• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Chopped - Fight for Independence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this may be the best smelling thing I've ever cooked. Final post coming soon.

cb204bc4.jpg

Rocketman’s All American Apple Smoked Pork and Cabbage

There is not better combination of flavors than Bourbon and Apples. Everywhere you look you’ll see them used together in some combination. So I combined them into an ole time favorite drawing on my time living in NW Pac territory and made some homemade Bourbon Apple Butter. My Gawd what a combination of flavors! Here’s how it all was done
Bourbon Apple Butter:
2 cups water
1 cup vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground Allspice

cut apples into quarters including the core and peel and place into deep pot and add water and vinegar. Simmer 20 minutes. Pour all into food processor and puree. Then into a sieve and press all of the pulp through. Add Bourbon and spices and bring back to a simmer.. Reduce to a nice thick consistency about 2 hours. Makes a little over 3 pints of the tastiest spread ever.
Marinade 1:
1 Bottle RocketMans Dragons Blood
1 Bottle Newcastle Brown ale
½ Cup Jim Beam bourbon

Marinade 2:
2 Cups Bourbon Apple Butter
1 Bottle Newcastle Brown Ale
½ Cup Jim Beam Bourbon
Cut 5 Pound Pork Loin Roast in half and marinate 1 half in each Marinade overnight. The in the morning place into the smoker at 235 degrees F for 5 hours. Remove Pork from smoker and smother with Bourbon Apple Butter and place into oven at 170 for another hour.

Bourbon Apple Fried Cabbage
1 Stick Butter
2Tbs Sugar
2 Jiggers Bourbon
1 medium Cabbage, Shredded
1 large Apple, Sliced
4 nice Jalapenos, Julienned
Heat the CI up and add Butter, sugar and Bourbon. When sugar has dissolved add Jalapeno, Cabbage and apples cooking till all are tender and soft. Add a pinch of salt or 2 before plating.

Peanut Butter Bourbon Apple Butter Sauce
3 Tbs Peanut Butter
2/3 cup Bourbon Apple Butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
Combine all ingredients into a small sauce pot and simmer till nice and about medium thick.

dabaafe7.jpg

a22b9852.jpg

Note: No Black Pepper was harmed during the preperation of this meal and DANGGGGGG was it good! Thanks boss, this was a fun one.

The Fattie For Independence!

This turned out so much better than I give myself credit for. Need to get this posted because the Bourbon soaked apples are creeping up quick.

Homemade PB BBQ sauce:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp ghost pepper salt
1 lemon juiced
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp butter

Bring all to a boil until PB dissolved. Lower heat and simmer 20 min.

For the fattie:

1 pound bacon
1 pound breakfast sausage

Make a bacon weave
Pound sausage into a square or thereabouts!
Dice your orange and red pepper, habs, and Serrano
Coat your sausage with homemade BBQ sauce(insert snide remarks here)
Put peppers and soaked bourbon apples on pork and sprinkle with cheese
Roll sausage into a log and place on top of bacon weave
Fold/Roll bacon weave over your sausage log ;)

Put the Fattie over indirect heat at about 275 for 2.5 hours. Baste with BBQ about every 35 minutes.

Take off the grill, wrap in foil for 15 min or so, slice, drizzle with some bourbon and apples and enjoy!!

f4bd2931.jpg

4bf869ce.jpg

Ingreds. Missing in this image is brown sugar and cayenne pepper.

P7090954.jpg

Some more process pics.

Butterscotch apple.

P7090958.jpg

Prosciutto and pistachio praline.

P7090969.jpg

decks wow,,,i mean wow!!!!!!!!! like super wow!

that would give me a heart attack with out a doubt but i would still eat a big chunk of it.

rocks that plate looks awesome!!

this whole throw down thang i might have to stop even looking at, its making me fat just looking at these awesome posts

Peanutbutterscotchapple

Base: Choc biscuits, unsalted butter and bourbon. Blitz and pack into mini springforms.

Butter scotch apple: Caramelised apple, nut brown unsalted butter, brown sugar. Cook, run through a sieve and set with gelatin.

Peanutbutter cream: Peanutbutter, white sugar, cream. Heat gently, whisk and set with gelatin.

Choc, chilli and Bourbon Ganache: Heat gently, mix and set.

Prosciutto annd Pistachio Praline: Oven bake prosciutto until crispy. Oven bake pistachio. Pour over caramel. Process in a blender until fine.

All the flavours worked amazingly well together. There wasn't a whole lot of the praline left towards assembly as I could't stop eating it. I'm going to make a huge batch of this.

P7100975.jpg

Super yum with a cup of coffee.

P7100977.jpg

LunchBox's Grillin' and Chillin'

When I thought about the "theme" of this throwdown...I wanted to stick with Americana...a classic...BBQ! So I thought traditional Texas BBQ, with a gourmet twist. I hope you like looking at this as much as I enjoyed creating, and consuming it.

Baked Beans: Render bacon...add half a yellow onion, an half a purple onion...some garlic...when they start to carmelize...then home grown tomatoes...Stew that down for a few minutes...then add the bourbon...mix well...then time for some brown sugar, salt pepper, and molasses. Then for the money...home made apple-honey bourbon peanutbutter...and Texas Creek Smoked Hab/Pear sauce. Add some skinned red apples, and the beans...cook in cast iron/dutch oven in the firebox of the smoker...it allows the slightest amount of smoke to get in.

Honey-Bourbon Apple Peanut Butter: Honey roasted peanuts, peanut oil, red apple slices, Wild Turkey "Honey Bourbon". Mix in food processor for a couple of minutes until reasonably smooth.

Apple Sauce: Apples, lemon juice, peanut butter, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, a datil (Thanks Chewi), honey-bourbon, cinnamon...boil in a covered container, after about 20 minutes, add Texas Creek Pear/Hab sauce. Mash up...then put in blender with more bourbon, and puree.

BBQ Sauce: it was a home made ghost pepper sauce...really smokey and sweet...but you can use a store brand...the BBQ sauce wasn't really the point.

Ribs and Pork Shoulder: Rubbed with a mix of salt, black and white pepper, black chili powder, paprika, cayenne, smoked naga powder, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, sage, and thyme. Both smoked with hickory, mesquite, and pecan wood...the "Texas-Trio" of smoking woods.

Ribs were smoked open for 4 hours, foil bagged for the last 2. Served with BBQ sauce and honey bourbon apple sauce.

Pork Shoulder was smoked open for 4 hours, foil bagged for the last 2 as well, brought in, and pulled. All meat and juices from the foil bag tossed in the freshly cleaned and de-beaned cast iron, and mixed with some water, BBQ sauce, and honey bourbon apple sauce. They were served on buns with sliced purple onion, and pickled jalapenos.

A small reserve amount of both sauces in the corner of the plate for grubbage...with a little bit of bacon added to the apple sauce when served, and garnished with fresh mint. I tossed a little more bacon on the beans too...because...it's bacon.

10 outta 10.

julytdplate1-001.jpg

julytdplate2-001.jpg

I think I need to change my bib

LDHS is right - WOW

DTS - Double WOW, and it looks really well done too!

Oh, and if you haven't tried a Jim and Ginger, well, that needs to be on everyones bucket list. I didn't beileve in it either till my Step Father made me one. A match made in heaven!

Things went mangos... then this happened...

Meat pounding

IMG_4945.jpg

Setting $#!+ on fire.

IMG_4985.jpg

Playing with my food.

IMG_4948.jpg

Stabbing things with a blunt object.

IMG_4988.jpg

Drinking hhhhwhiskey whislt grilling.

IMG_4991.jpg

Yeah, it was one of those kinda days.

Status