• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170205_201344.jpg

Breaded Pork Tenderloin & Sugar Cream Pie - Indianapolis Colts TD Entry

[SIZE=11pt]I spent several days searching the internet for “Famous Foods of Jacksonville” and such, trying to find that dish that was the intersection of something I’d like to cook and also something that is justly famous in it’s town of origin.  Jacksonville, Arizona, Dallas - none of them really had a specific food or dish that won me over.  Then along came Indianapolis, and the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.[/SIZE]

2dum1wg.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]The breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is not very well known outside of a few midwestern states, and that’s a crime I mean to rectify!  The tenderloin sandwich I speak of originated at Nick’s Kitchen in tiny Huntington, Indiana back in 1904 and then spread throughout the midwest.  Iowa and Indiana both lay claim to the best tenderloin sandwiches, but downstate Illinois also makes a very respectable version.  It was at the Village Inn located in Spring Bay, IL where I had my very first tenderloin sandwich back in the late 80s, and that was the start of a long and passionate love affair.  I’d never made them for myself until now.   :)[/SIZE]

DWFt0Hih.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Cut ¾ inch slices from a 3-4lb pork loin and then butterfly them.  Wrap between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound them out till 1/4" thin with a meat mallet or the bottom of a small sauce pan.[/SIZE]

rj1736.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Take the flattened pork and dredge it in flour.  Then dip it into an egg wash made from 3 eggs and 1 cup of milk.  Once it’s fully submerged remove and toss it in a shallow dish that’s filled with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp bahamain goat powder, 1 tsp sea salt, ½ cup bread crumbs, ½ cup panko, ½ cup crushed cheese it crackers and ½ cup crushed saltines.[/SIZE]

JOzMlqGh.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Slide the breaded pork into a pan filled with 375 degree oil.  Fry for about 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.  Drain on a rack and keep warm in an oven until the rest of the tenderloins are done.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]
7Q7zmSTh.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]A good pork tenderloin sandwich combines the thin tender pork and a savory spicy breading that's fried till perfectly crisp.  Normally they dwarf the bun they’re served on and come with your regular sandwich condiments.  I like mine with pickle, onion and mustard.  [/SIZE]

9LE97WPh.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Sides are simple; fries and coleslaw.  I picked up criss cross fries, because they’re fancy.   ;) The coleslaw is fast and easy too: Take 3 cups of cabbage (1 smallish head) and 1 medium carrot and shred them in the food processor.  Add 2 tbsp minced onion, ½ cup mayo, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp aleppo flakes and a tbsp of your favorite hot sauce.  Mix well and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.  [/SIZE]

NqrEnpQh.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]To round out our meal I have prepared another Hoosier state staple for dessert; Sugar Cream Pie.  It’s the official state pie of Indiana!  It’s also something I’d never heard of until about a week ago. LOL!  [/SIZE]Make a simple pie crust using using 1 ¼ cups flour, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt, 5 oz butter and 3 tbsp cold water.  Roll it out into an 11 inch circle and drape over a pie pan.  When the crust is done make the filling:  Take ¾ cup flour and mix in ½ cup sugar and 1 cup turbinado sugar.  Add ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg and ¼ tsp ground ginger.

68wqye.jpg

Mix these ingredients well and then add 1 ½ cups heavy cream, 1 ½ cups half and half and 2 tsp vanilla extract.  Blend everything up very well with a whisk and then pour into your prepared pie crust.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 - 45 minutes until the crust is golden and the center is set.  (I used the toothpick test method and it took 40 minutes)  

gauTpAnh.jpg

Dust with some more cinnamon and allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.

