• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Cheesy Weekend II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I got your back, bro.

Enchiladas de Queso con Pintos Refritos, Arroz y Ensalada

FoJi8Xt.jpg

-Refried beans

-Clean and sort 2c. pintos in water
-Add about a quart of water and bring to a boil
-Kill heat and let it sit overnight
-Bring to boil and simmer for a few hours
-Once soft, mash beans and continue to head until thickish
-Salt to taste 
-Wait until your wife isn't looking and add a lot of bacon grease
-Heat a CI griddle or skillet and add more bacon grease (for you, GM and stettoman)
wvpUl0q.jpg

-Spackle on a nice layer of beans and fry until crisp around the edges
qlABajs.jpg

-Rice

-Heat about 2T. olive oil in a saucepan
-Add 2 diced jalapeños, 2 diced Peru Bitdumis and about 3T diced onion
-When this ^ is getting brown and translucent, add about 2 cloves minced garlic and cook for about 30 sec.
kiuVKo5.jpg

-Add 2 c. chicken broth and bring to a rolling boil
-Add 1 c. long grain rice and return to boil
-Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, covered
-Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes and fluff

-Enchilada sauce

-Heat 1/4 c. oil in a saucepan
-Add 4T flour and cook for a few minutes
-Add 1/2 c. Hatch flakes/powder and cook for a few more minutes
-Add 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce and 2 c. chicken broth
-Add 1T each of: ground cumin, Mexican oregano and garlic powder and about 2T of dried, roasted De Arbol and goats weed powder
-Simmer until happy, salt to taste
 (Thanks, Scovie!  :D  )

-"Tortillas"

-Whisk together: 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. cornmeal, 3 eggs, 3/4 t salt, 1.5c milk
-When smooth, whisk in: 1/2 c. water and 2/3 c melted unsalted butter
-Let batter sit for an hour or so
-Heat a CI or SS crepe pan on med. heat
-Pour in about 3T batter and rotate pan to distribute batter
-Flip "tortilla" and brown reverse side
KKut4tc.jpg

-Cool and stack until it's time to use them

-Enchiladas

-Spoon enough sauce into a glass baking dish to cover the bottom ~1/2"
-Into each "tortilla", add: one roasted, peeled New Mexico type pepper, about 1/4 c shredded Monterrey jack cheese and about 1T diced yellow onion
uj0vFDY.jpg

-roll up and pack in baking dish on top of sauce
3MAVT8H.jpg

-when pan is full, cover with shredded Manchego cheese
-cover with sauce
-cover with more cheese!
-Bake at about 350F for maybe 30-40 minutes until bubbly and melty and the surface cheese is just starting to brown
TJQKihn.jpg

-allow enchiladas to cool for about 15-20 minutes 

Garnish enchiladas with chopped cilantro, diced onion and diced Peru Bitdumi pepper. Serve refried beans with a generous pile of grated cotija on top  Add a side salad of shredded iceberg lettuce garnished with avocado, tomato, fresh jalapeño, sour cream and good handful of grated cotija. Thow some of that Mexican rice on the plate and you're good to go!  :dance:
IuX6IMW.jpg

Cheaz shot!
zbA1COu.jpg

I love cheese enchiladas, but sometimes the cheese is just too rich if there isn't something else going on to cut it. Fire roasted Joe E. Parkers and bit of yellow onion worked really well with the melty, gooeyness of the monterrey jack enchiladas. Scovie's red sauce was the perfect counterpoint to a cheesy dish like this and the crepe "tortillas" were delicate, but certainly held their own with a wonderful brown, crispy corn flavor. That's how my family has been making tortillas for enchiladas since I was a kid and they worked deliciously here!
     Refried beans with a good heaping of cotija and some Mexican rice were no brainers for sides. I wanted to keep this meal consistent with what one might find at good quality American-Mexican restaurant, so those and the simple shredded lettuce salad were a familiar touch that helped showcase the enchilada main event. 
     The fresh pepper, onion, avocado, tomato and cilantro garnishes added a whole other dimension to the salty, savory and cheesy flavors of the meal. 

Thanks for looking everybody and good luck to all Thowers Down! I had a blast, I'm exhausted and I intend to start seriously drinking now that I'm full and can kick back, relax and watch the rest of the cheesy deliciousness unfold! :clap:
Marry me. I'll kill my wife, I don't care. Marry me. Make me fat and greaze-dependant, marry me, you-you-you grease pusher!!!!!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

My wife happened to be watching when I read that ^. Her first reaction was to laugh, then she just said "Gross." 
     Honestly I don't know what to make of it either. But thanks! I know a compliment when I see one!  :party:
HA! I showed your enchiladas to MY wife and she says "Those are almost exACTLY your 'drowned burritos', you should marry that guy!!"

Your sig, really? I. Am. Honored.

grantmichaels said:
I thought I was doing you a favor and mentioning it so you could leave them off the poll, honestly ...

What if they were included without PoL in the poll? :shocked:

#VotingDrama

Nobody but you would have noticed or cared except maybe jhp, but who else would really care about it? Voting drama is so shortbus

Ashen said:
Nobody but you would have noticed or cared except maybe jhp, but who else would really care about it? Voting drama is so shortbus

That's so #TwoDaysAgo ...

Do you know Boss? ... because in my experience he doesn't pay attention to TD entries until he makes the poll, and then he's full-on Dan* ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back