• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Seafood Sandwich Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
TB's Tex-Mex Crab & Shrimp Bao

Home made jalapeno cheddar bao bun stuffed with blue swimmer crab and bay shrimp with queso.

The Bao.

2 1/2 c King Arthur AP flour
1T sugar
1t salt
1 t dry yeast
3/4 c h20
1/2 c heavy cream
Minced jalapeno
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mixed in my KitchenAid mixer and proofed until doubled in size. Punched down and then stuffed with the seafood queso mix, followed by a 2nd. proof. 40 minutes in the oven @350f.

The Queso.

1/2 stick butter
1T AP flour
1 can Ro-Tel stewed diced toms.
2 minced jalapeno
5 cloves minced garlic
3 cups heavy cream
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
1 cup canned blue swimmer minced crab
8 ounces of bay shrimp

Sauteed on medium low heat the butter, garlic, jalapeno and Ro-Tel. Add AP flour to make a roux. Added heavy cream and brought to a simmer to thicken. A cheese until smooth. Add crab and shrimp and remove from heat. Chilled the mix and stuffed into the bao dough.

Out of the oven.

And boom goes the dynamite!

paulky_2000 said:
Not my BEST entry for sure....but not too shabby for a combat zone! :cool:

That explains the hardware, I thought you going fishing Rambo style. I was waiting to see the stick of dynamite.
Dynamite-Fishing-787469.jpg

Dude, stuffin gooey spicy shit in a homemade bun looks awesome to me.
Throw in some peppers and whatnots, count me in.

I'd go mangos for that!

Nice job TB!

frydad4 said:
Dude, stuffin gooey spicy shit in a homemade bun looks awesome to me.
Throw in some peppers and whatnots, count me in.

I'd go mangos for that!
Nice job TB!

Gracias Fiddy.

You mean FULL MANGO?

NEVER GO FULL MANGO!

Fish is marinating in Louisiana hot sauce, hand cut chips, marinating in water, and Lucky Dog Black Label tartar sauce made.   I am marinating myself in Guinness.

101_0004.JPG

101_0003.JPG

101_0005.JPG

catfish with moruga slaw

slaw
cabbage 1 cup
carrot 1/4 cup
1/3 of a sweet onion
1/2 tbl spn salt
1 btl spn sugar and
1/8 cup vinegar
bring salt and sugar and vinegar to almost boil put over rest of ingredients

catfish fried coated with flower

mixed miracle whip with mango hot sauce add table spoon or so of Italian parsley along with juice of 3 key limes
one sliced san marzano tomato 

Attachments

• td4.jpg
    td4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 49
Just throwing some stuff together.....

P1010660.JPG

Did I hear someone say swordfish?
P1010662.JPG

Yes, I think I did!

Pan-Seared Alaskan Cod with Peach Walnut Chutney and Rustic Bread

In the initial, I wanted to catch something when I was fishing for this TD, but I unfortunately did not. Ah well, it was fun anyway- activity on a variety of lines, but none on mine for the day. Instead, here is some Alaskan Cod pan-seared in cast iron; along with Rustic Bread and peach walnut chutney. The bread was a bit more complex than what I have attempted before-but was pleased with the end result. The initial process of the bread making involved forming a dough starter (or sponge,) and allowing it to pre-ferment. In this case, it pre-fermented for approximately 20-24 hours. While the dough was pre-fermenting, the chutney was assembled. Once the bread was done baking, the fish was then prepared.

Ingredient List

Ice as required
Alaskan Cod as required
1 ½ teaspoon Salt
 Sea salt as required
2 ¾ cup Bread Flour (+a bit extra [2 TBLSPN] for reserve)
¼ cup Whole Wheat Flour
7/8 teaspon Quick Rise Yeast
1 ¼ teaspoon Honey
1 1/3 cup Water
¼ cup Peach Nectar
1 ½ lb. Peaches
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
½ cup Cider Vinegar
1/3 Zest of Lemon approximately
1 Jalapeno
2 Shallots
2 teaspoon Ginger
1 Tablespoon Garlic
1/3 cup walnuts approximately
½ cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Butter, or as required
Cooking spray
Saran wrap

