• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beginner mite help

You haven't seen the word genre describe plants because the word genre doesn't describe anything.

It literally means type or kind.

If you say you listen to several genres of music you are not making a description, rather you are saying you listen to different kinds of music.

The only basic requirement of the use of the word is that whatever it refers to must obviously have diversity of form ergo different types or kinds.

A bonsai is a type of plant, a shade tree is a type of plant etc.

If you have a genuine interest in language and learning more about the word genre you can use this link:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/genre

What you may not know about the word genre is that it is a borrowed French word that comes from the Latin word: genus. The Latin word genus literally means type or kind. It is also ironically a type or kind of category unto itself in the K P C O F G S system of vascular plant taxonomy that uses binomial nomenclature.

You probably haven't realized or don't care that in terms of the definition of categorical types, varieties or kinds the Latin word genus and the English word genre have the same definition.

Since you asked... the types or genres of plants that I grow include but are not limited to: succulents, house plants, medicinal and psychoactive plants and aquatic plants.

Or do you believe that when the word genre is used for art or music or books it has a different definition and does not refer to categories or types?

Don't you think that labeling types of plants with music specific categories is a bit nonsensical? Saying a plant is vaporwave makes as much sense as saying a song is houseplant.

However that doesn't change the definition of the word genre.

I am curious, what was the definition that you ascribed to the word genre?

You clearly do not believe it to mean a category, type or kind so what was the definition you assumed it had?

Pay enough attention to my word use and you will find that I tend to use them to mean their actual definitions and I typically avoid using colloquial definitions and I don't use connotations in place of definitions.

Perhaps you have something against autistic people or the literalism they tend to favor when it comes to language? Because for your information I am and I do and perhaps your passive aggressive mockery is better suited to some other purpose as opposed to directing it at me?

Still if passive aggressively attacking and insulting strangers on the internet is what it takes to entertain you then feel free to continue.

I'll get over it, I promise. ;)

Yumyumyellow said:
That's thrips. 
It's not uncommon to have a couple different pests at the same time- you probably have all of the things and that's why it's so frustrating.
Also, the soap and neem work well together because neem is oil, soap is a surfactant and helps emulsify the oil droplets while you're spraying and the peppermint oil is an effective synergistic insecticide. 
Everything else these guys recommended is perfect.

My background is Virginia Tech Crop and Soil Environmental Science, Agronomy and Entomology Specialization

Ya, you're 100% correct. Saw that pic of the only thrip op could find and his text book Thrip pic, with some calling it a spider mite...

Also in another thread of same plants, OP posted pics showing leafs with tiny spider mite type pin holes, and on this thread, a fuzzy(not conclusive imo) pics of what looks to be maybe a spider mite.
Agree with you, probably a all to common compound pest problem.
But what did the posted damage..? Who is the main culprit..?

So looking at these damaged plant pics the op posted in first post of this thread, whats your opinion of this type damage, 'who done it'.
 Imo it looks a lot like text book broad mite damage Ive seen way to many times here in sFL, but being a lowly M E, its just a logical thinking anecdotal guess...

Just curious, whats your opinion Yumy..? I'd like to learn what a Entomology Specialization expert's opinion is on the damage in the pics. Entomology is a fascinating subject to me...

Although to the op it really doesn't matter what type of soft bodied sucking insect did it, as all the pesticides talked about in this thread will kill any of the aforementioned pests as long as they're sprayed correctly and in a continuing routine...

post-16220-0-35214700-1603183642_thumb.jpg

post-16220-0-22342000-1603183465_thumb.jpg

ACS1- You're probably right with broad mite as main culprit. Each type of mite has unique toxins from the next which make the leaves curl in varying manners. Curiosity and anecdotal experience is what drives scientific progression.

From what i've seen, broad mite toxins make the foliage twist in all different directions, two spot spider mites cause necrotic spotting with scorching and curling to follow, russet mites cause a downward fold and curl to make more humid microclimates. Thrips damage looks similar to two-spotted spider mite damage, but since thrips are usually vectors for virus, other identifiers include rosette patterns beginning at the apical meristem, circles forming on the leaves or mosaicism.

Yumyumyellow said:
ACS1- You're probably right with broad mite as main culprit. Each type of mite has unique toxins from the next which make the leaves curl in varying manners. Curiosity and anecdotal experience is what drives scientific progression.

From what i've seen, broad mite toxins make the foliage twist in all different directions, two spot spider mites cause necrotic spotting with scorching and curling to follow, russet mites cause a downward fold and curl to make more humid microclimates. Thrips damage looks similar to two-spotted spider mite damage, but since thrips are usually vectors for virus, other identifiers include rosette patterns beginning at the apical meristem, circles forming on the leaves or mosaicism.
Thanks for the info. Have noticed exactly what you say. Some pests make leafs up curl, some down curl, some make them twisted, some deformed, some stunt/shut down the plant, broad mites seem to do all of the above with a vengeance.

Back