• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! PIZZA Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhhhh Asian braised short rib pizza I have my eye on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just throwing up some more pics since I don't want to photo bomb the main TD thread....

Before the first rise...

image_zpsa7a3818f.jpg

Short ribs all rubbed up...

image_zps981903a6.jpg

Everybody in the pool!  Time to braise...

image_zpseaefa13a.jpg

And of course my chef's assistants...

image_zpsf4e0f63d.jpg

The Moroccan

This is a pizza that allowed me to try some different things. First, I was able to make thinner-crust pizza dough with some whole wheat flour/corn meal by chilling dough overnight in refrigerator. According to what was read, whole wheat flour adds more robust chewiness, and the corn meal may reduce softness. In addition, garlic was roasted in oven; herbs were mixed with some extra virgin olive oil (creating a third “oil” not mentioned in ingredient list); the pizza crust was grilled/cooked on a pizza sheet; and a Moroccan-style (assuming correct at start since never been to said country) curry powder was prepared/used.  Also, the toppings were used more sparingly, and alternated to change the flavor.  

Ingredient List

¾ cup water
1 packet ADY
½ teaspoon sugar
1 ½ flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup Mediterranean oil
1 clove garlic
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon basil
Chicken breast
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt as required
Black pepper as required (not in pol, but only really used it to prepare chicken-accidentally omitted in curry prep.)
12 clove garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt as required
¾ cup water
¼ cup honey
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
1 cup Mozzarella
Red onions as required
Kalamata olives as required
Sliced red peppers as required
Italian parsley as required
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black mustard seed
¼-1/2 teaspoon approx. Black cardamom

To prepare pizza dough/cook crust:
  1. Preheat gas grill to medium heat, and close lid.  **Preheat indoor oven to 400 degrees
  2. Prepare warm water. combine with yeast and ½ teaspoon sugar for 5 minutes.
  3. Add flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, and salt to bowl. Mix. Add yeast water and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix well.
  4. Flour countertop, and place dough on flour. Knead for 8 minutes, folding dough over and pushing away.
  5. Add some oil to a bowl, coat dough, and cover with saran wrap. Let sit for 2 hours.
  6. Put dough in refrigerator overnight.
  7. When ready, remove dough from refrigerator. Punch dough down, and dump out on to floured countertop. Flatten dough to about 1 inch.
  8. Using a rolling pin, flatten dough further from center outwards, until desired dough thickness is reached.
  9. Flour top of dough, and fold half of dough over on to other half. This will allow you to move the dough easier. Transfer dough to pizza sheet, and walk outside to grill.
  10. Open grill top, and place pizza sheet directly onto grill. This experiment was done because prior experience suggests that my grill grates are too far apart to effectively handle uncooked pizza dough. Let dough cook for 3 minute or so-remove from heat, and bring inside.
  11. Prepare toppings as desired, and then return partially cooked crust to grill. Slide entire pizza off of cookie sheet, and place directly onto hot grill (this is easier now.)  Allow to cook for 8 minutes.
  12. Transfer pizza back onto pizza sheet, and place in oven for 2-3 minutes. Prop open oven door so that flame stays lit.
To prepare roasted garlic cloves:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a small oven-safe bowl, add 12 cloves peeled garlic to ¾ cup water. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil, and some salt.
  3. Cook for 1 hour, checking to avoid burning.
To prepare herbed olive oil:
  1. Add ½ cup mediterranean oil to bowl. To this add 1 clove garlic pieces, ½ teaspoon of oregano, ½ teaspoon basil, and ½ teaspoon thyme. Refrigerate until needed.
To prepare grilled chicken:
  1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Close lid. Let heat up for a bit.
  2. Wash chicken pieces, and place in bowl. To this, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt well, and some black pepper. Coat chicken thoroughly.
  3. Transfer chicken pieces to grill. Grill for about 4 minutes on a side. Turn over. Remove from heat.
  4. Place chicken in refrigerator until needed.
To prepare fresh ingredients (wash parsley and set aside/slice olives from jar in half. refrigerate both):
  1. Wash red pepper, red onion and set aside. Slice red pepper thinly, and slice onion across whole onion. Cut rings in half.
  2. Refrigerate both for later.
To prepare curry powder/combine curry powder:
  1. To a skillet add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, and 1 teaspoon mustard seeds. When seeds begin to pop, remove from heat. Add 2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon partially crushed cloves, approx. ½ teaspoon partially crushed black cardamom, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon coriander, and 1 teaspoon cumin. Transfer mixture to blender, and transform into finer powder. Set aside until needed.
  2. When ready, combine 2 teaspoons curry powder with ¼ cup honey and a bit of salt.
To prepare toppings:
  1. When pizza crust has been initially grilled, bring back inside.
  2. First, brush pizza crush with a layer of herbed olive oil. Follow this with 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese, and then 1 cup shredded mozzarella.
  3. For alternating flavors, add toppings sparingly in a version of this approximate order: 1 slice red pepper, 1 slice red onion, 1 clove roasted garlic, 1 kalamata olive, and 1 slice grilled chicken. Continue this pattern until entire pizza has been filled.
  4. Drizzle curry glaze over entire pizza. **It was noted during prep that glaze had a tendency to glop all at once off of spoon, which may have resulted in more curry powder (i.e. more cinnamon) being in one place than preferred at desired at times. If attempted in future, might perhaps figure out a way to address this. Otherwise, seemed to taste ok.
Final prep:
  1. Slice pizza as desired, and garnish slice with some Italian parsley. Enjoy.

