• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! BBQ Triple Play Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks good!

hazarding a guess that the big jar is the ranch dressing you mentioned..?

wonder whats in that bag..

oh, limes are like 10/1$ down here. lol. dont know if thats how it is everywhere.

Cheaper, actually. 
10 limes for 99 cents. :)
I bought 20. Probably make up some limeade for the kids when they get out of the pool.

Yes, that jar is the aforementioned Ranch, which will play a part later. 

Puerco Pibil, kind of. A bbq version, of sorts. 
The influence is definitely there...

Stay tuned my friends! 

I'm using pork tenderloin, very lean. 
It was marinated overnight in a pineapple mojo. 
Topped with achiote sauce.
Wrapped in a banana leaf to keep moist (don't worry, the smoke will still get in!)

Now these are some serious mother-honkin banana leaves!!!

JayT's Asian BBQ

Kalbi (Korean style pork ribs), Chicken Satay with peanut dipping sauce, Thai Chipotle wings, and Asian style baked beans and slaw on the side.

Kalbi Ingredients:

Country style pork ribs marinated in:
Dark Sesame Oil
Soy Sauce
Rice Vinegar
Ginger
Garlic
Brown Sugar
Korean Chile Powder

I marinated the ribs for two days, then smoked over cherry and wine barrel chips.  After about three hours I began basting with the boiled and reduced marinade which I thickened up with a corn starch slurry to create a glaze.

101_0003.JPG

Chicken Satay with peanut dipping sauce:
Ingredients

Chicken breast tenders (you could use thin sliced thigh meat as well) marinated in:
Soy Sauce
Fish Sauce
Ginger
Garlic
Green Onion
Rice Vinegar
Coriander
Cumin
Tumeric
Sriracha

I marinated these over night and then skewered them with bamboo skewers.  I smoked these over apple wood.  The peanut dipping sauce is peanut butter, fish sauce, soy sauce, Sriracha, garlic, and ginger.

101_0007.JPG

Thai Chipotle Wings:
Ingredients:
Cut chicken wings marinated in a chipotle lime with Thai seasoning marinade.  The wings were smoked over cherry and wine barrel chips.  I glazed them with Mae Ploy Thai sweet chile sauce and sprinkled them with wasabi sesame seeds.

101_0002.JPG

The sides were fun.  For the Asian style beans, I began by smoking a venison roast and sausage link (again over cherry and wine barrel chips).  I then whipped up an Asian style sauce including ginger garlic, hoisin, sweet sauce, Sriracha, Thai chile powder, and soy sauce.  I sauteed onions and serrano peppers in a little olive oil.  I used three types of beans, black, small red, and Cannellini.  Mixed in the sauteed veggies, the chopped up roast meat, the sausage, and the sauce and let it go in the crock pot for six hours.  The Asian slaw is green and red cabbages, carrots, little broccoli flourets, yellow bell pepper, green onion and serrano chile.  The dressing is olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, Mirin, garlic, ginger, Sriracha, and natural peanut butter.  I also topped it with a little chow mein noodles for extra crunch.

101_0010.JPG

Yum yum.  These are my favorite Asian style BBQ treats.  I hope you like them as much as me.

The Hot Pepper said:
The players are:
Beef
Pork
Non-meat
(I hesitate to use the word vegetarian here, I don't want to scare anyone off, so we shall use Non-meat, meaning, no animal flesh. Veg, fruit, cheese, eggs, you get the picture. Not mandatory, so stop freaking out.)

All smoked - on one plate. You can mix-n-match the above 3 HOWEVER you want! Just pick 3 even if they are the same. Yes, this means you can do 3 beef, or 3 pork, or 3 veg, or 2 beef and 1 pork, or 2 pork and 1 beef, or 1 beef, 1 pork, 1 veg... YOU GET IT!

I can't believe Jay didn't research. So we have one entry and one ineligible entry. Bring it FD and Sum!

texas blues said:
Thought I spied a botella of some Costco Tequila in Fitty's post.

Nice.

You did!!!! Highly recommended!!! 
100% agave. Best liquor bang for the buck I've found. 

