• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
salsalady said:

PS- I REALLY HOPE everyone posts some good prep pics with their team title in their final post.  I cannot keep up with all the delicious looking food and who they belong to!  Make your final post as yummy as the prep pics.   MMmmmmm!

Hahaha. Later for that. Waaaaaaaaay too derunk for that right now. But, yeah voting is igoing to he hard withoug some organization here. Righ now it looks llike somebody took the best buffet if the world and put it in a bouncy castle.
     Your tarts look delicious@}!\]\\|!!

Green Bay Game Day Beer Brats

With their beloved Packers not in the Superbowl, game day in Wisconsin would be a little bitter, but any excuse for a party or get together with good food, friends and football is a good day in Wisconsin.

What is more Wisconsin then Beer Brats and Deep Fried Cheese Curds?

I started the night before with making the sweet heat chili to use as a topper for the Brats.

Sweet Heat Chili

1 large can kidney beans drained
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 16 oz can crushed tomatos
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion
1 package chili seasoning mix. (this was a no name brand from small organic foods store)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 healthy shot of dried hot peppers of your heat choice. ( I used a mixed blend of all the odd ball peppers I had at the end of the season)

Put everything but the beef in crock pot
brown beef, drain and add to pot.
cook on low overnight.

IMG_20170205_0849384991.jpg

Beer Brats

6 to 8 fresh stuffed brats
beer as needed

Boil brats in beer ( add water if you don't want to waste enough beer to completely cover brats at a boil)
When cooked ( usually about 20 min) remove from pan and put on grill.
Grill till skin is brown and a little crispy

Brats after the beer boil

IMG_20170205_202713715.jpg

It is little but it worked lol
IMG_20170205_211445616.jpg

Wisconsin Deep Fried Cheese Curds

1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup beer
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I skipped this on this batch as these curds were very salty to start)
2 eggs
2 lb cheese curds broken into pieces

Heat oil to 375

Whisk together milk, flour, beer, and eggs to form a thin batter.
Put 6 or 8 curds into batter at a time, remove with wire strainer and shake to remove excess batter.
Deep fry curds until golden brown
Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Curds and batter
IMG_20170205_204244100.jpg

True North Potato Salid

8 to 10 med potatoes
4 hard boiled eggs
1 lg onion chopped
3 or 4 celery ribs chopped
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar ( I used red wine vinegar)
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder ( Omitted due to an allergy)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
paprika

Boil peeled potatoes until done, cool to room temp
Dice potatoes and put in large bowl
stir in celery and onion
Mix mayo, vinegar,mustard, salt and pepper  and stir into potato mix
chill and serve with a sprinkle of paprika

Build your brat how you like

Bun, Brat, a big glob of chili onions and top it all with sharp cheddar cheese
Plated on the classic paper plate

IMG_20170205_212634964.jpg

And the cut shot
IMG_20170205_212748897.jpg

This TD was a blast for me. My Better half is not a sports fan and does not drink  so opportunities to cook like this are few and far between.This brought back memories of very cold days in the Northwoods with a house full of friends and family all watching the game.

CheriLBW said:
So much good food in this TD.
Gonna slap some pics up now and edit to final entry when I can sit at the Pc in the morning.
Brats after the beer boil

attachicon.gif
IMG_20170205_202713715.jpg
Curds and batter
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170205_204244100.jpg

It is little but it worked lol
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170205_211445616.jpg

Plated
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170205_212634964.jpg

And the cut shot
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170205_212748897.jpg
Will clean it up and stuffs later.
I am gonna go eat!

...and now I'm up home in Extreme Northwestern Wood County. Thank you! You did us proud!

Eats of Buffalo

20170205_194752.jpg

20170205_194632.jpg

Kummelweck rolls for Beef on Weck

20170205_084626.jpg

20170205_123204.jpg

Place 1 cup of warm water, 1 yeast packet, and 1 cup of flower in bowl whisked up and allow it to set 15 minutes. Add 1 large egg white, 2 tsp honey, 1.5 tsp kosher salt, 1 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp veg oil, and mix, then start blending in remaining flour and knead until a ball is formed. Cover and let it rest 1-2 hours until doubled in size. Spread dough out when ready and divide into 12 rolls, place on baking sheet and score the top. Brush a whipped egg white on the top and sprinkle the top with coarse salt and caraway seeds. Bake at 425 for about 15 -20 minutes.

