• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Old Salty's Chopped Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pork Belly Palooza

14o3r7t.jpg

This was a great throwdown!!  Pictured above we have slow roasted pork belly on a bed of smashed tots, white wine & garlic shrimp scampi, pork belly & shrimp Thai Khao Tom Goong soup with goldfish cracker dumplings, egg rolls made with cabbage, shrimp, pork belly and goldfish crackers and some pickle spears breaded with goldfish cracker dough.    

8z4ncx.jpg

Season the pork belly with a bit of pepper powder, sugar and salt.

vywm1j.jpg

Chopped belly for rendering.

10dfez5.jpg

Rendered.

1ot08y.jpg

For the soup add 4oz rendered pork belly with 3 tbsp onion & carrot & pickles, 1 tbsp garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil.

3092044.jpg

add 2 cups chicken stock, 2 cups cabbage and 1 dried pepper of your choice.

6h43gw.jpg

meanwhile mix 4oz goldfish crackers with 1 egg and 1 tbsp milk.

2r7bvc4.jpg

once mixed spoon into dumplings and reserve remainder.

sli93k.jpg

eggrolls are 4oz pork belly/shrimp, with one cup cabbage and a couple tbsp of onion and pickle.

2w4wx78.jpg

all mixed up

142exhc.jpg

and rolled

302nguf.jpg

fried sample. :)

156zou9.jpg

pickle dough

2w4iopj.jpg

24ee5br.jpg

money shots

rw03zr.jpg

2zp1535.jpg

bex508.jpg

30w78xs.jpg

Blue-Belly Baskets 

IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

Prepared Pork Belly-
Season, roast, slice into matchsticks, render down until crispy bits

Crescent Roll dough-
trim triangles and arrange in muffin tins, bake

Chocolate Bar- I used dark chocolate with coconut
melt in double boiler over hot water, add crushed pretzels, crispy pork bits, chile powder (I used Aji Pepper Blend from Volcanic Peppers), sprinkle out on wax paper or parchement paper, refrigerate for just a bit until set.

Filling of your choice-I used blueberry pie filling

Whip Cream or Dream Whip topping

Arrange crescent shells on a plate, add filling, a dollop of whip topping and chocolate/pork/pretzel/pepper.

Enjoy Immediately!

Cheers!

Pork Belly Prep-
Seasoned with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic
Roast on High 475F for about 20 minutes, then lower heat to 325F for 1.5 hours. Refrigerate overnight.  Cross cut, then matchstick cut the chilled pork belly, render on low until crispy. 
IMG_5226.JPG

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

Ingredients And Assembly for Dessert-
IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5260.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5264.JPG
    IMG_5264.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 107
SmokenFire is that one pic as an entry? Can everyone read how to post this one especially deconstructed ingreds, and presentation first, thanks! PS sorry if that's a WIP.

The Hot Pepper said:
PS sorry if that's a WIP.

All good boss.  I'll edit in the stuff as I get time the rest of tonight.  Wanted to get a good start before TWD. ;)

SmokenFire said:
Pork Belly Palooza

14o3r7t.jpg

This was a great throwdown!!  Pictured above we have slow roasted pork belly on a bed of smashed tots, white wine & garlic shrimp scampi, pork belly & shrimp Thai Khao Tom Goong soup with goldfish cracker dumplings, egg rolls made with cabbage, shrimp, pork belly and goldfish crackers and some pickle spears breaded with goldfish cracker dough.    
Like the eggrolls in particular.
frydad4 said:
this is crazy! 
Who knows how anything tastes, it all just looks like a lot of hard work!! 

Nice job!
That's what my wife always says, "If they could just taste it, you'd win most of the time." So you all just run down to the Lake of the Ozarks for some crazy Cajun/Creole fusion food. :)

Okay now I read SNF's wow yeah morw pica pleeeeze.

SmokenFire said:
Pork Belly Palooza

14o3r7t.jpg

8z4ncx.jpg

vywm1j.jpg

10dfez5.jpg

1ot08y.jpg

3092044.jpg

6h43gw.jpg

2r7bvc4.jpg

sli93k.jpg

2w4wx78.jpg

142exhc.jpg

302nguf.jpg

156zou9.jpg
Yes, more pictures is better. :)

Well done this was fun few hours left who is out there?

Oh, I'm out here. Far out here. Like way out in left field. Maybe not even in the stadium! You know, sometimes experiments turn out well, and sometimes they turn out less-well. Let's just say I'm scratching my head on this one a tad. The idea is good, the execution is somewhat less than spectacular. Ok, a LOT less than spectacular! :lol:

Still, I'll post what I can shortly, even if it's just for laughs!

And besides O.S., where is wheebz on this one? Mr. Tater Tot hisself is Marcie-ing, too?

Stuffed Shrimp Buns (Mantou)

Filling:

Sweet potato tater tots - thawed and mashed roughly
Sriracha pickle - chopped
Bok choy - roughly chopped, salted, let sit to extract liquid, then squeeze out
Jalapeno - chopped
Shrimp - chopped
Pork Belly - chopped and fried
Cheese crackers - crushed
Soy sauce
Ginger - chopped

Mantou:

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. yeast
1-1/3 cups very warm milk

Combine milk and yeast then stir in flour. Knead until thoroughly combined, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Cover and let rest 40 minutes. Knead again, then roll into log. Slice log in half then roll each half into smaller logs. Cut each half into roughly 7 pieces. Shape into flattened balls, then roll into rough circles. (Amoeba buns, anyone?) Place a portion of filling in each pancake of dough, then pinch the edges together to close.

To cook the filled mantou, if you have a steamer, place each on a square of steaming paper or parchment paper. Place into steamer, bring water to boil and steam for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let rest 5 minutes before removing from steamer. If you don’t have a steamer (and have a ghetto kitchen, like I do), place the buns into a greased 13x9 pan. Heat the oven to 350F and place another pan with boiling water into the lower rack. Place the pan with mantou into the top rack and bake until done. How long until "done"? Well, I cooked them for 20 minutes, checked, then decided to leave them in longer. Didn't set the timer, so your guess is as good as mine!

Teriyaki sauce:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. minced ginger
1/2 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon cold water

Combine cold water and cornstarch and set aside. in a saucepan on medium heat combine remaining ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Heat on medium high and add cornstarch mixture. Simmer until thickened.

To serve, drizzle teriyaki sauce over mantou.

P1020098.JPG

P1020102.JPG

P1020111.JPG

P1020112.JPG

P1020113.JPG

P1020114.JPG

P1020115.JPG

Filling combined:
P1020116b.jpg

Hey, if JayT can make amoeba pizza, I can make amoeba mantou!
P1020117.JPG

Before cooking:
P1020118.JPG

Teriyaki sauce:
P1020119.JPG

P1020120.JPG

P1020121.JPG

Actually, the flavor of these was spot-on, just the texture was lacking. Plus these came out way smaller than they should have been. Amongst other things I think it's time to toss my jar of yeast and get a new one. They were a little crusty on top, a little doughey on bottom, and not at all bread-like. These are supposed to be bread, not like potstickers. Next time I'll go with my original idea on cooking method, and not let the impatience of my helper influence me. But, admittedly, I was getting a bit impatient, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back