• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfest: BYOB Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that's some good looking food you all got going on there! I'm inviting Scovi and Seacowboy over to my place to watch the Dallas game today with all their goods! I'll supply the beer. Bring the wife Seacowboy, I have an extra Dallas Cheerleader uniform laying around here somewhere.

Mitternacht Eintopfgericht in der schüssel brot

The Dough
  • 1250g flour
  • 750ml water
  • 25g dry yeast
  • 1 cup of olive oil
  • bhut jolokia flakes to the taste.  I do not have a precise quantity I went just by eye. It's not going to be terribly hot unless you intend to eat the whole bread (4 pounds! of bread)

Because of the size of this dough, I divided quantities of flour, water, yeast, and oil and I used two bowls for initial kneading.
Then I joined the two parties for the final knead.

Now the thing with the beer, there two ways I do this, I either substitute water and yeast for beer or I just replace some of the water with beer.
Beer has to be slightly warm or the dough won't rise very well.
Also low alcohol beer is preferable, I wasn't able to attain good result with strong beers and I think it makes bread taste awful.

Mix the yeast in warm water/beer let it rest for 10 mins.
Put in the flour and the olive oil.
Mix everything for a bit then add bhut flakes.
Start kneading, fisting, fingering anything goes. Don't forget the gloves!
Knead till the dough has the perfect consistency and become a bit elastic.

Let it rest for half an hour.

Heat the oven at 300ºF, cook for 45 mins.
I used a large cast iron pot after unscrewing plastic handles.

After it's done and has cooled down for a bit, take the bread out of the pot.
Let it completely cool and cut of the top.
With a spoon start chisel the core of the bread in order to obtain a bowl, this will be our schüssel brot.
Keep it 1cm thick, you can probably thinner than that with a smaller bowl, keep in mind you can eat the walls of bowl with the stew.

The Stew

• 1 pound of smoked country ham
  • 300g red beans
  • 3 grilled sausages
  • 2 onions
  • 200ml tomato juice
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 tsp of flour
  • 1-2 dried hot peppers of choice (I went for dried chocolate hab)
  • salt & pepper to the taste

This stew recipe is based on a variation of Mitternachtssuppe.

A little history first, Miternachtssouppe was seved at all-night German balls or on new year's holiday.
The high content of proteins and carbs was designed go give a boost to the system and lot of fats to slow down the absorption of alcohol.
Nowadays Miternachtssouppe ingredients varies widely, it is served everywhere, in all contexts.

There is no better place for proteins, carbs and fats than right at Oktoberfest.

Heat up a pot with water and add 1-2 cubes of broth.
Put the in beans and boil them, usually this is a very long process.
I've pre-soaked mine to speed things up still it will take a couple of hours to be done.

Boil the smoked ham in another (large) pot.
It will probably be ready in time with the beans.
Take the ham and put it aside.

In a fry pan put a tbsp of olive oil, add 1 minced onion.
Sauté for 5 mins add 1 tablespoon of flour, mix and sauté for another minute.

Soon as the beans are done, add in the fry pan content the dried hot pepper and tomato juice.
Simmer for 5 or 10 minutes.

Cut the ham into larger pieces.

Pour the stew into the schüssel brot, add the large pieces of ham.
Grill sausages, slice them in half - use them to decorate the sew.
Take 1 onion and slice into strips add it on top of the stew.
Cheers!

okt12.jpg

okt13.jpg

okt14.jpg

beer.gif

okt16.jpg

SL3 said:
Man that's some good looking food you all got going on there! I'm inviting Scovi and Seacowboy over to my place to watch the Dallas game today with all their goods! I'll supply the beer. Bring the wife Seacowboy, I have an extra Dallas Cheerleader uniform laying around here somewhere.

get one for CJ, too.  Here's why~

Sheesh-o-Rama you guys are puttin' on quite a show!   

Keybrd, I like your teaser with chestnuts, baking soda, figs and twine. :lol: 

Ok just finished eating it. Time to start posting the teasers.

jSOHEPll.jpg

That's the sourdough sponge I set up last night.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4V2AoyUQEE[/media]

Bubble bubble bubble.

31deaRXl.jpg

Mixed and kneaded.

sOTxI2Al.jpg

Panned after punch down

COiWL9El.jpg

Leavened, Washed, and baked.