To make bread:
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, ¼ whole wheat flour, 3/8 teaspoon yeast 1 ¼ teaspoon honey, and 1 1/3 cup water.
  2. Whisk until smooth, to incorporate air, for 2 minutes
  3. Set aside temporarily, cover with plastic wrap.
  4. In a clean mixing bowl, stir together 1 ¾ cup bread flour, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon instant yeast. *The idea is not to kill the yeast from direct salt contact-so one might want to mix the yeast into the flour first.
  5. Remove sponge from refrigerator and, using a spoon, gently ladle mixture onto sponge*.
  6. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to mixture ferment for 20-24 hours, approximately.
  7. When ready, remove pre-ferment bowl from refrigerator and mix well. Knead the dough in the bowl a bit; transfer to floured counter.
  8. Knead for five minutes, until it comes together-to develop gluten structure. Add a little extra flour from the 2 tablespoon reserve to reduce sticking, but too much. I did not use a lot here.
  9. Cover dough on counter with bowl, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes
  10. Knead the dough for another 5-10 minutes. If dough is too sticky, add some of the remaining reserve flour.
  11. Grease new mixing bowl with cooking spray, and place dough from counter into it. Push the dough down, and cover with saran wrap.
  12. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour.
  13. When ready, turn the dough out onto floured counter, and press down slightly to form rectangle. Fold dough like you are closing an envelope, and round sides.
  14. Spray previous container again with cooking spray, and return dough to it. Spray dough slightly. Allow to rise for 45 minutes. It will fill container fuller than before because it is puffier with air.
  15. *Since I used a bread pan for baking, I will highlight that method of shaping.* Pre-oil a bread pan. Turn dough out onto a floured counter. It will still be sticky, but use only as much flour during shaping process as absolutely necessary.
  16. Fold dough from right side to left middle, then from left side to right middle. Roll dough from the top down, and place in prepared bread pan.
  17. Cover dough with saran wrap, and allow dough to rise until sufficient dough height has been achieved (about 45-75 minutes.)
  18. Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees. Place cookie sheet on bottom oven rack.
  19. When ready, make one slash down middle of dough, or do not slash at all. Sprinkle some water across top of dough pan, and set dough on cookie sheet.
  20. Toss ½ cup of ice cubes onto cookie sheet, and immediately close door.
  21. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 425 degrees. After five more minutes, rotate loaf 180 degrees.
  22. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
  23. Remove bread from pan, transfer to wire rack to cool.
To blanch fresh peaches:
  1. Boil a quantity of water in a saucepan.
  2. Wash peaches and cut X mark in bottom.
  3. Fill a bowl with some water and ice cubes.
  4. Submerge peaches in boiling water for 30-45 seconds.
  5. Immediately transfer to ice water bath for about 1 minute.
  6. Remove from ice water bath carefully, and pat dry.
  7. Skin should peel easily. Cut peaches into smaller pieces; discard skins and seeds.
To make Peach Walnut Chutney:
  1. Wash and prepare garlic, jalapeno, shallots, walnuts, and ginger into smaller pieces. Peel 1/3 of a lemon for zest, and transfer to blender to create finer pieces.
  2. When ready, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Transfer to saucepan. To this add 1 tablespoon garlic, 2 shallot, 1 jalapeno, 2 teaspoons ginger, and let sit for 2 minutes. *This is how it should have been done. I actually forgot some ingredients at this point-but I ended up separately adding some butter to a small skillet and accomplishing during at a later step.*
  3. Add peach pieces (previously prepared,) ½ cup sugar, ¼ peach nectar, ½ cup cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and about 1/3 cu chopped walnuts. Bring to boil and cook for a time-then reduce heat to low. Continue cooking until peaches are soft.
To season cast iron skillet:
  1. Wash cookware with soapy water, and scrub.
  2. Rinse; pat dry with paper towel.
  3. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  4. Lay sheet of aluminum foil on bottom rack.
  5. Add some vegetable oil to a paper towel, and wipe inside and outside of pan (thin, even coat on all surfaces.)
  6. Place cookware upside down and bake for 1 hour.
  7. Turn off heat, and let cast iron cool down.
To prepare Alaskan Cod:
  1. Wash fillet, and cut a portion of fillet for cooking. Season with sea salt.
  2. Place some olive oil in cast iron skillet, and heat on medium.
  3. Place fish on oil. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes.
  4. Turn fish over, and cook for another 6 minutes.

