• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! PIZZA Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH YEAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBtwWpJ6hI

frydad4 said:
Holy moley Husker!!!!!!

For your sake, I hope that tasted as good as it looked!!! Helluva first TD!!!

Thanks frydad.  It was killer.  I have to admit, I went heavy on the sriracha so the wife would tap out after one slice.  No worries, I made a plain ole sauce and mozz pie for her and the kids.
JayT said:
Jay T's Meat and Taters Pizza

Dough:
2 Cups AP flour
1.5 Cups 00 flour + more for dusting
1.5 Cups 101F water
2 Tsp yeast
1 Tbs honey
1 Tbs sea salt
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp paprika
1 Tbs Italian herbs

Sauce:
1/2 cup flour for roux
1/2 cup butter for roux
1 pint heavy cream
2 Tbs white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
5 cloves galic chopped
2 Tsp homeground horseradish
1 Tbs dried basil
sea salt to taste
dash of nutmeg

Toppings:
tenderloin steak cut into tips (I marinated this steak in soy sauce, olive oil, seasoned pepper blend, and worchestershire for a day)
Yukon gold potatoes thinly sliced
caramelized Vidalia onion
mozzarella cheese
fatalii thinly sliced
piquins halved
shaved parmesan
chives
basil oil drizzle
garlic fire oil (bhut) brushed on crust/

I started by making the dough, letting it rise for an hour and half, then punching it down, dividing into two and cold proofing overnight.  Today, I started with the horseradish cream sauce while it was reducing to the right consistency, I started caramelizing the onions over low heat for about an hour.  Next, I pressed out the dough and covered it with the sauce.  I topped it with sliced whole milk mozzarella, thinly sliced the Yukon golds and placed them on the pie.  Then came the caramelized onions, thinly sliced fatalii, and piquin halves.  I basted the crust with the garlic fire oil and put the pizza in the oven on 450F.  I then fired up the heat on the same pan I cooked the onions down in and browned them for just a minute so they will remain medium rare. After the crust is golden, the cheese is just starting to brown and the potatoes are cooked through I pulled it out and brushed it again with the garlic fire oil.  Placed the tenderloin tips back on the pie and shaved the parmesan.  Topped with chives and drizzled with basil oil.

attachicon.gif
100_0220.JPG

attachicon.gif
100_0221.JPG

Mmmm, loved the saved parmesan.

5-O, you know him, my bro, he took me to a hole-in-the-wall bbq place in urban Atlanta for lunch. It's called Fox Bros.
TB, pay attention. 
This place was started by couple of buddies who came from Texas. They brought their traditional recipes, and the locals LOVE IT!!!
It's highly rated, always crowded, very innovative, yet "divey" and awesome at the same time. 
For a side dish, amongst mac and cheese and collards, they had Frito Pie!! Served in the bag of chips!!! It is AWESOME!!!
The chili uses smokey BBQ meat as the protein. No beans. (damn right). I smoked some spare ribs and the meat melted off for me. Perfect.
I got ahold of their recipe and decided that it needed to be made into a pizza. 

I made a yeast dough that is part flour, part masa. And I rolled REAL FRITOS into the dough!!! BOOSH!!
Olive oil and cheddar are the only initial toppings. Then it gets a scoop of chili, sour cream, red onion, cilantro, and another sprinkle of cheddar.
This was really really tasty!!

10657511075_4fa82f9454_b.jpg

10657543106_e1e1a8b7ee_b.jpg

10657545906_9202a95c5d_b.jpg

10657519245_2e9d5cdc39_b.jpg

10657761213_cd9796f9f7_b.jpg

'Twas Great!

Wait. You made the Frito pie... literally into a Frito pie? Holy fucking genius!!!!!!

Frydad's Frito Pizza Pie

Frito pie, by itself, is a thing to behold. 
I brought it to the Pizza Stratosphere...and it WORKED!!!

Here's how I made the chili:
Olive oil, butter,2 C onions, 1 C serranos...sauteed
Add 24 oz crushed Tomatoes, 32 oz beef stock, 5 T chili Pow, 1/2 T each garlic, onion, smoked habapeno pow, sugar. 1/4 t cumin.
Let simmer. Add 1 lb smoked meat (i used spare rib, off the bone). Let it marinate for a good hour or two.