[SIZE=11pt]
CPpiS3Yh.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]This was a lot of fun, and I really loved that sandwich. It will be making more frequent appearances at our table. Amazing entries all - you guys have blown this TD up!! :)[/SIZE]

Philly Cheesesteaks and Pretzel Bites
 ​
2iqUKSv.jpg

Hoagie Rolls

·         1 envelope active dry yeast
·         4 tsp sugar
·         3 cups all purpose flour + a little more for kneading
·         1½ tsp salt
·         1⅓ cups lukewarm water
·         2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little more to brush on the rolls
·         1 jalapeno
·         1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Directions
1.       In a small bowl or measuring cup, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in ⅓ cup of the lukewarm water
Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand for 10-15 minutes until the yeast activates and becomes foamy.
2.       Meanwhile combine the flour, 3 tsp sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
3.       Add the proofed yeast and the remaining 1 cup lukewarm water.
4.       Mix on low speed until the dough has been kneaded for at least 5 minutes before adding the olive oil and thins sliced jalapeno letting it work its way into the dough.
5.       Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured bread board or counter top.
6.       Knead the dough by hand for at least 5 minutes after it comes out of the stand mixer, remembering to use as little flour as possible.
7.       Use the heel of your hand to stretch the dough across the kneading surface in a sort of smearing action, then fold the dough back over itself, turn it around a half turn and do the same again. Keep repeating this action for at least five to 10 minutes to develop good gluten in the dough. The dough should appear relatively smooth but still a little sticky to the touch.
8.       Lightly oil a large bowl with olive oil, place the dough inside, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warm place for at least an hour until the dough doubles in size.
9.       Again on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough back into a ball and cut into 6 equal pieces.
10.   Form the dough pieces into about 5 inch lengths and place them a couple of inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You can dust the parchment with yellow cornmeal if you like but it shouldn't stick to the parchment paper in any case.
11.   Very lightly brush the formed rolls with olive oil. Dust the tops with a little cornmeal
12.   Drape the cookie sheet loosely with plastic wrap and let the rolls rise in a warm place for at least another hour until they at least double in size. You don't want to rush the dough rising at this stage or else your rolls will be too dense.
13.   Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. The oven MUST be fully preheated. Place a small tray of boiling water in the back corner of the oven. I used an aluminum pie plate. This causes humidity inside the oven, which helps the bread fully rise before forming a crust.
14.   Bake for 10 minutes before reducing the heat to 400 degrees F and baking for an additional 15 minutes until the rolls are an even golden brown. They should sound hollow then tapped with your finger.
             15.   Let them cool on a wire rack before serving as fresh as possible with the cooked steak and cheese inside

Marinade meat with dales steak marinade and black pepper, simmer in pan and garnish with caramelized onions and poblanos. Fill with beer cheese

8dEdPbg.jpg

Soft Pretzel Bites

Ingredients:

• 1 and 1/2 cups  warm water, plus 9 more cups for step 5

• 1 packet Red Star Platinum instant yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 Tablespoon  packed light brown sugar

• 1 Tablespoon  unsalted butter, previously melted and not scorching hot

• 4cups all-purpose flour + more for the counter surface

• 1/2 cup baking soda

• 1 large egg, beaten

• coarse sea salt for sprinkling

Directions:

1. Whisk the yeast into 1 and 1/2 cups warm water. Allow to sit for 1 minute. Some clusters of yeast may remain. Add salt, brown sugar, and melted butter. Whisk until fairly combined. Slowly add 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon (or dough hook attached to stand mixer) until dough is thick. Add 3/4 cup more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. If it is still sticky, add up to 1/4 cup more. Poke the dough with your finger - if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.

2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes, then shape into a ball. Place in a large greased mixing bowl. I usually use nonstick spray to grease it, but olive oil works too. Cover and let the dough rest in a warm area for about 10 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

4. With a sharp knife, cut ball of dough into 6 sections. Roll the dough into six 20-inch long ropes. Cut the rope into 1.5 inch pieces to make bites.

5. Combine 9 cups of water and the baking soda in a large pot and bring to a rapid boil. Drop 8-10 pretzel bites into water and let sit for 20 seconds. Remove with a spatula and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure the bites aren't touching.

