt. also has some hints of sweetness, fruit maybe. the taste is a little different...theres a bitterness to it that isn't in the smell. to be perfectly honest, my first thought was "doh! i wish it tasted more like it smells." not to say its bad..just a tad let down after finding out how good it smells. i guess i can kinda smell the bitterness more now..could all be in my head. can't decide if i can taste the alcohol, or if its spices or even carbonation. could be carbonation, there are plenty of little bubbles still going up to the top as with many beers of this and similar styles. the sweetness seems more bitter in the taste. have warmed up to the taste a little since i started drinking it..still have to say my hopes were set a little higher after having the allagash white. head is still sticking around..some lacing too. fairly complex taste overall..i'm sure i'm missing something in there.

from the bottle: "allagash dubbel reserve is a dark amber belgian-style ale. brewed in the centuries-old tradition of the monasteries of belgium. we craft it with seven malts, a special sugar, and our own belgian yeast. following a lengthy period of conditioning and a fresh dose of yeast, we fill each hand numbered bottle, and allow the ale to naturally carbonate in our cellars. when stored at cellar temperatures, this unique ale will continue to mature in the bottle and improve with age."

note...its not quite that dark..its just the flash.

struise pannepot

so i feel i must tell a story before actually talking about this beer. i actually recieved 2 bottles of this from 2 different people. the first one i got as a surprise beer from a friend of mine whom i trade beer back and forth with. i eagerly unwrapped it when i got home from work and had it sitting on the bar as i was cleaning up the bubble wrap etc. all of a sudden, i heard a really loud noise, and glass and beer went everywhere. after saying about 25 words that start with F and GD, i looked at what USED to be my bottle of pannepot. the pizza on the bar was ruined, as it was covered in glass and beer - the floor was covered in glass and beer, and the ceiling had beer on it as well. needless to say, it was a mess, but the beer smelled so awesome as it poured and drained off my bar onto the floor. it was a sad day for me. so then a week later, my friend (different friend) messages me and says hey, i got you a bottle of pannepot. i said great, ill call the bomb squad when i get your box. he said the ones he had didnt explode, so i felt somewhat better. this will be the point where i should probably talk about the beer and perhaps explain why it blew up.

for those of you that do not know, pannepot is a highly sought after belgian strong ale that is very similar to the likes of westvleteren 8, rochefort 8, and st bernardus 8. it could also be compared to the more common chimay blue. it is dark brown with a tan head on it. not really a shock on the appearance. the smell is sweet and spicy, with tons of notes of fruity flavors as well as cinnamon, plums, some cherries, coffee and chocolate notes here as well. it is sweet and smooth to drink, the abv (10%) is not noticed at all - very lively mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. this is a consistantly very high rated beer on ratebeer.com and (i think) beeradvocate.com. i do not frequent BA.com, so i cant say for sure on that one. on ratebeer it is in the top 20.

this beer was just recently imported into the USA, and the bottles my friend in maryland had were all gushers when he opened them. there are a number of things that could cause a beer to "gush" - infection is one, and over carbonation (obvious one here) is another. i do not believe the beer was infected, but i do believe the bottles he got were overcarbonated. the struise brewery is a very small brewery, and every bottle may be different based on the amount of yeast deposited into the bottle, etc etc - but not to help matters any, my friend actually used a capper and crimped the cap down on the bottle to form a better seal. doing this most likely forced the beer to have no outlet for co2 (all capped beers emit co2 in minute doses) and thus, the beer built up more pressure than the bottle could handle.

the beer that i did manage to drink my friend in nashville obtained from someone in florida - so that kind of helps with the distribution. it is in florida, and maryland for sure. i think you can get it in PA, and possibly into MA. not sure about distribution as you go farther west. the price tag on my bottle was 5.99 (a real deal), and if you see this bottle, make sure you snag one up - it is a really great beer. does it topple rochefort 8? for me - no. it is too sweet and possibly too spicy - but it is quite a beer, and by no means does this thing suck. i just dont think i could make it a daily drinker as i could with rochefort 8. it is distributed by shelton brothers, so if you get beers from them, look for this one on the shelves.

three floyds dark lord imperial stout

anyone that is a beer geek knows of one special day in the usa - and that is the last saturday in april. this time, it was april 29. it is known as dark lord day. it is located in munster (bout 30 miles south of chicago) indiana. they have been doing it for i think 4 years now. this is the only day of the year that you are able to buy three floyds dark lord imperial stout, and it is only sold at their brewery - their is a bottle limit (6), and they are 15 dollars a peice. did i go? hell no - its a really long drive for me, plus i have some at the house already - but the other night i opened one of my bottles of dark lord while i was smoking a cigar. the bottle i opened was a 2006.

this is the ultimate beer for me. this is hands down the best thing i have ever drank in my life. period. without a doubt. there are many that come close, but nothing can top this beer for me (that has been released). there are some obscure belgian lambics that could possibly take this crown away, but that would involve alot more trouble and money than i am willing to deal with just for a beer. so as for now - this is the best thing i have drank. this is the thickest beer i have ever seen. it looks like used motor oil that hasnt been changed in 30,000 miles, and when you drink it the sides of your glass turn brown because the beer just sticks to the glass. the smell is so complex it is almost too hard to describe. there is: coffee, sugars, chocolate, molasses, plums, a slight note of apples, fruits, raisins, and so much more i could go on and on. the taste is quite the experience, and it literally took me about an hour to drink half of the bomber. it is so rich and filling, there is no telling what the calorie count on this stuff is :lol: taste is mostly like drinking a thick chocolate bar full of alcohol. it is simply an amazing beer. at 13% abv it packs a huge punch. if you are lucky enough to obtain this beer, do yourself a favor and share it with someone. it is almost a sin to drink something this good by yourself.

St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

IMG_1610.jpg

wasn't expecting the twist off cap. i poured it a little slow i guess..but there was a small head that mostly went away after a minute or so. smells like coffee, roasted malt, maybe even a hint of chocolate. could be a little oatmeal in there too hah...it does have that oatmeal stout smell..sounds fairly obvious though. taste is largely a smoky/roasted malt flavor, a bit of coffee too. tastes pretty much just like it smells, which is fine with me cause it smells great! medium to heavy body. its a shame they don't sell this stuff down here. lacing is pretty minimal, tiny layer of head seems to be in for the long haul. has a little bitterness too it as well..maybe a some of the hops kicking in there to balance out the rest of it, but not too much of a hop flavor really.

Propeller Revolution Russian Imperial Stout

IMG_1615.jpg

another beer i received from a friend up in canada as part of a trade. if any of you watch the show trailer park boys, propeller is a local nova scotia brewing company that makes beers that the boys frequently drink during the movie and some of the shows.

chose the snifter to make sure i didn't drink it too fast..also get a better smell. pours out pretty dark..almost looks like liquefied tar. one finger head that dissipates to a ring of foam. no lacing on my glass. also some small bubbles rising up to the surface. the smell is nice...very coffee like with some unsweetened chocolate and a very very faint hint of alcohol. tastes very roasted, that is the first thing that comes to mind, then it seems to have a bitter sweet aftertaste that lingers. not quite as heavily bodied as i'd have thought.

Back