Hey key I'm confused by your wording, were the toppings added after you cooked it?

The Hot Pepper said:
Hey key I'm confused by your wording, were the toppings added after you cooked it?

The toppings were added after an initial cooking. In other words, I started with the pizza dough, cooked it for a time, removed it from heat, added toppings and returned to cook for additional time.

Thank you!

Nice pizza. Moroccan chicken, strategic topping placement to allow more of a mingle of flavors than an overload, also allowing you to taste the sauce more, so the curry hits ya throughout as you hit other Moroccan flavors as you bite... well played.

@keybrdkid: awesome!!! I really wish i could taste it!

Here some pics of my preparations:

Dough at start:
i1J61BEbzzIYG.jpg

Dough after 3 hours:
iMCMR2OoFQq6c.jpg

The mighty buffalo mozzarella (no PoL here in this closeup)!
ilUy8QvISDEuU.jpg

My trinidad scorpion (not fully ripen but was the most beautiful):
ibthNvfp5WEh6u.jpg

My scorpion revealed:
iudan9vM1TOFO.jpg

My main ingredients before cooking!
iADN2oI5ZFL85.jpg

Ok, 12oclok is passeds and i'm hungry,.. Pizza making time!
(if i have posted too many pics i'll remove them)

BSOD
Buffalo mozzarella, Scorpion, Onions and other Delicious ingredients!

Ingredients:
200g durum wheat (hard grain flour, semola di grano duro)
200g soft grain flour
3/4 glass of water
1/2 glass of milk
Evo oil
1 or 2 little teaspoons of sugar
salt as needed
Cow buffalo mozzarella (as needed, for 1 pizza around 100-150g should do)
Tomato puree
Black pepper powder
Yeast base (lievito madre)
1 red onion
Naples pepperoni
Olives
3 cloves of garlic
1 trinidad scorpion
Basil leaves
Oregano

Dough:
  • mix 200g flour, 200g durum wheat, 2 lttle teaspoons of sugar (8g), 2 teaspoons of salt (15g), 30g of base yeast. If possible avoid direct contact between salt and yeast.
  • Knead with 3/4 glass of water, 1/2 glass of milk and a tablespoon of oil. Of course if needed you could add other water or flour to reach the desired dough (it has to be slightly wet) but keep as close as possible with these values. I was fine with this exact measurements. The glass i used is large 175 cc.
  • Hand knead well for some minutes.
  • Let it rise (i waited 5 hours).
Preparing ingredients:
  • Cut onions, then put it in a bowl with evo oil, salt, and black pepper powder and stir together,. It's better to let this be for at least 1 hour.
  • Cut buffalo mozzarella at least half an hour before and put in a sloping cutting board (it will pour out a lot of liquid, if you don't do this you risk you have too liquind in pizza.
  • Cut pepperoni,  olives, trinidad scorpion
  • Peel garlic
Make pizza:
  • take the amount of dough you need (i've not used all for this pizza of course) and kneed again a bit
  • flatten dough as thin as you can (rolling pin is suggested). Don't worry, it won't be too thin cause it will rise some more while cooking. Here you should use a bit of flour to avoid that flattened dough attach at rolling pin or the working base.
  • spread tomato puree
  • mash 3 garlic cloves above tomato
  • put cow buffalo mozzarella
  • put red onion as needed (same here too, i've not used 1 full onion for this pizza)
  • put Naples pepperoni
  • put olives
  • put chopped trinidad scorpion
Cooking:
I've used an electrical oven at max temperature (~275°C) until cooked (~10 min, you have to see when it's done).
The best would be a wood powered oven at 300-310°C i think.