Heres the banana leaf pork wrap on the smoke. 
Along with the jerk beef ribs.
Coco bread is rising. Going in the oven in about 45

Took this about an hour ago. Those banana leaves are about to crackle apart due to awesomeness (which is the plan)
Wait till you see what my 3rd offering is!!!

Please work...Please work...!!!!

:cry: for JayT's meal......dayyyummm Dude!  that bites-

KbrdKid's is nice.  FryDaddys rockin the pork....

My crazy ass just Smoked Jicama!!!!
(Don't worry, Imma do somethin with it!)

Peeled, packed on ice, placed on the grill.
Smoke that bitch until the ice melts. Dump the water (melted ice), repack and do it again!!!
Take off and chill immediately!

Here's the update. 
Used a lot of ingredients. Gonna be tough to recount on my final post. 
Here are the rest of my prep pics. 

Banana leaf pork and coco bread. The pork was attacked by the meat slicer shortly after this shot.

Smoked Jicama Fruit Salad (with fresh pineapple, watermelon, serrano, basil, lime juice and simple syrup...frozen)

Achiote smoked pork sandwich on coco bread with pineapple slaw

Final Coming Soon

The Hot Pepper said:
Because of the shitty weather, this ends Monday at 9 PM EDT! So plenty of time to smoke!

Just a reminder this one has a longer deadline. Because of weather and also how long smokes can be. 

Frydad's Playtime with Unique Ingredients - 3-some style.

First of all. Go to the grocery store, in the soda aisle. By the "ethnic" or "weird" sodas, look for the word "Colita" or "Kolita". It might be red.
Buy it.
Add rum.

This TD was a challenge because I didn't want to just do traditional barbeque. I'd lose. 

So here's what I did. 

Pork Tenderloin. Marinated overnight in a pineapple mojo I created, with pineapple juice, garlic, parsley, and Goya brand Bitter Orange Salt.
The next day, I made achiote sauce (blended anatto seeds, lime, cumin, habanero, serrano, clove, salt, garlic, tequila, uhhhh....shit...a bunch of other stuff...if you really need to know, you can find it online)
Today I covered the tenderloin in the achiote sauce and wrapped it in a banana leaf. Put it on the smoke for 4 hours pretty low. 

Beef Ribs. I love beef ribs. The good ones are cut off the prime rib, and then sold cheap. 
I used jerk sauce, which I always add more habanero, soy sauce, and lime juice to. 
Smoked on the back part of the grill for about 2.5 hours. Good and low. These were tremendous!
Served with homemade ranch dressing.

Smoked Jicama. I wanted to do something crazy, and this was it. I bought a jicama, peeled it, put it in a bowl of ice, and smoked it.
It didn't cook...but it took on the smoke flavor. Shredded on the cheese shredder, tossed with:
Fresh pineapple and watermelon, basil, serrano, simple syrup. Placed in the freezer. Served by the ice-cream scoop.

Coco Bread...This is a TD staple for me. It is one of my favorite breads of all time, and it goes so well with pulled/sliced pork.
PM me for the recipe. Or just look one up (but I fold mine twice to make a triangle, instead of a half-circle)

Sliced the pork on the meat slicer, topped with a simple slaw, with added fresh pineapple, on the coco bread.

And the Colita and Rum....No Mercy!

Jerk Beef Ribs. 
Great bark. They look black, but its mostly the jerk seasoning. The ribs were perfectly tender! I'll smoke em like that again!

Werd.

Of course, I like JayT's here ... that's totally what I'm talkin aboooot ...

FD's making stuff I've ever eaten, so I'm kind of lost on parts of it ... go on w/ ya bad self, though, and I'm curious about that bread senor - looks like it would take a pork belly nicely?!??

Props to KKid for coming right out the gate loud and proud w/ a veggie version ...

We bought Boar's Head blackened turkey (incredible, btw) and some smoked gruyere and have been putting away NJ Sloppy Joe's on fresh marbled rye w/ ~1k island and 'slaw for days - and cooking soap instead of food ...

Can't wait to see the late entries ...

frydad4 said:
First of all. Go to the grocery store, in the soda aisle. By the "ethnic" or "weird" sodas, look for the word "Colita" or "Kolita". It might be red.
Buy it.
Add rum.

That's called a Ghetto Hurricane.

Nice work there. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back