• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Showdown Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackened Lionfish Surf and Turf Burger with Roasted Garlic Aioli and Sriracha Mayo

[SIZE=medium]As has already been pointed out, Lionfish is an invasive species. I had never eaten Lionfish before, so I was curious to see what I would get. As it turns out, I don't see a huge amount of difference between Lionfish taste and regular fish taste. I think the real issue with Lionfish is that they are poisonous- so you have to deal with that first before you can eat them I would say. Thus, perhaps home fisherman don't want to tangle with them. But it is an invasive species, and probably should be eaten as much as possible if you know how to fillet it right. I didn't, so the Fishmongers did it for me. Anyway, this is basically just a 85/15 burger on homemade buns with a Roasted Garlic Aioli and Sriracha Mayo. The Lionfish was blackened with a Creole Seasoning that started with oregano, subtracted the salt, and went from there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Paprika[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dry mustard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]garlic powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]onion powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]oregano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh whole garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]extra virgin olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lemon juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]grated parmesan cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]dijon mustard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]organic worcestershire sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh parsley[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]eggs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]whole fresh garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]organic mayonnaise [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sriracha [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canola oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sesame seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]milk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Lionfish fillets[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]85/15 Grass fed beef[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make hamburger buns:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Heat oven to 425 degrees.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           In a saucepan, heat water with a food thermometer to exactly 115 degrees.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           In a bowl, whisk water and 2 tablespoons yeast well. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Add 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/3 canola oil. Mix well, and let stand five minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           In a large bowl, beat one egg lighty. Add 3/12 cups All Purpose flour and whisk in 1 teaspoon salt. Do this before you add in the yeast water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Pour yeast water into flour mixture and stir to combine.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Flour a countertop and turn dough out onto it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8.           Knead dough for 10 minutes using a top down motion.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.           Using kitchen scissors, cut the dough into twelve or so pieces. Depending on how big you want your buns you may want bigger or smaller pieces.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]10.         Grease two cookie sheets with cooking spray, and form the dough clippings into round balls. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]11.         Spread them out on the cookie sheets and cover with towels for 10 minutes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]12.         in a bowl, mix one egg yolk and two tablespoons milk.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]13.         Lightly dollop small amounts of this on top of the dough balls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]14.         Cook buns for 13 minutes. Remove and let cool.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make roasted garlic aioli:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Lay a piece of aluminum foil onto . Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Take two whole unpeeled heads of garlic (yes roots and all.) Lob off the tops horizontally so that as many cloves as possible are exposed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Pour a tablespoon of olive oil over each clove and sprinkle with salt and pepper.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Wrap the aluminum foil tightly and then bake packet in oven for 45 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           When done, let packet cool by opening, and then squeeze garlic cloves out of peels into a bowl. Pick out any residual peels, and set aside. Discard the peels. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           In a blender, combine: 1 cup mayonnaise, a bit of cayenne pepper, roasted garlic pieces, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons grated parmesan, 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard, a bit of Worcestershire sauce, and some salt and pepper. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.           Blend to yogurt consistency. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Blackened Lionfish:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Mix up a creole seasoning. Add oregano instead of thyme. Omit the salt. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           In a 13x9 inch pan, pour 1/3 cup melted butter. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Coat your lionfish fillets with melted butter, and then place them on a plate one at a time.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Sprinkle Creole seasoning over them, and rub in the spice on both sides. Repeat for all Lionfish fillets.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Heat a Cast iron pan up on high heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Cook fish two minutes plus on a side. Flip fish over. Cook another two minutes. Remove from heat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make burger:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Start with barely handled 85/15 grass fed beef. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Shape into a patty using a knife, then cook on medium/medium high heat for four minutes on a side. Close the grill lid and open periodically to make sure the burger doesn't burn.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Depending on the thickness of the burger this make take longer. Use your best judgment.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Make a small cut to check for doneness and then remove from heat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Sriracha mayo:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Add 1/2 cup mayonnaise to a bowl. Add one tablespoon Sriracha mayo and a bit of sea salt. Stir to combine.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To assemble burger.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Slice a home-made hamburger bun in half.  Coat bottom with Sriracha mayonnaise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.           Place cooked burger patty on top of mayo.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.           Top with Blackened Lionfish.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.           Top with Roasted Garlic Aioli Sauce. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.           Top with bun.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.           Enjoy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

Bums? Damm you!

I told you it's my birthday weekend and all I wanted to do was drink, get another tattoo and win this thing. But NOOOOOOOO, you give me "non bun,... buns".

Now I not only have to actually think, I gotta get all creative n'sheeeit. But before any of that can happen, I got to get off the couch and get to Hank's.

How long do I have, anyway? :rofl:

FML.....ok time to cook another way

Attachments

• 20160605_152540.jpg
    20160605_152540.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 40
You can't DIPSY your way out of this one!

Scoville DeVille said:
Bums? Damm you!

I told you it's my birthday weekend and all I wanted to do was drink, get another tattoo and win this thing. But NOOOOOOOO, you give me "non bun,... buns".

Now I not only have to actually think, I gotta get all creative n'sheeeit. But before any of that can happen, I got to get off the couch and get to Hank's.

How long do I have, anyway? :rofl:

11:59 PM EDT

Resorting to cooking like i did in college, assorted hot plates and an electric griddle lol

Nah i got plenty of time. At least i got the buns done last night before the stove took a shit. No sun here so a quick make shift solar oven wouldnt even help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back