Final toppings after cooking:
Oregano and basil leaves

iO0ru6gGYh58L.jpg

iP1SV9hQiVPKR.jpg

image_zps44205205.jpg

This is just for the side dish...

image_zps5c9a17a1.jpg

Essegi said:
BSOD
Buffalo mozzarella, Scorpion, Onions and other Delicious ingredients!

Ingredients:
200g durum wheat (hard grain flour, semola di grano duro)
200g soft grain flour
3/4 glass of water
1/2 glass of milk
Evo oil
1 or 2 little teaspoons of sugar
salt as needed
Cow buffalo mozzarella (as needed, for 1 pizza around 100-150g should do)
Tomato puree
Black pepper powder
Yeast base (lievito madre)
1 red onion
Naples pepperoni
Olives
3 cloves of garlic
1 trinidad scorpion
Basil leaves
Oregano

Dough:
  • mix flour, durum wheat 2 lttle teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of salt, 30g of base yeast.
  • If possible avoid direct contact between salt and yeast.
  • Knead with 3/4 glass of water, 1/2 galss of milk and a tablespoon of oil. Of course if needed you could add other water or flour to reach the desired dough (it has to be slightly wet).
  • Knead well for some minutes.
  • Let it rise (i waited 5 hours).
Preparing ingredients:
  • Cut onions, then put it in a bowl with evo oil, salt, and black pepper powder. It's better to let this be for at least 1 hour.
  • Cut buffalo mozzarella at least half an hour before and put in a sloping cutting board (it will pour out a lot of liquid, if you don't do this you risk you have too liquind in pizza.
  • Cut pepperoni,  olives, trinidad scorpion
  • Peel garlic
Make pizza:
  • flatten pizza as thin as you can (rolling pin is suggested). Don't worry, it won't be too thin cause it will rise some more while cooking.
  • spread tomato puree
  • mash garlic cloves above tomato
  • put cow buffalo mozzarella
  • put red onion
  • put Naples pepperoni
  • put olives
  • put chopped trinidad scorpion
Cooking:
I've used an electrical oven at max temperature (~275°C) until cooked (~10 min, you have to see).
The best would be a wood powered oven at 300-310°C i think.

Final toppings after cooking:
Oregano and basil leaves

iO0ru6gGYh58L.jpg

iP1SV9hQiVPKR.jpg

Final note:
of course i have not use all dough and all onion for only this pizza, only what needed.

That is beautiful!

So far EVERYONE has used BP...... how the heck am I supposed to vote when the time comes???? 

Just ribbin'! Everything looks really good so far!

The Great Sriracha Scare of 2013

As many of you know there was a great scare in the chili-head community.  The local authorities threatened to shut down the Sriracha plant due to the noxious (I call them heavenly) fumes emanating from plant.  Out of fear of scarcity and skyrocketing prices I ran out and purchased 3 bottles.  Now that this shut down has been avoided I have a TON of Srirahca on hand.  Thus my inspiration for this pizza!

Dough
1 package dry years
1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
Directions
Proof yeast in a measuring cup with lukewarm water.

In a food processor add whole wheat and all purpose flours, proofed yeast, oil mixed with honey and salt. Pulse processor to combine all ingredients. Then process until the dough forms a ball on the blade. Remove dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough and transfer to a floured board and knead briefly. Divide dough into 4 equal portions and roll each piece into a ball. Place the balls of dough, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Bring the dough to room temperature before proceeding.

