• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! BBQ Triple Play Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
post-883-0-27288300-1370805091_thumb.jpg

wink wink!!!

JayT said:
Chicken Satay with peanut dipping sauce:
Ingredients

Chicken breast tenders (you could use thin sliced thigh meat as well) marinated in:
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce
Ginger
Garlic
Green Onion
Rice Vinegar
Coriander
Cumin
Tumeric
Sriracha

I marinated these over night and then skewered them with bamboo skewers.  I smoked these over apple wood.  The peanut dipping sauce is peanut butter, fish sauce, soy sauce, Sriracha, garlic, and ginger.

attachicon.gif
101_0007.JPG

I had to come back and check this out ... and then I wrote PB on our shopping list ...

loving this entry, dude ...

grantmichaels said:

I had to come back and check this out ... and then I wrote PB on our shopping list ...

loving this entry, dude ...

Not an entry bud.  Definitely some good eats, but I totally blew it.  Didn't read the rules close enough.  I read them three times, but it didn't register.  Oh well, you win some you lose some.  Good news is that I had a great day smoking meat, and have leftovers for days!

LB gonna blow this sheet up!

JayT said:
Good news is that I had a great day smoking meat, and have leftovers for days!
That sir is the key. I waited to do my first TD for one I thought I could win. I'm should start entering those I know I'll lose (read, every one) in order to learn and have fun.

LunchBox's Low Carb Health Food

Nothing here is outside the box...creative, or froo-froo.  This is MAN FOOD...and when challenged to make a meal on the smoker, I have to call upon my inner caveman, and get it done MAN STYLE.

So...here's my low carb health food:

We start with a small 10# packer brisket, and trim any fat over about 1/4 to 1/2" thickness. 

The rub is a home made blend of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, brown sugar, sea salt, white pepper, fine black pepper, cracked black pepper, California sweet paprika, Hungarian paprika, sweet red chili powder, black chili powder, chipotle powder, naga morich powder, and black naga powder. Celery salt is also added to the beef rub separately, which is explained later.

The marinade is a mix of water, soy sauce, the rub detailed above, a little apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, EVOO, and a pinch of sage.

Brisket gets trimmed, then in an aluminum pan in the marinade.  Set it lean side down for a second, flip it over, and apply the rub now that the lean side is wet.  Let it soak fat side down for an hour at room temperature, then flip it.  Generously apply the rub to the top, fat side, and cover overnight.

I smoked mine via inderect heat using a smoker with a firebox.  Pack the firebox with charcoal, and selected wood.  I'm partial to mesquite, so I used mespquite charcoal mixed with mesquite chips, and oak logs.  Light it, and let it burn for 15-30 minutes.  Take the brisket out, and lay lean side down with the thickest portion nearest the firebox.  ***At this time, lay the pork ribs in the marinade meat-down...no rub on either side.  Let the brisket smoke for 5 hours...tending to the fire, but trying not to open the smoker section.  After 5 hours or so, take it out, and put it back in the marinade pan lean side down.  Take the pork ribs out of the marinade pan, and rub the above mixture, less the celery salt.  celery salt adds a "twang" to pork that is best left out.  So now you have the ribs on the grill, as close to the firebox as possible, with the thickest side facing the fire.  Add more wood and turn the fire to reinitiate smokage.  For the brisket, add a 1/4" of apple juice to the marinade, recover it with the foil in the marinade pan, and set it back on the grill, about 2" from the ribs...lean side down in the pan, and thickest side toward the firebox.  LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE FOR 4 HOURS.  After that time, the pork ribs can be mopped with a moppin' sauce, a thinned bbq sauce, marinade...whatever...but you reach a point with pork ribs that you want to lock in the remaining juices.  I use a home made ghost pepper bbq sauce, thinned with apple juice, and water.  I would encourage anyone NOT to use much if any vinegar on pork...it overpowers it quickly.  After your first mopping session, the brisket has been on for close to 10 hours...and keep in mind this is for a small 10# brisket, so cooking times will be longer with a bigger chunk of dead cow.  Open a vent on the brisket, and let it steam inside the smoker for 15 minutes or so.  Then, reseal, rewrap, and put it in the fridge to relax, and soak up the juices...for about 2 hours.  Over this time, you want to mop the ribs every hour...so do the math people...mop, wait an hour, mop, wait an hour, mop, then done...3 moppings in 2 hours.

Pull the brisket out of the coolerator, and slice...it will still be plenty warm.  The ribs however...I do not suggest tongs to get them off the grill, as they will fall apart when you lift them from the middle.  That's right, kiddies...the Box has to pick his ribs up with a spatula...long-ways.  To slice the ribs, you need a REALLY sharp knife...because they are so tender, the slightest dull will just smoosh the intercostal muscles, and butterfly them off the bone.  Serve ribs with the shit you like...make a brisket sammy with the shit you like...I prefer purple onion and pickled japs...do your thing.

The poppers...well I don't care much for smoked cheese...so I put them on the far end of the smoker for 15 minutes, then on to the grate right above the fire until blackening ocurs.  I stuffed them with a mix of mild cheddar and tiny diced onions.  Beyond that, if I have to explain how to make a bacon wrapped popper...you're doing it wrong.

All that deliciousness on a plate...dive in.

That is all.

Attachments

• td 6 13 pic 1-001.jpg
    td 6 13 pic 1-001.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 95
  • td 6 13 pic 2-001.jpg
    td 6 13 pic 2-001.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 69
  • td 6 13 pic 3-001.jpg
    td 6 13 pic 3-001.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 76
  • td 6 13 td pic4-001.jpg
    td 6 13 td pic4-001.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 79
This ends tonight at 9 PM EDT plenty of time to fire up the smoker and enter!

today as in monday? I went fishing with my dad yesterday and time got away from us... catching some fertilizer was more important.

I'll post on here next weekend for squats and giggles. Deadlines be damned. JayT's chicken looks DAMN good... I wish I could see all of the other pics, because I'm sure there are some drool inducers on here. But alas, my work computer is funny and pictures rarely show up :confused:. This has me jonesing to fire up the smoker before the sun comes up Saturday! Gonna be a busy day of preparation Friday!

AH! I can see lunchbox's pics now! brisket, ribs, and some hella cheesy looking poppers! Oh MAN!!!!

Yes it is still open. It has had the same deadline from the start. Tonight at 9 EDT.

ohh jesus 

totally missed that

i have a beer bottle sharing event i just committed to at 6pm since i thought it was over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back