contest BEGIN! Pizza Rustica Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingreds for 2 pizzas. Dough is in the fridge. That's German blue cheese at the bottom. I didn't end up using the spinach.
P9091122.jpg

This is my pizza rig. Foil works really well.
P9101128.jpg

P9101129.jpg

P9101132.jpg

Alright warming up, had some friends around for the day, so why not have a beer or two, maybe three and throw a few pies.

Did a margarhetia. then there kids wanted Ham + Pineapple, Meat lovers with charred capsicum, BBQ Chicken amoeba style

Ok so i thought id try a few different things this time, couple of strange flavours that work well together and just wing it.

So first of all there was a Crab/Cream cheese and Calamari pizza

Then a Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese pizza

Firs pic is the crab and cream cheese mix, uncooked pizza followed by the uncooked Pear pizza

Attachments

• SDC11409.JPG
    SDC11409.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 95
  • SDC11410.JPG
    SDC11410.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 92
  • SDC11411.JPG
    SDC11411.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 95
  • SDC11412.JPG
    SDC11412.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 90
  • SDC11413.JPG
    SDC11413.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC11415.JPG
    SDC11415.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC11422.JPG
    SDC11422.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 83
Lookin good Booma :)

Here's the build of my first pie

Dough, pesto, capriciossa (like mozzerella), maple syrup glazed grilled pumpkin with salt and crushed dry chilli, lightly crushed anise. Into the bbq for 10 minutes with a chunk of nectarine wood.
P9101131.jpg

3 minutes before I took it out of the BBQ I added some hand shredded prosciutto and blue cheese. Resting on a cooling rack inside.

P9101135.jpg

Looking great! I was expecting Booma to walk away with this thing. And "amoeba style" ! I have created a legend! Stick that in your butt TB!

SWEET CRAB & CALAMARI GOO

Perfect Pizza Dough (this is the best dough i have made by far, tried several variations, give it a shot)

5 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoons sugar
2 room temperature water

-Combine all the ingredients in the bowl and mix for one minute, to form a coarse, sticky dough ball. I mix by hand.
-Let dough rest for 5 minutes, then mix again for one minute to make a smooth, very tacky ball of dough.
-Move dough to a oiled work surface and fold the dough into a smooth ball. Let it rest for 5 minutes and then stretch and fold the dough into tight ball. Repeat this again, two more times, at 5 minute intervals.
-Place the dough in a oiled bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator. Leave in fridge for 6 hours and remove 2 hours before use.

Pizza Ingredients

125gms Cream Cheese
200gms Crab Meat
Thai Birds Eye Chilli
Dozen Calamari RIngs
Tsp Capers
Tsp Lemon RInd
1/2 Red Onion
Few Anchovies
Sweet Onion
Sweet Chilli Sauce

Combine cream cheese, crab, Birds eye, lemon, anchovies and sweet onion, mix to smooth blend. Spread over pizza dough. Thinly slice red onion and place on pizza, spread capers. Top with calamari and sweet chilli sauce.

Pizza was placed in WFO at about a floor/hearth heat of 400 deg celsius, cooked for about 2mins and then served.

Attachments

• SDC11417.JPG
    SDC11417.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC11420.JPG
    SDC11420.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 93
PEARZOLA! PIZZA

Perfect Pizza Dough (same dough as before, nice and tasty, chewy, yet soft and flavoursome. Just made base a little thicker this time)

5 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoons sugar
2 room temperature water

-Combine all the ingredients in the bowl and mix for one minute, to form a coarse, sticky dough ball. I mix by hand.
-Let dough rest for 5 minutes, then mix again for one minute to make a smooth, very tacky ball of dough.
-Move dough to a oiled work surface and fold the dough into a smooth ball. Let it rest for 5 minutes and then stretch and fold the dough into tight ball. Repeat this again, two more times, at 5 minute intervals.
-Place the dough in a oiled bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator. Leave in fridge for 6 hours and remove 2 hours before use.

Pizza Ingredients

1 Pear thinly sliced
1 tblsp Caster Sugar
1 tblsp Brown Sugar
1 tblsp Crushed Walnuts
1 tsp Habanero Powder
1 tblsp Butter
1/3 Cup Gorgonzola Blue Cheese

Melt butter and spread over pizza dough. Spread caster sugar and brown sugar over butter. Mix in habanero powder. Place pear slices. Sprinkle walnuts over pizza. Crumble blue cheese all over

Pizza was placed in WFO at about a floor/hearth heat of 400 deg celsius, cooked for about 2mins and then served.

