contest BEGIN! Bayou Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have trouble posting pics, so getting a jump on it now... instead of waiting till the last moment as normal.
*sigh*
I've got teaser pics and final pics... just have to wait for the wife to get home so she can post them... the site isn't allowing me to post from my site. :cry:

The menu for this evening:

Fried Alligator, with a Garlic Crawfish Beurre Blanc Habanero Sauce

Chicken and Turkey Gumbo with Andoulle, crab, and Okra

"Texas-style" Nawlins BBQ Shrimp (using Shiner Bock)

Hoppin' Madman Habanero Frog Legs (Madman is a Hab and Bhut spice mix- kinda like "Tony Chachere's", but with a much bigger bite)

East Texas Cocktail Sauce (made with my homemade Bhuts Hot Sauce)

X Garlic Buttered French Bread (...the herd finished it off before it made it in the pics)
...I also was going to do a Blackened Catfish (catfish and spices shown in teaser pics), but it got dark outside... and I got tired of fighting off the grubby paws attacking the table before the pics were done... so the catfish still sits in the fridge.

Ingredients off list shown in teaser
X Catfish (shown, but not used)
Alligator
Crawfish
Shrimp
Crab
Andoulle
Chicken
Turkey smoked on grill (in freezer, not shown...Thanksgiving leftovers)
Okra
Rice
Roux
Trinity
File
Cayenne, habanero, jolokias

...cooking is completed, but will post pics soon.

(You must limit the protein ingredients to the above and not add additional meat, fish, etc.)

Hoppin' Madman Habanero Frog Legs (Madman is a Hab and Bhut spice mix- kinda like "Tony Chachere's", but with a much bigger bite)

To be fair to the other entrants this should not be in the final plating.

After a couple of hours as a PC Software Technician...I got my stuff to work.

Here it is...LunchBox's "Big-Three Jambalaya"...a Texiana mix of Cajun staples, Tex-Mex flare, and OCD...which has 3 letters..."O" is the 15th letter (divisible by 3), "C" is the 3rd letter (obviously divisible by 3), and "D" which is the 4th letter, but the word "disorder" has 8 letters in it...so 4+8 = 12...which is divisible by...3; 12/3 = 4, which is the letter "D", so it all comes back around and we're all good.

Oh...uhhmmm...alright then. I promise I'm relatively normal.

Here is is...I whipped up some "Cajun-Crackers"...thin sliced potatoes lightly fried in a mix of peanut oil/butter, seasoned with a mix of Tony's and Blackened seasoning...with the requisite onions, and for our dining pleasure...I got a fully ripe, red serrano. Scoop a little Big-Three into the "Tater-Cracker", and go to heaven for a bit.

dectdplating1.jpg

dectdplating2.jpg

dectdplating3.jpg

...and a little something special to those of you rolling your eyes at us Texans...we can "feel" it...

I was almost done eatin'...and had to toss this in...

dectdplating4.jpg

Ingredients in compliance with THP Code 12-TD-BB' sections 1-4:
Bayou Battle...

Pick at least one main ingredient:
1. Catfish
2. Gator (or croc, for Aussies)

3. Shellfish (crawfish, shrimp, blue crab, or oysters only)
4. Pork (andouille, tasso, or chaurice only)
5. Poultry (chicken, turkey, or duck only)

(You must limit the protein ingredients to the above and not add additional meat, fish, etc.)

Pick at least two additional ingredients:
1. Okra
2. Corn

3. Rice
4. Tomatoes
5. Pecans <does Pecan-wood smoke count? I mean, technically, molecules from the Pecan species entered the food>

(You may also add whatever else you want as long as you pick two, and do not add additional meat, fish, etc. except what is listed in section 1.)

Pick at least one Cajun/Creole staple:
1. Roux
2. Trinity (green bell peppers, onion, celery)
3. Crab/Shrimp/Crawfish boil (spices)
4. Creole Mustard <well...it probably ended up that way>
5. Filé Powder

Pick at least one cooking method:
1. Grill/Smoke
2. Fry (deep or sauté)
3. Étouffée
4. Boil
5. Stew

Mandatory ingredients:
Cayenne pepper, and one hotter pepper (in any form). Chile List: Jalapeno, Serrano, Cayenne, ***Scotch Bonnet (home dried and ground)*** <the "hotter pepper">

looking good!

here's most of the ingredients. A couple items will be evolving, but the basic ingredients are there.