So I learned from a chef that I used to work with how to do lox. So what the heck why not for this Throwdown. :)

Habbys Lox on Rye

Rosemary Rye Bread

Fresh rosemary
salt
egg
rye flour
white flour
dry yeast
butter
milk
sugar
vegetable oil

Mix rye flour, salt, sugar, yeast, butter, milk in a bowl with mixer fitted with a dough hook. For 1 minute. Add rye flour and white flour, until it forms a ball. Lightly oil another bowl and take out dough from other bowl then put it in oiled bowl. Roll around bowl getting dough lightly oiled. Set aside and let rise for about a hour. Take out and knead several times adding desired amount of rosemary. Then let rise again for about another hour.
Preheat oven to 350, lightly coat top with beaten egg. Let bake 45 minutes. Cool on cooling rack.

Lox

Salmon
sea salt
water
dark rum
brown sugar

Cut salmon into fillets.
Mix sea salt and brown sugar in a bowl and coat both top and bottom of fillets. Let set in mixture for many hours and syrup will form. Take out of bowl rinse salt off completely.
In another bowl mix sea salt and warm water and place rinsed salmon in that bowl. Let sit for many more hours. Place bowl in sink with cool water running and let it overflow, for many more hours. In sauce pan add rum and brown sugar on low heat until sugar is dissolved. Take salmon out of bowl place skin side down on a towel and coat with rum sugar mixture. Place a fan on table let the fan dry coating onto salmon when dry add another coat, repeat coating and drying process 5-6 times. Get your smoker smoking. You can use any type of wood chips you would like except mesquite. According to my chef this wood ruins the flavor entirely. I used hickory. Let smoke for 30-60 minutes. DO NOT allow temp to get above 85F otherwise this will destroy salmon. This entire process takes about two days.  

Sandwich Spread
sour cream
cream cheese
fresh rosemary
fresh tarragon
fresh dill
lemon

Mix sour cream and cream cheese add fresh squeezed lemon then tarragon, rosemary, dill to taste.

Other ingredients used for toppings
avocado
bean sprouts
red onion
FRESH FATALLI PEPPERS

JayT's Primanti Bros. Style Fish and Chips Sandwich
with mushy pea puree, and Lucky Dog Black Label tarter sauce

Ingredients:

Wild caught Alaskan Cod fillets
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Russet potatoes hand cut into chips
Mushy green pea puree (peas, onion, garlic, aji lemon, Thai chiles, sea salt)
Tartar sauce (mayo, lemon juice, sweet pickle relish, Worchestershire, LDHS Black Label)
Flour for dredge and batter
Egg for batter
Can of Guinness
Baking powder
Sea Salt
Chile powder
Paprika
Tomato
Green Leaf Lettuce
Malt Vinegar

I first marinated the cod in Louisiana hot sauce for an hour while I hand cut the chips (fries) and soaked them in water.  I began heating canola oil in a big pot.  Made the mushy pea puree next by cooking the peas, chopping the other ingredients, and then blending in my Magic Bullet.  I then made the tartar sauce to let the flavors meld.  When the oil was ready, I blanched the chips in 325F oil.  Scooped them all out onto paper towel lined baking sheet and cranked the heat up to bring it to 375F then added the fries back in to cook until golden brown.  Scooped them out again, sprinkled with sea salt and put into a 200F oven to stay warm.  While the fries were cooking, I put the cod into the dredge to hang out, and made the batter.  After the batter was ready and the oil is cooled down a little, 350F I fried the cod, working in batches to keep the oil temp up.  When the pieces were cooked, they went onto a newspaper lined pan.  Next assembly:  Italian roll spread with the mushy pea puree on the bottom, the Lucky Dog Black label tartar on the top, the cod, fries, Malt vinegar, tomatoes, sea salt, and finally green leaf lettuce.  Served with some more Guinness.  Enjoy!

101_0019.JPG

101_0022.JPG

This will all take some reading but the eye candy is amazing so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back