• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Beginners luck.....?

My first hot sauce is complete. After looking through an uncountable number of posts and recipes online, I came up with the following. I started with a small batch so as not to waste too much product if I screwed it up.

Dirty Hippie Homegrown Hot Sauce

1/2 lb. assorted homegrown peppers: Thai, large cayenne, bhut jolokia, Bulgarian carrot pepper, Tabasco, and Serrano.
5 large garlic cloves
1 c. fresh lime juice
1 1/2 t. course sea salt
2 1/2 T. agave nectar
2 t. brown sugar

- rough chop peppers and garlic in food processor.
- add all ingredients to sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- return to food processor and whiz until desired consistency.
- back into the pan and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every five.

Now this is where I should have stopped......
But I added a dash of lime juice to thin it out a wee bit; I should have used distilled water.
I spent the next 10 minutes trying to regain the balance I had by adding another teaspoon of brown sugar about a teaspoon each of agave and salt. And some water to thin. Then simmered another ten minutes leaving it alone. By the time it went into the small swing-top jars I had (sterilized, of course), it was delicious! Lime up front, with a detectable hint of garlic, a subtle sweetness, and a strong heat that lingers in the mouth. For my first attempt ever, I dig it!

I would now like to thank all of you here for providing a fantastic base of information and a mind numbing amount of recipes and inspiration. Cheers!

http://i.imgur.com/bBrLENx.jpg

Thanks, guys!
If I'd have used a deeper sauce pan, I'd have been able to use an immersion blender to get it a touch smoother, but that lesson was learned the hard way. LOL For my next attempt, I'm thinking a fermentation, so I can compare the differences side by side. One thing I've noticed in most all of the pictures of fermentations are clear jars. I know from homebrewing, that light is not a good thing, does the same hold true for fermenting a pepper mash? Would a brown growler be a better choice of vessel or make no difference?

Back