6. Brush beaten egg over each pretzel bite. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake batches for 15 minutes each, or until golden brown.

XSFzWjC.jpg

Cream Cheese Dipping Sauce

·         4 oz cream cheese, softened
·         2 T butter, softened
·         1 cup powdered sugar
·         1/2 tsp vanilla extract
·         2 T heavy cream

In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined. Add heavy cream and whip until fluffy, about 2 minutes longer.

hdCtPSS.jpg

ZAJVLhb.jpg

Mustard Dip

[SIZE=9pt]Ingredients[/SIZE]

·         1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
·         1 cup mayonnaise
·         1 cup prepared mustard
·         1/2 cup sugar
·         1/4 cup dried minced onion
·         1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
·         1 tablespoon prepared horseradish

[SIZE=9pt]Directions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1.       [/SIZE]1. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve with pretzels

[SIZE=13.3333px]                 Bacon and Beer Cheese dip[/SIZE]

·      6 to 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, diced (I just cut whatever package I bought down the middle and use half)
·      1 garlic clove, minced
·      2½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
·      ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
·      8 ounces beer (I used Fat Tire, but any medium bodied ale or pilsner would be good)
·      8 ounces cream cheese
·      2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
·      2 cups shredded Colby-jack cheese
·      ¼ teaspoon salt
·      ¼ teaspoon pepper
·      1 tablespoon Frank's hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
·      Soft or hard pretzels, for dipping

[SIZE=10pt]INSTRUCTIONS[/SIZE]
1.     Heat a large saucepot over medium-high heat.
2.     Add the bacon and cook until crispy, stirring often, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3.     Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
4.     Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
5.     To the hot grease, add the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
6.     In a small bowl stir together the flour and dry ground mustard. Add the flour to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
7.     Pour in the beer and stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
8.     Add the cream cheese and cook until melted, stirring often to help break down the cheese. The beer will thicken up when you add the cheese, that's a good thing. You'll want to use your spoon to smush the cream cheese and little and get it incorporated into the sauce.
9.     Add the cheddar and Colby-jack cheeses. Stir to combine until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is thick and smooth, about 5-8 minutes.
10.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the hot sauce and stir to combine.
11.  Add almost all of the bacon into the dip, saving a little for garnish. Stir to incorporate the bacon.

MvMNWzW.jpg

ryjdEGC.jpg

5xaAIOt.jpg

Serve and enjoy with the family!

W61MX9h.jpg

SmokenFire said:
Breaded Pork Tenderloin & Sugar Cream Pie - Indianapolis Colts TD Entry

I spent several days searching the internet for Famous Foods of Jacksonville and such, trying to find that dish that was the intersection of something Id like to cook and also something that is justly famous in its town of origin.  Jacksonville, Arizona, Dallas - none of them really had a specific food or dish that won me over.  Then along came Indianapolis, and the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.

2dum1wg.jpg

The breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is not very well known outside of a few midwestern states, and thats a crime I mean to rectify!  The tenderloin sandwich I speak of originated at Nicks Kitchen in tiny Huntington, Indiana back in 1904 and then spread throughout the midwest.  Iowa and Indiana both lay claim to the best tenderloin sandwiches, but downstate Illinois also makes a very respectable version.  It was at the Village Inn located in Spring Bay, IL where I had my very first tenderloin sandwich back in the late 80s, and that was the start of a long and passionate love affair.  Id never made them for myself until now.  :)

DWFt0Hih.jpg

Cut ¾ inch slices from a 3-4lb pork loin and then butterfly them.  Wrap between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound them out till 1/4" thin with a meat mallet or the bottom of a small sauce pan.

rj1736.jpg

Take the flattened pork and dredge it in flour.  Then dip it into an egg wash made from 3 eggs and 1 cup of milk.  Once its fully submerged remove and toss it in a shallow dish thats filled with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp bahamain goat powder, 1 tsp sea salt, ½ cup bread crumbs, ½ cup panko, ½ cup crushed cheese it crackers and ½ cup crushed saltines.