Attachments

• SDC11424.JPG
    SDC11424.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 93
  • SDC11426.JPG
    SDC11426.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 93
Alright y'all, its teaser time for my Tex-Mex Pizza.

Pinto beans with whole roasted garlic & balsamic vinegar.

IMG_4021.JPG

Dough all happy.

IMG_4011.JPG

Flank steak for marrying with cilantro, garlic, lime zest, kosher salt and olive oil.

IMG_4018.JPG

Fired up the grill for the carne.

IMG_4023.JPG

This is how we roll.

IMG_4024.JPG

Par baked on the grill for 2 minutes and then back inside to load up with yum yums.

From bottom to top..

pinto beans
shredded jack & cheddar cheeses
sliced grilled flank steak
sliced pickled jalapenos
sliced black olives
more shredded jack & cheddar
more black olives
more peno's

IMG_4025.JPG

Tex-Mex rocks everthang!

Final plate comin'!

So the little cheap-azz grill I picked up at Walmart isn't going to work out. Amongst other things, the enamel on the lid is peeling - don't really cherish the idea of that flaking off into my pizza. Time for Plan C.......

A few more teaser pics of the RoninKitchenGarden..
Before:
IMG_7142.jpg

After:
IMG_7147.jpg

Unfortunately here in Colorado we have burning restrictions in place, so it's on the gas grill for this one...

Oh contraire mon fraire. I did create the amoeba pizza a cousin of the SoFlo Artisan pizza. And it will be done when I am damn good and ready.

TB's Tex-Mex Pizza Chingon

The pizza dough:

2# bread flour

2C 110F h20

2T olive oil

1T ADY

1T sugar

2t kosher salt

Bloomed all ingredients and then incorporated the flour.

Proofed one time and divided into 4ths and balled for 2nd 24 hour proof in the fridge.

Rolled out, docked and par baked on a gas grill.

The toppings from bottom to top:

Pinto beans w/ roasted whole garlic & balsamic vinegar

Shredded cheddar & jack cheese

Marinated & grilled, sliced flank steak

Sliced black olives

Pickled sliced jalapenos

Diced avocado

Baja Splooge (mexican crema, lime juice, lime zest)

Get down brown on this.

IMG_4026.JPG

Zippy, gooey, steaky, scheezy.

Tex-Mex style y'all!

IMG_4028.JPG

I never thought a tex-mex pizza would be good but that looks great. Everyones looks great! Why aren't there any beers next to these pizza's?

Nice, TB, looks tasty!

Ok..... I'm sharing this with you all so you can either a) celebrate with me if it works, or b) laugh with me if it doesn't!
Plan C is actually a slight modification of Plan A. Plan B was a cheap-azz grill from Wally World, but that's not working. Here's the setup:

- Using my electric grill as a base ONLY - it won't be plugged in or turned on. It's a good working height though, and heat-proof, so no extra safety precautions need to be taken.
- Foil-lined my 10" cast iron skillet, and put a double layer of charcoal into it, which will be lit when the time comes.
- Charcoal grate on top of that. The pizza stone will be laid on top of the grate after the coals are good and hot. The grate serves both as a platform for the pizza stone, and also allows a bit of oxygen to get to the coals.

P1010204.JPG

Will it work? Your guess is as good as mine! Or, as we from Texas say: We're fixin' to find out!

Nice TB. You could fold that pizza in half and have one ginormous taco.

@G- Totally think you're going to smother your coals once you put the stone on to pre-heat. Sorry girl, but I just can't see that working.

You need to get more air to the coals. Maybe wrap some bricks in aluminum foil and stack outside of the skillet on the grill to get that grate up a little more... might have a chance.

Sum, I believe you are correct.

Its gonna' need more air to work.

Rather than foil wrapped bricks she could use tightly balls of foil with grooves on the bottom to lock in with the CI, maybe like 4, one every 90 degrees.

Yeah, can't get the grate up any higher, due to the shape of the lid. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I will have given it an honest try! If nothing else, I'll have a pizza to post in the last great pizza thread. Besides, this won't be the first time someone's told me something wouldn't work but then it did - here's hoping this turns out the same! :cheers:

Ok so TB posted about the same time I did. I liked the balled-up foil idea - skip the CI entirely and just put the coals directly on the grill grate, then the coal grate on top of the foil. Set it up, looks like it's going to hold. Let the games begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back