• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Round 2 - Veggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh - looks good but onion rings should be considered a side dish. I love 'em, but don't like them on things. They should be dipped and savored, not burried into a veggie burger. One dude's opinion. :dunno:

Inside & Out - The Hamburger Rebellion

Chick Peas
Black Beans
Italian Whole Grain Bread Crumbs
Fresh Hand Spun Mozzarella
Cilantro
Eggs
Roma Tomatoes
Sweet Corn on The Cob
Avocado
Vidalia Onion
Shallots
Pablano
Manzeno Peppers
Habanero
Melrose Peppers
Gypsy Pepper
Lemon
Lime
Fresh Rosemary and Thyme
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia Powder

This is my inside out twist on a vegetarian burger. I've taken the burger and cut it in half...now it's the bun! Stuffed with awesome grilled peppers and veggies topped with a savory oregano aioli that pops off the burger.

The Burger.....er...bun.....er burger.

I used dried garbanzo beans and black beans. Tossed in with some sweet corn grilled to perfection, fresh Thyme and Rosemary (just enough to compliment the lemon/lime zest) Some salt, pepper, fresh Garlic, Shallots, cilantro, whole grain bread crumbs and Chocolate Bhut Jolokia powder. Sweet and savory flavors that work so well together...and they get along nicely with the acidity of the lemon and lime. After forming the patties, I dropped them into some hot olive oil that had a twist of balsamic vinegar in with it. So good together.

I stuffed this bad boy with tons of amazingness. Grilled EVERYTHING! God I forgot how crazy awesome the smell and flavor of grilled vegetables are.....WOW! I grilled everything up until I had just the right amount of charred goodness and onto the burger it went!

I topped off the burger with some soft fresh mozzarella and the tangy aioli. DIG IN! Look to the "Build a Better Burger" Pics for how Chi-Town Veggie is done!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM
IMG_2721.jpg

IT WAS CHAR-VEG-GOO-TASTIC
IMG_2722.jpg

That's the way I like my Skins! Let them char up baby!

The Scovie Burger

Chocolate Sauce:
4 squares from Lindt dark chocolate bar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
dash of salt
cinnamon
douglah chile powder
chipotle chile powder
Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.

Cream Puff Pastry:
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
dash of salt
4 eggs
cinnamon
chipotle chile powder
ground mace
Preheat oven to 400F. In a saucepan, bring butter, water and salt to a boil. Add the dry ingredients all at once and stir vigorously. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each. Make puffs the size and shape desired on a greased pan, then bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. If working in multiple batches, cover unused dough between batches.

Burger patty:
butternut squash
pistachios
coconut powder
egg
douglah chile powder
chipotle chile powder
cinnamon
allspice
mace
clove
brown sugar
ginger syrup
Shred the squash and chop the pistachios. Add all other ingredients, combine, and form into patties. Heat coconut oil in cast iron, then grill patties in it.

Assembly:
Slice cream puff pastry. Layer burger, pistachio ice cream (I used Ben & Jerry's), and chocolate sauce on the bottom slice, then add sliced strawberries.

P1010027.JPG

P1010028.JPG

It tasted very much like an over-the-top spicy pumpkin pie - YUM!

Some gratuitous prep pics:

Shredded butternut squash, chopped pistachios, seasonings
P1010020.JPG

Add some coconut powder
P1010021.JPG

This was actually my first patty, which I decided was definitely experimental....
P1010023.JPG

Second was PERFECT!
P1010024.JPG

Slab o' Ben & Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio ice cream
P1010025.JPG

Chocolate sauce and strawberries on top:
P1010026.JPG

O MY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back