JOzMlqGh.jpg

Slide the breaded pork into a pan filled with 375 degree oil.  Fry for about 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.  Drain on a rack and keep warm in an oven until the rest of the tenderloins are done.

7Q7zmSTh.jpg

A good pork tenderloin sandwich combines the thin tender pork and a savory spicy breading that's fried till perfectly crisp.  Normally they dwarf the bun theyre served on and come with your regular sandwich condiments.  I like mine with pickle, onion and mustard.  

9LE97WPh.jpg

Sides are simple; fries and coleslaw.  I picked up criss cross fries, because theyre fancy.  ;) The coleslaw is fast and easy too: Take 3 cups of cabbage (1 smallish head) and 1 medium carrot and shred them in the food processor.  Add 2 tbsp minced onion, ½ cup mayo, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp aleppo flakes and a tbsp of your favorite hot sauce.  Mix well and refrigerate until youre ready to serve.  

NqrEnpQh.jpg

To round out our meal I have prepared another Hoosier state staple for dessert; Sugar Cream Pie.  Its the official state pie of Indiana!  Its also something Id never heard of until about a week ago. LOL! 

gauTpAnh.jpg

Make a simple pie crust using using 1 ¼ cups flour, 1 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt, 5 oz butter and 3 tbsp cold water.  Roll it out into an 11 inch circle and drape over a pie pan.  When the crust is done make the filling:  Take ¾ cup flour and mix in ½ cup sugar and 1 cup turbinado sugar.  Add ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg and ¼ tsp ground ginger.  Mix these ingredients well and then add 1 ½ cups heavy cream, 1 ½ cups half and half and 2 tsp vanilla extract.  Blend everything up very well with a whisk and then pour into your prepared pie crust.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 - 45 minutes until the crust is golden and the center is set.  (I used the toothpick test method and it took 40 minutes)  Dust with some more cinnamon and allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.

CPpiS3Yh.jpg

This was a lot of fun, and I really loved that sandwich. It will be making more frequent appearances at our table. Amazing entries all - you guys have blown this TD up!! :)
Nicely done! Definitely had a few of those myself. Nice job making it huge too. That's the only way to do it.

Ashen said:
Grant - that anchovy paste = awesome. First time doing that? Will the SV the tone it down or bump it up?
Not sure about that, but am pretty sure the reverse-sear will ultimately process it as per how I've used it in the past to reinforce the beef ...

Love that nutty fullness!

Dru, you absolutely nailed it! Speaking as a current resident of Western Illilois, that sandwich is the epitome of the pork tenderloin. Crispy as hell? Check! Dwarfs the bun? Check! Even the onion, pickles and mustard are exactly what I put on mine when I order one at Gray's Sandwich Shop after a long Saturday on the TransCon picking berries that BNSF maintains for me.

KJxW6UD.jpg

fJUcbSE.jpg

oY6xrti.jpg

The only thing missing from these ^ pics is your sandwich. You nailed it! :cheers:

edit: Because double IPA.

Was on a road trip this weekend, so am just now getting to peruse this thread. First entry..... trust Scovie to turn Cincy Chile into mole! Hahaha! Actually, I like the twist from Twisp on one of my childhood favs - while TX is my home state, my parents both hailed from the Cincy area. Every visit to fam included visits to Skyline - had to go to the one by Grandma's house, as that was her fav. My uncle's fav was just across the river, while my aunt preferred one near her favorite Graeter's shop.

What a Night!!!

Dessert!
IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5923.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Sorry, I'll get all the prose out tomorrow....    we are all stuffed, my sugars are off the charts...but it's worth it!  Wonderful afternoon with the family.  I'm back to the game~

PS- I REALLY HOPE everyone posts some good prep pics with their team title in their final post.  I cannot keep up with all the delicious looking food and who they belong to!  Make your final post as yummy as the prep pics.   MMmmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back