Beef & Jus

20170205_093440.jpg

Season beef with salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef roast in hot oil until browned on all sides on each side, 4 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 125 degrees F. Transfer beef to a plate to rest. Remove skillet from heat and whisk flour into skillet until flour taste cooks off, about 1 minute. Pour cold beef broth into skillet; place skillet over medium-high heat. Stir balsamic vinegar, black pepper, dried thai peppers, and any accumulated juices from the roast beef plate into beef broth mixture; cook until jus reduces slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Slice sirloin as thinly as possible against the grain. Pile meat onto the base of each roll. Spread a thick layer of horseradish on the top bun and place top bun over meat. Serve with jus for dipping.

White hots Bockwurst style

20170205_113307.jpg

20170205_131141.jpg

20170205_131920.jpg

Place a baking sheet, 2 large mixing bowls, the stand mixer bowl, the paddle attachment, the grinder attachment, and the coarse grinding plate (1/4 inch) in the freezer until very cold, at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, trim the veal and pork shoulders of any excess fat, gristle, tendons, glands, silver skin, or blood vessels. Cut the veal, pork, and pork fat into 1-inch pieces and mix to evenly combine. Arrange in a single layer on the frozen baking sheet and place in the freezer until stiff but not frozen solid, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the meat is ready, attach the frozen grinder attachment to the mixer. Push the chilled meat to one side of the baking sheet. With the mixer on medium speed, grind the meat by the handful onto the empty side of the baking sheet. (The meat should easily pass through the auger and grinding plate. If it appears to stick to the front of the grinding plate, disassemble the grinder and clean out any tendons or fat that may be entangled in the blade.) Arrange the ground meat in an even layer and place it back in the freezer until stiff but not frozen solid, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, clean the grinder attachment and pieces and place them back in the freezer. Place the spices in a medium bowl and mix to evenly combine; set aside. When the ground meat is ready, reattach the frozen grinder attachment to the mixer. Sprinkle the spice mixture of 1/4 cup chives, 1/4 cup garlic chives, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/2 cup white onioin, 3/4 tsp cloves, 1 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp peach bhut jolokia, 1/4 cup kosher salt, and evenly spread over the meat and grind half of the meat mixture on medium speed into one of the frozen bowls; place in the freezer. Grind the other half into the frozen stand mixer bowl. Remove the grinder attachment from the mixer, attach the frozen paddle attachment, and attach the stand mixer bowl to the mixer. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add 1 cup of the milk and 2 of the eggs to the meat and mix until just incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and mix the filling until the fat is well incorporated and the mixture appears sticky, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove to the second frozen bowl and place in the freezer. Transfer remaining filling to the stand mixer bowl and repeat the paddling step with the remaining 1 cup milk and 2 eggs. Add to the bowl of filling already in the freezer. Clean the grinder attachment and place it back in the freezer. (You will no longer need the grinding plate.) Meanwhile, check the meat mixture for proper seasoning by forming a small, thin patty. Pan-fry until the center is no longer raw. Taste it, keeping in mind that the flavor will develop as the sausage sits, or ages; add additional seasoning to the ground meat as desired.

Buffalo Wings

20170205_181332 (1).jpg

20170205_182126.jpg

cut up chicken fried in peanut oil and tossed in sauce. Sauce consists of melting 1 stick of butter and
adding to it 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/4 tsp onion powder 1/4 tsp moruga powder 4 tsp cider vinegar 6 tbsp of Franks hot sauce.

OVERTIME BONUS!

Wow what a game! Best I have ever seen, I don't really watch sports.