835aafae.jpg

proof of life-
89c4c4da.jpg

Not making hurricanes, but a tribute none the less-
eb475a60.jpg

Could not find a couple items in the store, so I made my own- Creole Mustard and Cajun Spice! Ingredients will be posted in final post-
0ef0a64f.jpg

7683eb16.jpg

I also had a couple items planned for the works but since they were not on the list...another entry for The Drunken Chef thread. :D

Let the good times roll!

To be fair to the other entrants this should not be in the final plating.

...ok, I see that now.
I could have sworn they were on the list.
But in the spirit of being fair, if no one else cooks froggies, then ignore them on the final plateing and picture them as chicken. :)

...finally got it to work. :dance:
This is the Ingredients described in the earlier post
100_3597.jpg

Frying up the alligator, gumbo steaming up the whole room, and the Beurre Blanc Sauce working it's magic before just before the crawfish is added.
100_3607.jpg

Coach,
froggers were on the preliminary list, but not on the Official Rules post. There were also items added to the official rules that were not on the preliminary post.

as for the rest of the dilemma....go to a 3rd picture hosting site and open an account ...pronto! Good Luck!?!?

or just wait until the morning when things are usually back up and running on the original websites....

Posting deadline is 9PM EST. You have some time to get things resolved.
SL

Coach,
froggers were on the preliminary list, but not on the Official Rules post. There were also items added to the official rules that were not on the preliminary post.
Wasn't on either. The list was only expanded.

JoeyK,
they are a hand made andouille sausage, made by our local small butcher shop. They look really different than the andouille sausages posted by others.

Is that good or bad? ?!?

Finally, final plateing pics... as strains of "Louisana's LeRoux" and "Johnny Jenkins" played in the kitchen all day to set the mode.
100_3615.jpg

Fried Alligator, with a Garlic Crawfish Beurre Blanc Habanero Sauce
Gator marinated in Shiner Bock, dipped in egg and dredged in Zatarain's Seasoned Shrimp-Fri (corn flour/wheat flour);
For the Beurre Blanc: butter, garlic, green onions, mushrooms, white wine, and heavy cream (cream and Habs run through food processor). After it reduced, added more wine and cream (without Habs) and reduced again. Added more butter and crawfish, reduced and plated.

100_3618.jpg

Chicken and Turkey Gumbo with Andoulle, crab, and Okra
Made roux using flour, and half oil-half margarine (creates a smoother roux and helps keep it from burning when you go for a "Neches River" mud color), boiled chicken, skimmed the pot, poured out half the water, shreaded the chicken and placed back in the water, dissolved roux in water, defrosted smoked turkey (from Thanksgiving) and shreaded, added chicken and beef broth to pot. Cut up andouille, added file, thyme and bay leaf, and fried in skillet long enough to sweat it- threw in pot, and reserved oil from it. Added margarine onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic... when onions opaque tossed in pot. Added okra to skillet with more margarine and flour, cooked till wilted... and in the pot. Added 1/2 tbs sea salt, more file, black pepper and cajun seasoning to taste.
Served over rice, topped with cayenne and green onion.

100_3610.jpg

"Texas-style" Nawlins BBQ Shrimp (using Shiner Bock)
Melted butter and sauted onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, rosemary, parsley and Cajun seasoning. Added more butter, half the Shiner, lemon juice, and Worcestershire, and brought to boil. Lined shrimp in a broiler pan that fits toaster oven (our stove top works- oven is dead... gotta make due) and pour mixture to cover shrimp. After 20 minutes at 350°, plate shrimp and spoon reduced mix on top.
100_3612.jpg

East-Texas Coonass Cocktail Sauce (made with my homemade Bhuts Hot Sauce)
A poor ol' Cajun's solution to whens dey ain't got no Cocktail Sauce...
Mix ketchup, yellow mustard, lemon joice, black pepper, hot sauce, and garlic powder in a bowl... an' dat be it fo' sho'.

Thanks dude... figured it was time I made up for the Habanero Cheese and Apple Pie fiasco from a few months back. :)

Aw man! COACH set a plate for the kings to be Joyful over, fo'sho'!

Wonderful cookery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back