The dough was 1 T yeast, 1 C AP flour, 1 C masa flour. Some salt. Let it do it's magic for a few hours. Roll into 2 thin rounds.
Add a bag of Fritos on top of one. Top with the other...roll them both until thin, sandwiching the chips in between. 
Top with cheddar cheese and olive oil, cook on pizza stone at 500 for 8 minutes. 

Slice, top with chili, add diced red onion, cilantro, sour cream, serranos, and more cheese. It was so good!!!

10657835085_7bb520d8f3_b.jpg

10658070873_255b0eb317_b.jpg

Boosh!

FD

Oh 'Lawd have mercy!

: gets down on one knee :

Fiddy...will you marry me? (no homo)

I shoulda' 'membered you have a Texas connection and man did you do it up Texas style.

Frito pie pizza.

Chingon de la Chingon!

Soon as finish my vid I'm on it.

What time does the t-down close THP?

frydad4 said:
5-O, you know him, my bro, he took me to a hole-in-the-wall bbq place in urban Atlanta for lunch. It's called Fox Bros.
TB, pay attention. 
This place was started by couple of buddies who came from Texas. They brought their traditional recipes, and the locals LOVE IT!!!
It's highly rated, always crowded, very innovative, yet "divey" and awesome at the same time. 
For a side dish, amongst mac and cheese and collards, they had Frito Pie!! Served in the bag of chips!!! It is AWESOME!!!
The chili uses smokey BBQ meat as the protein. No beans. (damn right). I smoked some spare ribs and the meat melted off for me. Perfect.
I got ahold of their recipe and decided that it needed to be made into a pizza. 

I made a yeast dough that is part flour, part masa. And I rolled REAL FRITOS into the dough!!! BOOSH!!
Olive oil and cheddar are the only initial toppings. Then it gets a scoop of chili, sour cream, red onion, cilantro, and another sprinkle of cheddar.
This was really really tasty!!

10657511075_4fa82f9454_b.jpg

10657543106_e1e1a8b7ee_b.jpg

10657545906_9202a95c5d_b.jpg

10657519245_2e9d5cdc39_b.jpg

10657761213_cd9796f9f7_b.jpg

'Twas Great!

I will be trying this out soon!

I thought I'd stick to Italian as I am 1/4 Italian.  (The other 3/4 is Scot and they sure as stuff don't make pizza.  No haggis on mine please lol)

I wanted fresh, delicate flavours so I thought I'd go with summer in Italy.  Light, fresh and sun in the wind.  All my shopping was done at a local Italian supermarket / deli / cafe / bottle shop / awesome shop :)

Ingredients and PoL

Peroni for the chef, fresh mozzerella (almost cream lol), San Marzano tomatoes,  unfiltered extra virgin olive oil, 00 flour, fresh basil, baby capsicums, fresh Italian sausage, fresh shaved proscuitto, parmigiano reggiano and a red hab.
PB051585.jpg

Dough.  Medium-high hydration.  Gets a bit sticky to work with but well worth the effort and the only way to roll imo for a pizza

PB051581.jpg

San Marzano pomodoro reduced to a nice consistency.  Ultra thin pizza base and rolled edges.

PB051594.jpg

Here we go y'all...

TB's THC (TexasHippyCracker) Pizza.

Whole Wheat Cracker Style Crust.

The dough:

2 1/2 C Whole Wheat flour
1 1/4 C warm water
1 TB sugar
1 TB dry yeast
2 TB olive oil
3 TB Sriracha Rooster Sauce

Parbaked @450f on a perforated pizza pan for 10 minutes.

Removed from the oven and brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt.

Toppings:

Goat cheese.
Shredded mozz.
Lightly sauteed button mushrooms.
Artichokes.
Roasted garlic.
Diced roma tomato.
Diced green bell pepper.
Pickled chiltepin

After topping, back into the oven for another 10 minutes.

Done. Pao. Bang.

The beginning..

KA mixed all the dough ingredients and then proofed once and then into the fridge.

Out of the fridge and after second proof with the ingredients.

Rolled out.