In addition to the 10 pic limit in your final post you can add 1 more pic for 11 total. Pick one of your best shots you would normally not include, like a flaming grill shot, or simmering chili, and label it Overtime Bonus Pic. :)

Final Entry

Danger Dogs with a twist – Entry for the Los Angeles Rams

The Danger Dog is a local delicacy of Los Angeles.  It is typically served via a cart on the streets of LA.  The Danger Dog is a bacon-wrapped fried hot dog on a bun and topped with sautéed onions and bell peppers, with mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard, sometimes finished off with a grilled jalapeno pepper.  The term "danger dog" originates from this form of hot dog's reputation as being of cheap quality, as it is often sold by unlicensed street vendors.
My take on the Danger dog is to pump up the flavor by smoking the hot dogs and applying a spicy rub.
Ingredients:
qVZwv9B.jpg

1 package Ball Park Angus Beef hot dogs
1 package Oscar Meyer Center Cut bacon
3-4 Jalapeno peppers cored and sliced thinly into rings
2-3 medium onions sliced
1 green bell pepper thinly sliced.
Your favorite condiments in squeezy plastic bottles or whatever you have laying around.
Cherry wood chips or your favorite wood chips for smoking
Optional: Hot pepper oil for some extra heat.  In my case, I used a jar of olive oil that I added dried Super Chiles and dried CGN21500 x Galapagos Isabela Island Habaneros that I grew in my garden last season.
Side dish can be cole slaw, or whatever you have laying around.  I used a serving of Picklese, which is very hot.  Made with many Scotch Brains peppers from my garden last season.
Rub Ingredients:
mkhfZHG.jpg

Half Dark Brown Sugar
¼ Hungarian Hot Paprika
¼ equal parts of the other stuff seen in the picture, well just a teaspoon of Cayenne and equal parts of the other other stuff..
Preparation
I had some fun with the preparation and decided to spiral cut the hot dogs.  Then I took my Jalapenos, cored them and cut them into thin rings.   I made a single slice into the ring to create a Jalapeno twist and put the twist into the spiral cut dogs.  I then wrapped the dog in bacon, thus holding the Jalapenos in place.
lm0Vzja.jpg

Once the dogs are wrapped, I lightly brushed some of the Olio Santo (Hot Pepper oil) over the exterior and then applied the rub to all sides.
oDTwuBJ.jpg

I got my smoker running at 225 degrees F and then placed the dogs in for 2.5 hours.   I put in a handful of chips into the smoker every half hour.
10 minutes before they are done, I took my sliced onions and thinly sliced bell pepper and sautéed them.  I do not have a picture of that.  I also threw in some jalapeno twists into this as well.
Time to serve
bA2EC7q.jpg

Once the dogs have been cooked and smoked, it is time to serve ‘em up.  Toasting the bun is optional.  I didn’t toast the bun.  Into the bun went the dog and I covered it with onions and peppers, squiggling on a line of mustard, mayo and ketchup.  The mustard is hard to see in the pic but it is there.
PFab13Q.jpg

And one last pic of it cut in half
5u81AWC.jpg

Overall, these were very easy to make.  They were a hit at the Party I brought them to.  One person took the bacon off the dog and ate it plain and loved the smoked dog with the Jalapenos.  Her daughter ate the bacon and loved it.   So, easy to make, not much prep, another use of the smoker and another cool way to eat a hot dog.  Thanks to the forum administrator, The Hot Pepper for the suggestion.  It really took the smoked dogs in a better direction.

The Hot Pepper said:
Atlanta Falcons - HopsNBarley
Blatimore Ravens - grantmichaels
Buffalo Bills - Student of Spice
Cincinnati Bengals - Scoville DeVille
Green Bay Packers - CheriLBW
Hosuton Texans - sobelri
Indianapolis Colts - SmokenFire
Kansas City Chiefs - Ozzy2001
Los Angeles Rams - bpiela
Miami Dolphine - Grass Snake
New England Patriots - dragonsfire
New Orleans Saints - hotstuff
New York Jets - tctenten
Philadelphia Eagles - D3monic
San Francisco 49ers - Rymerpt
Seattle Seahawks - salsalady
Tennessee Titans - Hybrid_Mode_01
Washington Redskins - paulky_2000

The Hot Pepper said:
OVERTIME BONUS!

Wow what a game! Best I have ever seen, I don't really watch sports.

In addition to the 10 pic limit in your final post you can add 1 more pic for 11 total. Pick one of your best shots you would normally not include, like a flaming grill shot, or simmering chili, and label it Overtime Bonus Pic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back