[SIZE=medium]Stuffed Pork Loin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]For this contest I decided to do a stuffed pork loin. I needed to incorporate something German, so I chose pretzels. I also chose Ginger beer to satisfy the beer component, since I only probably had a few options along that line. The pretzels were made from scratch, and the ginger beer was used as part of this process. The soft pretzels were torn, and used as part of the stuffing in the pork loin. The stuffing included pretzels, bread, figs, chestnuts, thyme, and other ingredients. After a conversation with one of my local butchers, I decided to use some uncured bacon on top of the pork loin after I twined it up. I believe this was to add flavor and possibly protect the meat a bit. After cooking was finished I discarded the bacon. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pork Loin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Uncured Bacon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]White bread[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canned chestnuts[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dried figs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]EV Olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh celery[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh thyme[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Chicken stock[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Eggs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Vegetable oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ginger beer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Scotch bonnet pepper flakes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make pretzels:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Heat some water to 110F using a food thermometer.  Add 1 ½ cups to a bowl. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]To same bowl, add 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 packet ADY. Allow bowl to sit for five minutes.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Transfer yeast mixture to a mixing bowl, and add 4 ½ cups flour. Add 2 tablespoons melted butter, and mix/knead dough for five minutes. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Add some vegetable oil to the bowl, and coal dough well.  Cover with saran wrap and let sit one hour.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]Preheat oven to 450F. [/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=medium]To a large sauce pan, add 9 cups water and 1 cup ginger beer. Preheat mixture on a low temperature until ready. **Note**. Coincidentally, I didn’t use the baking soda the way I thought I might. I ended up making two different batches of the pretzels, because I don’t trust more than one of my cookie sheets not to burn bread-type things on the bottom. That being said, I made the mistake of not adding the baking soda to the ginger beer on the first go-around. This may have been a good thing, because when I added the soda to the beer after the first batch, it caused a slight chemical reaction-I assume acid/base. The taste was noticeably different between the batches, but I deliberately avoided salting the first batch because I knew it would end up being stuffing later. The first batch tasted more pretzel-like (and probably wouldn’t have needed salting, and the second more breadstick like (didn’t seem over salty.)[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=medium]Remove saran wrap from dough, and punch down slightly. Flour counter surface, and turn dough out. [/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=medium]Using scissors, cut dough into strips. Roll dough out by hand to desired length, and twist into pretzel shape. [/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=medium]If you have an assistant handy, this might help here.  Heat the ginger beer/water mixture from earlier to boiling, and provide your assistant with a large flat heat-safe spatula/flipping device.[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=medium]Have one person carefully pick the pretzels one-by-one off of the countertop and place in boiling water for 30 seconds. Have the other person use the spatula to pick up the pretzels after finished, and then transfer them to a greased cookie sheet.[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=medium]Bake pretzels for 12-14 minutes at 450 F. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Pork Loin Stuffing:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Make one cup of chicken stock by adding a bouillon cube to a cup of water. Set stock aside until needed.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Slice up some dried figs, and canned chestnuts; add to a mixing bowl.  [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Crumble up about a 50/50 mixture of soft pretzels and white bread, and add to mixing bowl.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Slice up half an onion, and two stalks of celery. [/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]In a skillet, half heat two tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion and celery, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir as necessary. [/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=medium]Add the chicken stock to the same skillet, and then about a teaspoon of thyme leaves +/-.  [/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=medium]Pour this mixture into the mixing bow containing the bread. [/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=medium]Lightly beat two eggs, and add to bowl. Season with salt and/or pepper as desired.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=medium]Refrigerate stuffing until needed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To prepare pork loin:[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Preheat oven to 450 F.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Clean a cutting surface, and start with a pork loin. Using a sharp knife, make a diagonal cut along the length of the tapered side of the pork loin. Make similar incisions parallel to the cutting surface, until you have flattened out the pork loin as much as you are able.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Season both sides of loin with salt and pepper, and position the less fatty side on top.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Spread three cups of prepared stuffing on top of pork loin, and leave space along the edges. Roll pork toward you from farthest side, and then tie both ends with twine-moving in towards the middle as you go. Use about 3-4 twists in the twine.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]Slice about half an onion, and place in the bottom of a large metal oven safe pan. Place stuffed pork loin on top of onions.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=medium]Sprinkle some pepper flakes on top of pork loin as desired.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=medium]Drape slices of uncured bacon over top of pork loin, covering as much of the pork loin as possible.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=medium]Cover, and cook at 450F for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 325F for one and half hours.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=medium]Remove from heat, and slice pork loin as on desired. Cut off twine, and transfer slices to plate. Spoon pan drippings over pork loin, and season with salt/pepper as desired.[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=medium]Top pork loin with springs of thyme.[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=medium]Serve. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

Who dat? Key dat!

