• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

Im going to add a little extra molasses to the next one but not until a little before using it. I figured once the stuff gets in the ground it might like a good meal. Plus the additional calcium and magnesium are not gunna hurt a thing.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Im going to add a little extra molasses to the next one but not until a little before using it. I figured once the stuff gets in the ground it might like a good meal. Plus the additional calcium and magnesium are not gunna hurt a thing.

The only thing about molasses...  It's OK for brewing tea - but like people, microbes go for easy (possibly delicious) carbs.  We really want to make sure that we don't just dump molasses into the ground, because we want our microbes to break down what's in the soil, and not just binge on empty calories.  Ideally, you want all of your molasses to be consumed in the brew.  So, I'd recommend not to go molasses crazy.  Use just what you need to brew the tea, but let the tea do its job in the ground.
Your beneficials WILL take the path of least resistance.

solid7 said:

The only thing about molasses...  It's OK for brewing tea - but like people, microbes go for easy (possibly delicious) carbs.  We really want to make sure that we don't just dump molasses into the ground, because we want our microbes to break down what's in the soil, and not just binge on empty calories.  Ideally, you want all of your molasses to be consumed in the brew.  So, I'd recommend not to go molasses crazy.  Use just what you need to brew the tea, but let the tea do its job in the ground.
Your beneficials WILL take the path of least resistance.
I totally agree here. The soil food web will take care of itself once properly established. But that does bring up an interesting question. Have all the sugars been consumed when it's time inoculate the soils. I am going to have to add that to the recipe and adjust molasses dosing apropriately.

CAPCOM said:
Have all the sugars been consumed when it's time inoculate the soils. I am going to have to add that to the recipe and adjust molasses dosing apropriately.

Maybe, maybe not.  One could go crazy with tests to figure this out.  But my main point was, get the tea brewed ASAP, and let the food source in the AACT taper off, so that the microbes get started right away, on the job they were bred for. (once in the ground)

solid7 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  One could go crazy with tests to figure this out.  But my main point was, get the tea brewed ASAP, and let the food source in the AACT taper off, so that the microbes get started right away, on the job they were bred for. (once in the ground)

Not really too much of an issue to find out how much sugar is still available in the tea, and probably not  critical either. But just nice to know maybe. No sense in using more components then you have to to accomplish the same thing. And as stated. I want the little critters to go to work immediately.

CAPCOM said:

Not really too much of an issue to find out how much sugar is still available in the tea, and probably not  critical either. But just nice to know maybe. No sense in using more components then you have to to accomplish the same thing. And as stated. I want the little critters to go to work immediately.

You're right about putting them to work right away.  As you stated, an accurate count not critical at all, but I am all for efficiency in application.  If you've got the means to find the sugar count, then for sure...
I'm guessing that you're a hobby brewer? :)

solid7 said:

You're right about putting them to work right away.  As you stated, an accurate count not critical at all, but I am all for efficiency in application.  If you've got the means to find the sugar count, then for sure...
I'm guessing that you're a hobby brewer? :)

No, although I would love to start making some mead. 
Not a brewer, just really digging in this year to growing peppers.
Hopefully the end results will be in the photos on my Glog.

CAPCOM said:
Not a brewer, just really digging in this year to growing peppers.
Hopefully the end results will be in the photos on my Glog.

I love it when growers take an interest in advancing their knowledge, and always pushing to find better ways.  Your efforts will undoubtedly pay off.  Best of luck on that grow, and subsequent Glog.
I have a feeling that you'll do great.

Molasses is not just for the bacteria. Its also a reasonably good source of plant nutrients. Adding an additional tbs per gallon wont add much carbs. That is all i add to the tea when its started. During application i sometimes add fish emulsion at half strength too. Depending on how much rain we had, container or ground and the last time i used any fertilizer.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Molasses is not just for the bacteria. Its also a reasonably good source of plant nutrients. Adding an additional tbs per gallon wont add much carbs. That is all i add to the tea when its started. During application i sometimes add fish emulsion at half strength too. Depending on how much rain we had, container or ground and the last time i used any fertilizer.

Those nutrients aren't available, though, until the bacteria munch them. (which is what is happening in your tea)  Again, back to the notion of feeding the microbes, not the plant.  And if you're using fish emulsion in your tea, there is no reason to add extra molasses to the soil, because that's already going to be additional microbe food.

Your call, of course.  Just saying that the molasses isn't going to be much of a direct benefit, and you hopefully have plenty of organic matter in your mix or soil for the microbes to be working on.

solid7 said:

Those nutrients aren't available, though, until the bacteria munch them. (which is what is happening in your tea)  Again, back to the notion of feeding the microbes, not the plant.  And if you're using fish emulsion in your tea, there is no reason to add extra molasses to the soil, because that's already going to be additional microbe food.

Your call, of course.  Just saying that the molasses isn't going to be much of a direct benefit, and you hopefully have plenty of organic matter in your mix or soil for the microbes to be working on.

Exactly, the sugars in the molasses are consumed by the bacteria and pooped out. the bacteria poop is a broken down form of carbs among other things that are immediately available for plant uptake.

Almost 48 hours and just beginning to see signs of foaming. Grow room is a cool 70 degrees and I have 4 air stones in a 20 gal trash can.

20180601_225717.jpg

What method/recipe are you using?

Typically, you want to be brewed and applying in 20-24 hours.  Many (not sure if I can say most) teas won't be viable past 48 hours.

15 gals RO water
6 cups worm castings
6 tbs hi brix molasses
1tbs persephone's palate
1 tbs aphrodites extract 

So, going into the 3dr day, what to do with failed brew? re-inoculate with more worm castings or other microbe source such as guanos or add H2O2 to bulk up the O levels. Is a failed brew inevitably a failed brew or can it be revived like a failed hollandaise?

CAPCOM said:
15 gals RO water
6 cups worm castings
6 tbs hi brix molasses
I was good up to this point...

CAPCOM said:
1tbs persephone's palette
1 tbs aphrodites
But what is this?

Was this recipe recommended? If so, did they give you a timeline for the brew?

Volume doesn't matter with teas, the brew time is constant according to the proportions of the ingredients. Unless these ingredients have some property that inhibits microbial development, you should have been done and dusted by 28 hours, for sure. But again, that's provided that your extra ingredients don't have a say in this. I'm just not familiar with what you're cooking up...

Back