Sheeted and docked, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Topped with the goat cheese, shredded mozz, shroomage, 'chokes, tomato and roasted garlic.

More shredded mozz, green bell pepper and pickled chiltepin. YUM!

Right out of the oven.

Final coming.

Process:

Dough:  00 flour, water, yeast, salt, olive oil.  Mix lightly and rest.  Proof.  Fold and proof.  Roll out and shape and proof.

Sauce:  San Marzano tomatoes.  Blend, reduce over low heat until thick.  Spread onto base.

PB051594.jpg

Grill Italian sausage until just cooked.  Rest.  Slice thinly. 
Tear mozzerella into chunks.
Thinly slice capsicums.
Finely dice habanero.
Place on pizza.

Cook over hot flame until the flour around the edges of the baking pan starts to change to brown.
Place into an oven preheated to maxium.
Cook 5-6 minutes
Remove from heat.

PB051595.jpg

Place torn prosciutto, basil leaves and dress with olive oil.  Using a peeler, add parmigiano reggiano

PB051598.jpg

PB051599.jpg

TB's THC (TexasHippyCracker) Crust Pizza

Sriracha Whole Wheat Cracker Style Pizza.

The dough:

2 1/2 C Whole Wheat flour
1 1/4 C warm water
1 TB sugar
1 TB active dry yeast
2 TB olive oil
3 TB Sriracha Rooster Sauce

Method:

Kitchen Aid mixed all ingredients, proofed once, chilled overnight, proofed again, rolled, sheeted and docked onto a perforated pizza pan and parbaked @450f for 10 minutes.

Removed from oven, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Topped and back into the oven for 10 minutes until done.

Toppings:

Goat cheese
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Sauteed button mushrooms
Roasted garlic
Artichokes
Diced roma tomato
Diced green bell pepper
Mama Lycha Brand pickled chiltepin's.

This came out as thin as a cracker style could be. Super crispy crust which complimented the wonderful flavor goat cheese, roasted garlic, artichoke, tomato and bell pepper. The pickled chiltepin's added the perfect amount of snappy heat without lighting you up too much. Perfect!

Cracker Crust. Texas Hippy Style!

Salute' y'all!

Ingredients to one of the finest thin crust pies I've tasted

I used a sheet pan cause I'm pretty Sheet faced.....This ones has holes, I normally use for Focaccia Bread

Rolling the dough into a rectangle.

Ah.....close enough, I'm running out of time ! It makes it easier to put this on the sheet pan if you roll-it on the pin-ner

Un-roll the dough onto the sheet pan

Cut dough to fit, add marinara, scatter minimal cheese

Add remaining cheese and blot with sauce. Bake at 340 deg to get a uniform bake......yikes look at the time !

Plating with the usual sides of shakers.......I didn't have any Brooklyn Brew, but this pie is sure "Stardom". So I paired it up with a "Shiner"

Close-up of the "Melt".......I was happy to make this one....

Yes.........don't shout, I did forget the pol............So here it is.
Where's my Beer ?

Grandma's Pizza...........Brooklyn's Finest !

Ingredients: Garlic, Basil, Cheeses ( Whole Milk Mozzarella, Mild Provolone, Mild Cheddar), Sea Salt, Parmasean, Crushed Red Pepper, Dough ( Italian Starter/ "00" Flour),
Homemade Maranara Sauce.

Garlic Crushed ( 3 Bulbs)
Basil ( 5 Leaves)
Olive Oil (Drizzle)
Cheeses (24 oz mixed)
Salt (1 tsp)
Pamasean (2 tbl)
Crushed Pepper ( 1 tbl)
Dough (26 oz)
Maranara (2 cups)

Dough:
Mix 2 cups of "00" Flour with 2 cups of Italian Starter (Poolish). Let rest in fridge for 2 days.

Prep
Roll Dough out thinly, unto sheet pan. Add Maranara, Crushed Garlic,chopped Basil,  Scatter Cheese, Blot with additional Maranara, Sprinke Red Pepper,  Parm Cheese, Oregano.
Bake at 340 deg for 25 min.

If you do it right...like this, the pizza will slide out of the pan.......... :D 

Haha. PIC 1 took my challenge. One of my fave pizza styles. The Grandma!

10 MIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back