I love that you did something with the bread instead of use it as-is - got some creativity going there!

die Brezel Partei

[SIZE=13.5pt]Bavarian Pretzel Sticks/Rolls[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1 Package active dry yeast (2 tsp)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Warm water (1/8 Cup-105°f/30ml-40°c)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Warm water (1 1/3 Cup/315ml)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1/8 tsp salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1 Tbs Brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Flour (4 1/2 Cups/520 grams)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Baking Soda[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Pot of water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]2 Tbs Melted butter[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Dissolve yeast in 1/8-cup warm water and brown sugar. Stir in 1 1/3 cups warm water, add salt and flour. Knead dough until smooth and elastic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Heat oven to 400°f.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]In a saucepan, measure 2 tablespoons baking soda to each cup of water. Put enough water to fill the saucepan at least 3 inches high. Bring soda and water mixture to a light boil and set heat to simmer. Make sure the baking soda is well dissolved.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Cut the dough into pieces.  You can get eight pretzels with this recipe.  I did a double batch and did sticks, twists and sandwich rolls.  Place aside on lightly floured surface and let rise 10 minutes or so.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Place pretzels one at a time in water/baking soda for 10-15 seconds. I used a spider you would use for frying to drop the pretzel into the water.  Push down with utensil to ensure good coverage. Remove the pretzel from the bath (let drain a few seconds on the utensil) and place onto a pan lined with parchment paper.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Slit the fattest part of the pretzel lengthwise. Brush with melted butter.  Salt the top of pretzels with course ground sea salt/pretzel salt. Place cookie sheet with pretzels into the oven for 18-19 minutes or until pretzel is to desired darkness. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Warm Beer and Cheddar Dip w/Pretzel Sticks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]2 Tbs. unsalted butter [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]3 Tbs. all-purpose flour [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1/2 cup milk [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]3/4 cup beer [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]2 Tbs.stone ground mustard [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]12 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Purple ghost powder to taste.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and beer, increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the mustard and Worcestershire and cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes. 

Working in batches, add the cheese in large handfuls, whisking until each batch has completely melted before adding more. Season with salt and pepper.  Garnish with as much or as little chili powder as you wish.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]Beer Brat w/’Kraut, Fried Onions and Crumbled Bacon on Pretzel Roll[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1[/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]/8 tsp celery seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1/8 tsp caraway seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1 pound fresh bratwurst sausages[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1 beer [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1 tbs light brown sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]2 tbs course ground mustard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1/8 tsp ground black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8.5pt]·          [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]1 pound sauerkraut (preferably barrel[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8.5pt]·          [/SIZE][SIZE=11.5pt]Purple ghost powder to taste[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Place all ingredients except kraut in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Stir until brown sugar dissolves.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Uncover and raise heat to medium; boil the sauce until it reduces to a thick, syrupy liquid, about 20 minutes. Add kraut.  Let is simmer another few minutes so the kraut absorbs some liquid.  Slice a pretzel roll.  Place some kraut on the bottom, then a brat, then lots more kraut.  Garnish with crispy onions and crumbled bacon..[/SIZE]

Gettin' cheesy...

gallery_8228_122_47781.jpg

Come get some...

021_zps65d28983.jpg

Bubbling brew...

024_zps7a5386fc.jpg

More than a mouthful...

029_zpsa86e51e5.jpg

More than a mouthful... :)

gallery_8228_122_2132802.jpg

über Doppelschnitte

Bread:
 flour
 sourdough starter
 salt
 water
 butter

Kielbasa
Jalapenos
Fatali like hybrid
Cheddar(Someone ate my munster...)
Saurkraut(Home made)

Sauce:
 German mustard
 Sour cream
 prepared Horseradish

btxQq5sl.jpg

cFnO3t8l.jpg

zNggvy3l.jpg

C2cD0E6l.jpg

szUfmPcl.jpg

Damn got busy IRL. And had to rush my entry. Meaning I had to skip most of my teasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back