contest BEGIN! Pizza Rustica Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

For this TD:

This is the outdoor pizza challenge using no electricity for cooking.

Acceptable methods: Anything wood, gas*, charcoal, or solar heated/fired, in the outdoors. This includes direct and indirect cooking in or on any suitable appliance. (*No gas ovens, even if outdoors)

The pizza itself must follow the above, but the toppings may be precooked indoors using electricity etc. This is all about the pizza itself.

No par-baked crusts or par-baking the crust indoors or with electricity.

Just to make this even more fun, 2 entries per person allowed!!!!!!!!!!

This begins NOW and ends Monday at 10 pm EDT.

Proof of Life = .10

Best pizza wins! Be creative.

BEGIN!

I've not been able to do the last few TD's.....man this one sounds so good. I might have to find a way to get in on the action. I know there will be some crazy good pies entered. Hope you are getting in on this one boss. I'd like to see the genius that is your pizza. Good luck everyone.

So pumped, now 2 entries.... I'm still struggling with one idea, all good, more pizza the merrier, but I'm sure I'll sort something out. Might think outside the box

Ok, went to Walmart and broke down and bought a cheap-azz tiny charcoal grill for less than $10 on clearance. Guess it will be a good thing in case we have a power outtage before I manage to get a gas grill. BOOYA!

Dang it, wish my week end wasn't so busy. This is one of my favorite ways to cook. Wonder If I'll be able to squeeze it in.

UPDATE!!!!

I just received word from the NWCF.

A strange man with a handlebar mustache showed up at my house in olde timey military dress blues, riding a horse.
He handed me a wooden phone with a cord that stretched impossibly to the north-west. Must have been a direct link...

The gang is having a blast, all prepped with liquor and food. Ready to rock.
Sadly, however, the wi-fi they were promised in the Washington Wilderness is not as strong as they were led to believe.
In fact, the Washington Wilderness doesn't seem to have ANY wi-fi at all.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WORLD COMING TO???????
How is someone supposed to update their Facebook status to "Rustic" whilst camping when
THE f**kING WILDERNESS DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE f**kING INTERNET?????????

I digress. They are in on this. And probably drunken chef too. And probably something else, I don't know.
Scovie said he smelled bear already.

Don't expect any posts from those guys until LATE Sunday night or mid-day Monday.

I'm cookin tomorrow. Booya.

Wow...this gives me a chance to make my Lebanese pizza, AND try my idea for a jerk pizza all in the same weekend!

Dough in fridge this afternoon here, too, to be moved to the basement before I go to bed. Still gotta go to the stoh for the rest of the toppings.

This will be tasty!

Alright big shopping list for tomorrow, got the dough sorted, got the wood out of the weather, little wet here at the moment, start the fire nice and early tomorrow and throw some pies

PoL and a bowl full o' flour, water, olive oil, sea salt, yeast, and rosemary, just before giving it another stir then letting it rise again.

P1010201.JPG

I see I managed to miss chopping a rosemary leaf... will have to fish that out before making the pizza. Or not.
I am really liking these no-knead bread recipes - pretty much no fuss whatsoever. I got the book "Kneadlessly Simple", and recommend it if you're interested. Totally takes the daunt out of making yeast breads, and no bread machine is required since you're not kneading the dough (you're letting the yeast do all the work with these recipes.) Not that a bread machine is really required for kneaded dough, anyway.... :lol:

Wow G, that dough looks really loose.
Looks like it would make for a very wet pizza dough.
Actually, I made pizza with this type of dough recently, and found it makes an EXCELLENT crust - not thick, not cracker-thin, and with a flavor that actually makes me want to eat it, unlike most pizza doughs. Good support for the extra-thick toppings I like to use, too, but still pretty tender.

Edit: Started thinking about this more. I usually eat pizza the same way I usually eat a sandwich. That is, I eat about half a slice of pizza, then I eat the toppings off the rest. I may have the toppings off a second slice, too. The crust I'm making though, when I made it last I not only ate an entire slice crust and all, I ate two entire slices crust and all. It's just that good.

Haha ColoradoRonin - like the placement of your PoL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back