Toppings
1 ½ cups shredded monterey cheese
Brown Sauce (2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce, ½ teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger, a few drops of fish sauce and rice wine vinegar)
3 – 5 shredded seared/braised beef short rips
Rib rub (smoked super hot chili powder courtesy of Chewi on THP, smoked paprika, ground coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, raw sugar, salt and pepper)
Braising liquid (equal parts water and low sodium soy sauce and a tiny squirt of honey with rough chopped shallot, garlic and ginger)
 3 roasted shallots
7 sautéed shitake mushrooms
Sriracha to taste J
Cilantro to garnish
Green onion to garnish
Enough toasted sesame seeds to sprinkle on the crust before baking

Directions
Dust the ribs with the rib rub and sear them on the grill.  From there I transferred them into a baking dish and poured the braising liquid over them.  They spent 2 hours at 300 degrees.  You can also roast your shallots that will be used as a pizza topping at this time.  Towards the end of the braise sauté your shrooms.  Let the ribs rest a bit and then shred them.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. 
Stretch out your dough.  I used a ball of dough that would stretch out to the size of my pizza stone.  Once you have it stretched out cover the pizza with the monterey jack cheese.  Brush the edge of the crust with toasted sesame oil and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.  Bake the crust until the cheese melts a bit and the crust is a light blonde color.

Time to top it!  On top of the cheese drizzle on the brown sauce.  Layer on the shitakes and shallots.  Next layer on a copious amount of shredded short ribs.  Swirl on as much Sriracha as you like.  I used a lot. 

Now put it back on the pizza stone until all of the ingredients warm through and the crust has a golden brown color.

Garnish with green onion and cilantro.

image_zps9e08365f.jpg

image_zpseb98e09e.jpg

I served this alongside some Asian inspired slaw.  This is a pizza contest so if anyone wants detailed measurements let me know.  I usually don’t measure but I can try to figure it out.
Ingredients
Shredded red cabbage
Matchstick cut red bell peppers
Matchstick cut carrots
Matchstick cut snow peas
Finely chopped garlic
Green onion
Low sodium soy sauce
Sriracha
Fish sauce
Fresh ground ginger
Honey
Toasted sesame oil
Rice wine vinegar
Fish sauce
Lime juice
Cilantro
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
Salt
Pepper

Jay T's Meat and Taters Pizza

Dough:
2 Cups AP flour
1.5 Cups 00 flour + more for dusting
1.5 Cups 101F water
2 Tsp yeast
1 Tbs honey
1 Tbs sea salt
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tsp paprika
1 Tbs Italian herbs

Sauce:
1/2 cup flour for roux
1/2 cup butter for roux
1 pint heavy cream
2 Tbs white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
5 cloves galic chopped
2 Tsp homeground horseradish
1 Tbs dried basil
sea salt to taste
dash of nutmeg

Toppings:
tenderloin steak cut into tips (I marinated this steak in soy sauce, olive oil, seasoned pepper blend, and worchestershire for a day)
Yukon gold potatoes thinly sliced
caramelized Vidalia onion
mozzarella cheese
fatalii thinly sliced
piquins halved
shaved parmesan
chives
basil oil drizzle
garlic fire oil (bhut) brushed on crust/

I started by making the dough, letting it rise for an hour and half, then punching it down, dividing into two and cold proofing overnight.  Today, I started with the horseradish cream sauce while it was reducing to the right consistency, I started caramelizing the onions over low heat for about an hour.  Next, I pressed out the dough and covered it with the sauce.  I topped it with sliced whole milk mozzarella, thinly sliced the Yukon golds and placed them on the pie.  Then came the caramelized onions, thinly sliced fatalii, and piquin halves.  I basted the crust with the garlic fire oil and put the pizza in the oven on 450F.  I then fired up the heat on the same pan I cooked the onions down in and browned them for just a minute so they will remain medium rare. After the crust is golden, the cheese is just starting to brown and the potatoes are cooked through I pulled it out and brushed it again with the garlic fire oil.  Placed the tenderloin tips back on the pie and shaved the parmesan.  Topped with chives and drizzled with basil oil.

100_0220.JPG

100_0221.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back